When do you think Lexington will compete?

These are playoff scores in recent years in games pitting Trinity against the best teams in Lexington and Louisville in the playoffs.

Trinity 56, Henry Clay 35

Trinity 38, Male 34

Trinity 41, Henry Clay 20

Trinity 14, St. Xavier 6

Trinity 25, Dunbar 13

Trinity 17, St. Xavier 14

Trinity 49, Dunbar 7

Trinity 59, Male 56

Trinity 50, Tates Creek 0

Trinity 45, Male 19

Trinity 52, Tates Creek 21

Male 34, Trinity 14

There is a clear pattern of Trinity getting tougher challenges from Male and St. Xavier than whichever team advanced out of Lexington. Even in 2004, when Trinity was upset by Dixie Heights in the second round, St. Xavier romped over the Lexington-area winner (Scott County) in the final and had tougher games in town.

Which is more important, the score or the outcome? You can say what you want to about which game was closer and where the teams were from, but you can't deny Trinity's dominance over the state in 4A. Count titles instead of point totals and you might come up with the same thing.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't necessarily put Trinity "head and shoulders above" St. Xavier and Male ... especially since two postseason wins were close calls (17-14 over St. Xavier in 2003 and 38-34 over Male last season).

Better? Yes ...

"Head and shoulders" better? Not quite ...

That is head and shoulders better. 3 to 1 and 0

Well it's hard to beat a team (or lose to them) if you've never played them in a real game. Trinity and Lex. Cath. have never played in a real game.

Why's that? Do the players change? If what you say is true, then how can anyone say that X and Male are better than Lexington schools when 1: they've never really play them in a real game, and 2: both lose almost on a yearly basis to Trinity?

Now, I for one agree that Trinity is and has been the best team in the state for a while now, I don't know what you can conclude from a scrimmage? Coaches are not playing or preparing for it like a game? Coaches are trying to see what your team has and see what players will step up? I don't think LexCath watches film of Trinity before they play, which makes a big difference.

FYI. Even for scrimmages, coaches watch film, especially on someone like Trinity. Even in a scrimmage, would you want your team to show up totally unpreparred, get blasted, and lose all team morale before the season even starts?

You mean, you will take Manuel and Central against the Lexington Public schools, but what about Lexington Catholic?

Who is this Manuel you speak of and why would he go against the Lexington Public schools or Lexington Catholic on his own?

both lose almost on a yearly basis to Trinity?

Male lost by 6 inches to T last year after being up almost the entire game. Other than that game, they haven't played T since '02, so definitely not "yearly."

X lost to Trinity last year 10-0 in a game that didn't make it to even the second quarter. In '05, X thumped Trinity 48-16 before losing by 8 in the state finals (in a game that came down to a 4th down stand for Trinity). In '04, X also thumped Trinity 36-18. So in the past 3 years, X is 2-2 against Trinity, with one of Trinity's wins coming from a rain-shortened game (in which they looked like they had clear control of the game).

Trinity has had a fantastic run this decade, there's no denying that, but to act like X (or Male) hasn't been competitive with them is just false.

Male lost by 6 inches to T last year after being up almost the entire game. Other than that game, they haven't played T since '02, so definitely not "yearly."

You misrepresent that game. Trinity lead until the late 3rd quarter. I have watched it many times over. Trinity came out and took charge in the first half. Male didn't get going until the 3rd quarter and didn't take the lead until late in the same quarter. So Trinity led most of that game to be specific.

X lost to Trinity last year 10-0 in a game that didn't make it to even the second quarter. In '05, X thumped Trinity 48-16 before losing by 8 in the state finals (in a game that came down to a 4th down stand for Trinity). In '04, X also thumped Trinity 36-18. So in the past 3 years, X is 2-2 against Trinity, with one of Trinity's wins coming from a rain-shortened game (in which they looked like they had clear control of the game).

Trinity has had a fantastic run this decade, there's no denying that, but to act like X (or Male) hasn't been competitive with them is just false.

The bolded part struck a nerve. Trinity was dominant and up for the entire first half. Male came back in the third and as I recall took the lead late in the third quarter. Trinity outscored Male in the forth quarter to get the win. I don't know how you can say that Male was up for almost the entire game when in fact they only had a lead for less then a quarter.

And when speaking of the recent series with Trinity why limit it to the last three years?? How about making it Beatty vs. Glaser? What's the record then? Maybe Trinity isn't "head and shoulders" above X but we have proved on the field that we can beat them, even when X has "the best team in the state" and even after that "best team in the state" had beaten them handily in the regular season.

I apologize, my recollection of that game was obviously incorrect. I half-listened to the game on the internet. I thought Male was up pretty big and T had a fantastic comeback.

I used the last 3 years, because that's how long the seniors have been a part of their respective programs. There's no doubt T has dominated titles this decade and the series for that matter, but I just don't think it's accurate to say that at this point, T is heads and shoulders above the other two teams, especially when one of those teams beat them twice by over 18 points in the past three years. Better than, sure, but not heads and shoulders. Again, T's past three championships were decided in games against X and Male in which T created their break and won by a matter of inches. Three breaks go the other way, and you're looking at X with 3 titles since '03, Male with one and T with none.

Just an observation on how easily things could be completely different.

I don't want to turn this into an X/T/H contest though, this is about Lou./Lex.

I dont know why it is like this right now, but Louisville schools are much better in football right now in general than Lexington schools are. When in basketball Lexington schools are better than Louisville schools. Ballard was very good this year and Male was good until one of their best players was injured, but Lexington with Bryan Station, Tates Creek, Lexington Catholic and even Lafayette and Henry Clay had some very good basketball teams.

I think Buddy is arguing a losing battle. Though in my opinion, T is not head over heels better, but maybe their preparation has been a little better than X or M. It doesn't hurt to have Beatty on your side. That may be the issue with Lexington schools. What type of quality coaches does Lexington produce? Any Lexington coach win 1 or 2 or 4 state championships?

Is it really Lexongton vs. Louisville or is it when will anyone be competitive with the Big Three?

That is it more than anything else. Although I would say that more often than not I would take the next tier of Louisville schools against Lexington schools.

I am a Trinity supporter. I do not think T was head and shoulders above X the past couple of years. I do think T was better, however, and I think T improved during the season more than X did and that's why T won the championship games after having lost the September games. Also, I have seen quite a few of the scrimmages against LexCath. On one or two occasions LexCath played T just about even, it appeared. However, one does not know what the respective coaching staffs wanted to get out of the scrimmages, whether they emphasized it, whether they wanted to take a look at certain young players, etc. I don't believe one can definitively say that one team is better than another (unless there is a vast disparity) based on a preseason scrimmage.