When do you think Lexington will compete?

To objectively refute The Golfers position, Louisville schools, spearheaded by Trinity, have dominated 4A football throughout its existence. Remove Trinity from the mixture, and Male and X would be dominant. Examine the record since 2000:

Male

2006-At a minimum, 2nd best team in the state. Highest computer rankings. One loss-Trinity-in a game that went down to the last play. The only non-Jefferson County opponent was an excellent Hopkinsville squad. Final score: Male, 56-7.

2002-14-1 record. Only loss: Trinity, 59-56, in a state championship game many feel is the greatest ever played in Kentucky. Non-Jefferson County Kentucky opponents: Hopkinsville, Highlands, Lex. Cath, Owensboro, Nelson County, Henderson County. No game closer than 11 points.

2001-Runnerup to Trinity. Record v. non-Jefferson County Kentucky opponents: 5-1. Hopkinsville, Highlands (Male by 30), Lex Cath, Meade County, Owensboro (twice).

2000-Undefeated state champion. Record v. Non-Jefferson County Kentucky opponents: 4-0. Beat Hoptown, Oldham County, and Nelson County (twice). Closest game v. Non-Jefferson County Kentucky opponents: 20 points.

X

2000- Lost only to Male and Trinity. Record v. Non-Jefferson County Kentucky opponents: 4-0. Beat Madison Central, Bullitt East and Meade County by 32 or more. Also beat North Hardin.

2003-State runnerup to Trinity. Record v. Non-Jefferson County Kentucky opponents:3-1. Loss was by 5 points.

2004- State champion. Record v. Non-Jefferson County Kentucky opponents:7-0. Beat Scott County(twice), Lex Cath, Meade County, Nelson County, North Hardin and Henderson County. North Hardin lost to X by 14: all others by 25 or more. X won two by 50+.

2005- State runner up to Trinity. Record v. Non-Jefferson County Kentucky opponents: 6-0.

Overall records against top out in state squads:36-2. The two losses were close (5 points). Many wins were by 40 or more. Since 2000, 12 of 14 teams in the 4A finals were T, X, or Male.

Actually in 2000 Male lost to St.X in the regular season. That was their only loss however.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to Diogenes post: has any of the Big 3 lost a game to any other Louisville school outside of the Big 3 in the past 8-10 years? Manual beating Male in 02 (?) is the only one I can think of.

Bottomline is Trinity is the best of the Big Three (and distancing itself with each title), and the Big Three is better than all other 4A (6A) football in the state regardless of geography.....

In regards to Diogenes post: has any of the Big 3 lost a game to any other Louisville school outside of the Big 3 in the past 8-10 years? Manual beating Male in 02 (?) is the only one I can think of.

Bottomline is Trinity is the best of the Big Three (and distancing itself with each title), and the Big Three is better than all other 4A (6A) football in the state regardless of geography.....

In 2003 eventual state champion Trinity lost to both Manual and Seneca. Manual while losing nearly all the games vs the Big Three has been competitive (with exception to 2006 which was somewhat of a rebuilding year) especially when considering the big three's performance vs others.

MvsT 37-36 MvsX 0-21 MvsH 26-32

MvsT 14-18 MvsX 14-28 MvsH 23-24

MvsT 34-38 MvsX 7-17 MvsH 28-31 MvsX 18-33

MvsT 3-28 MvsX 6-20 MvsH 7-35 MvsX 9-39

My point is that the big three aren't unreachable nor can they simply waltz through the area without any competition. I would think a look at the competition outside of Louisville you wouldn't find as many close games from the best teams of other areas as the fourth or fifth best team from Louisville has given them.

Another thing to add re Male and X is that these schools do not get the opportunity to beat a Lexington school in the playoffs each year. Thus, their superiority isn't manifested as clearly as Trinity's. Make no mistake about it though, the gap from X and Male to the Lexington schools is very large, whether that is proven each year or not.

Another thing to add re Male and X is that these schools do not get the opportunity to beat a Lexington school in the playoffs each year. Thus, their superiority isn't manifested as clearly as Trinity's. Make no mistake about it though, the gap from X and Male to the Lexington schools is very large, whether that is proven each year or not.

To be fair I felt that Henry Clay would have beaten X last year had they played. I think they were the third best team in the state behind Trinity and Male.

Was this the game Highlands did not play the second half?

I had forgotten about that game. I am not certain that this was the very same game, but your point is, I believe, the dominance of the Jefferson County schools over the out in the state schools. In this,you are correct.

Also, RowdyRedRam's post bears comment. He is also correct that Manual is often competitive with X, Trinity, and Male. Observers of Jefferson County football can attest to any number of games these three have played with Manual that came down to an interception, a missed field goal, or a botched play that prevented the Rams from triumph. It also bears mention that Pleasure Ridge Park has a young coach, an enthusiastic following, and is gradually creeping into contention among the elite in Jefferson County high school football.

As to the nut of the issue, "When will Lexington compete with Louisville schools in 6A? Do you think it will ever happen? Do they have a chance this year with either Lafayette or Henry Clay?" I do not think they will be competitive this upcoming season. I have wondered before why they are not regularly competitive. Sure, there is the occasional odd year that they compete with the Louisville schools (1999 when Henry Clay played Trinity close before bowing and Bryan Station lost to X in overtime) but generally most astute observers of Kentucky high school football would not claim that year in and year out the elite Lexington football schools could match up with the elite Louisville football schools. I personally believe that if they were more competitive it would be better for high school football in Kentucky because it would foment regional rivalries and add excitement to the playoffs.

I would like to say one thing in this thread and everyone can take for what its worth. Louisville has not dominated 4A football in recent years. It is one school, Trinity.

It's not PRP, Male, Manual, St. X, Fern Creek etc. It gets a little old hearing how good Louisville teams are when in fact it is one school. Trinity

Trinity is better than everyone and until everyone around here gets tired of Trinity claiming the entire town of Louisville we will continue to see the Rocks beat everyone.

It should be everyone to knock off the champs but somehow its Louisville vs. Lexington.

It's not Public vs. Private, its not Lexington vs. Louisville it should be everyone to knock off the champs which is Trinity. I could really care less about what zipcode your school building is in.

I agree, but, would add St X to the mix....For the most part, the Henry Clays, Dunbars, Lafayettes, etc can compete with the PRPs, Ballards, Manuals, etc. but, the 2 big privates dominate the entire state, not just Lexington....IMO, it's unfair to single out Lexington vs Louisville, when it's actually StX and trinity vs everybody else... If these 2 teams were not involved, I'd think there would be alot more championships spread out through the state...

I agree, but, would add St X to the mix....For the most part, the Henry Clays, Dunbars, Lafayettes, etc can compete with the PRPs, Ballards, Manuals, etc. but, the 2 big privates dominate the entire state, not just Lexington....IMO, it's unfair to single out Lexington vs Louisville, when it's actually StX and trinity vs everybody else... If these 2 teams were not involved, I'd think there would be alot more championships spread out through the state...

You seem to be forgetting Male. A team that would have won 4 titles this decade were it not for the Rocks. X would have had 3 were it not for Trinity beating them twice in the title games, always a close game too.

Let's not forget rather important details here. It's the Big 3 for a reason.

Third best team in 4A or third best team in the state?

In 4A. Had I paid closer attention to the CovCath-BG final I would give you my opinion of how they would have stacked up against each other. As it is though Trinity and Male were the two best teams in the state last year without a doubt.

Why would any credit be given to Lafayette in this discussion? I don't see them deserving of being mentioned in this company. They had a nice regular season last year, but for the second year in a row, got beat in Round 1 of the playoffs by a Woodford County team that lost the following week by nearly seven touchdowns.

Dunbar has been competitive, but had a disasterous year in 2006.

These teams can not even be competitive with one of the Big Three.

I agree with that but Boyd got hurt towards the end of the year. There regular season finale for the district title was against the powerful Bryan Station team that made it to the finals and Boyd did not even play in that game. He tried to come back for the playoffs and I believe he threw something like 7 picks against Trinity in the second round. That was a little bit more of bad luck for Henry Clay that year.

I'm not on here to defend Lexington as being a power, but what I can't understand is that this perception of Louisville being the power. It's Trinity. Trinity could move their building to Shelbyville and they would still dominate. I don't like that other teams in the county get a lot of pub for being a great football county when really only Trinity has made the noise lately. St. X should really be thanking Dixie Heights or they may not have a state title in the past few years. No one in a big playoff game has beaten Trinity in recent years and that goes for everyone not just Lexington schools.

Yes Henry Clay couldn't beat them but Male didn't, St. X, Fern Creek and etc. Male had more talent than anyone in the state and lost to Trinity. Maybe the Louisville Schools should look at themselves a little bit more instead of jumping on the wagon of the Trinity success.

Everyone says Henry Clay, Dunbar, Tates Creek etc. has the ability to beat Trinity and I understand that. My point is so does Manual, St. X, Male, Henderson County, PRP, Scott County, Madison Central, yet no one beats Trinity. If anyone wants a 6A state title it goes through Trinity, period.

Preach the word, Golfer. This is without any doubt TRUE.

I agree west, if there was no Trinity the Lexington schools would still get dominated by X and Male.

Given the style of play from one team, and the lack of depth from the other team, I can't agree with this statement. Lex. teams look at Trinity in a much greater status than they would X or Male, even in their best years. LexCath has beaten both, but hasn't come close to the Rocks in a scrimmage.