When do you think Lexington will compete?

Why would any credit be given to Lafayette in this discussion? I don't see them deserving of being mentioned in this company. They had a nice regular season last year, but for the second year in a row, got beat in Round 1 of the playoffs by a Woodford County team that lost the following week by nearly seven touchdowns.

Dunbar has been competitive, but had a disasterous year in 2006.

These teams can not even be competitive with one of the Big Three.

Lafayette has was dominated in that game but i think it's making strides to be one of the best teams in the state. If any coaching staff from lexington could make a team compete with the big 3. I think this staff is on the verge to.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the style of play from one team, and the lack of depth from the other team, I can't agree with this statement. Lex. teams look at Trinity in a much greater status than they would X or Male, even in their best years. LexCath has beaten both, but hasn't come close to the Rocks in a scrimmage.
Having been able to see all the big three the last four years I disagree that Trinity has been head and shoulders above X and Male.

If some enterprising bowl organizer would read this thread, he start an annual Lou vs Lex Smack Down Bowl series. My guess is that it would make a bundle. Match the Lou schools vs the Lex schools and put an end to this debate. Hey wait a minute: in two years the first annual BGP Lou v Lex Bowl Series (with the subtitle: Can any Lou school other than T beat those Lex teams?)

If some enterprising bowl organizer would read this thread, he start an annual Lou vs Lex Smack Down Bowl series. My guess is that it would make a bundle. Match the Lou schools vs the Lex schools and put an end to this debate. Hey wait a minute: in two years the first annual BGP Lou v Lex Bowl Series (with the subtitle: Can any Lou school other than T beat those Lex teams?)

Hey, hey, watch it-you are thinking out of the box. It is that permitted in Kentucky high school football?:D

There is the Old Rivalry bowl in Louisville where Male and Manual play other teams every year. Dunbar was scheduled to play Male the first year but backed out.

Having been able to see all the big three the last four years I disagree that Trinity has been head and shoulders above X and Male.

Well lets count the state titles of the three teams for the past seven years. X-1, Male-1 maybe 2, Trinity-5. Looks like head and shoulders to me. The last four years, T has won 3 out of 4, X has won 1, and Male none.

Why would any credit be given to Lafayette in this discussion? I don't see them deserving of being mentioned in this company. They had a nice regular season last year, but for the second year in a row, got beat in Round 1 of the playoffs by a Woodford County team that lost the following week by nearly seven touchdowns.

Dunbar has been competitive, but had a disasterous year in 2006.

These teams can not even be competitive with one of the Big Three.

they did as well as any of the Lville schools and better than most...the title of this thread could have just as easily been "when do the other Lville schools compete with Trinity and X...I believe Lafayette would have competed with all the other LVille schools, just like Ryle, Owensboro, Henderson Co, Scott Co and some others could have...

Given the style of play from one team, and the lack of depth from the other team, I can't agree with this statement. Lex. teams look at Trinity in a much greater status than they would X or Male, even in their best years. LexCath has beaten both, but hasn't come close to the Rocks in a scrimmage.

Lex. Cath has also taken 44-7 and 47-0 beatings in the past 3 years at the hands of X. The past two years, Highlands has been beaten 80-13 by X.

When will a louisville school, besides T and X, step up and play a national power? Since we are talking about Louisville high school football as a whole, and as a whole claim to be the "best in KY for football".
Last season rebuilding Manual played Brentwood Acad out of Tennesse. It was Manual's worst beating in many years, but it also wasn't completely unforseen.

Lex. Cath has also taken 44-7 and 47-0 beatings in the past 3 years at the hands of X. The past two years, Highlands has been beaten 80-13 by X.

Yeah, but they've won and never beaten Trinity, even in Burke's senior year. Probably the best LexCath team ever. X is above Male, but clearly not trinity. Their is a little more concern over X, but Trinity is a fear here.

Last season rebuilding Manual played Brentwood Acad out of Tennesse. It was Manual's worst beating in many years, but it also wasn't completely unforseen.

I'm not here to put down the Louisville schools but more to defend the Lexington Schools. Dunbar played MBA last year and it was 14-7 in the 4th quarter and MBA's first touchdown came off of a punt return early in the game. Dunbar had a rough season but was in every game other than Henry Clay and just had a TON of bad turnovers and penalties in crucial situations which killed their record. If MBA can come to Dunbar and be in a dog fight I'm not ready to say that anyone would come down here and wipe the floor with Dunbar. You can say MBA was down this year but they beat Trinity the next week so, don't go thinking Dunbar is a bad football team. Things are getting better, a lot better.

Well see the past two times PLD has played a Lou. school besides trinity, they too were in rebuilding years. '04 and '06, Manual and PRP.

These are playoff scores in recent years in games pitting Trinity against the best teams in Lexington and Louisville in the playoffs.

Trinity 56, Henry Clay 35

Trinity 38, Male 34

Trinity 41, Henry Clay 20

Trinity 14, St. Xavier 6

Trinity 25, Dunbar 13

Trinity 17, St. Xavier 14

Trinity 49, Dunbar 7

Trinity 59, Male 56

Trinity 50, Tates Creek 0

Trinity 45, Male 19

Trinity 52, Tates Creek 21

Male 34, Trinity 14

There is a clear pattern of Trinity getting tougher challenges from Male and St. Xavier than whichever team advanced out of Lexington. Even in 2004, when Trinity was upset by Dixie Heights in the second round, St. Xavier romped over the Lexington-area winner (Scott County) in the final and had tougher games in town.

When will a louisville school, besides T and X, step up and play a national power?
Why do they have to?

Manual played Brentwood Academy last year. Male has played Highlands in the past. Both are traditional powers by any standard.