Today's role models?

BigBlueFreak

While I agree with Strike, I'll go more towards the pro sports area. I'd say if a child is going to have a sports icon as a roll model or someone they envy. I think I'd like to have it be someone the likes of Tiger Woods. Someone who's very passionate about what they do, as well as family. Also someone that gives back to the community, and does it as though it's their responsibility to do so.

Plus Tiger Woods also exhibits racial diversity with his very existense, and his wife, I don't want my kids being narrow minded and ignorant like some of their great grandparents were.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with Strike, I'll go more towards the pro sports area. I'd say if a child is going to have a sports icon as a roll model or someone they envy. I think I'd like to have it be someone the likes of Tiger Woods. Someone who's very passionate about what they do, as well as family. Also someone that gives back to the community, and does it as though it's their responsibility to do so.

Plus Tiger Woods also exhibits racial diversity with his very existence, and his wife, I don't want my kids being narrow minded and ignorant like some of their great grandparents were.

Tiger has done more to revolutionize golf, than others I can think of in there sport. MJ was the recognizable face of the NBA but not sure, he helped generate the desire to play, like Tiger has.

Are professional sports figures, acquiring too much notoriety, fame and fortune, that is unrealistic to 99.9% of today's youth. Have we allowed our children, to watch sports and want them to physically achieve the same results, of those who entertain us or are we reminding them, they are great athletes, just not always the best ideas for role models.

When student-athletes, start commenting on their attire, shoes, lyrics, cars, tattoos and take on the persona, then are we encouraging/condoning this type of behavior?

Role Models, should be family and not sports related. Values of professional athletes, or others will never be matched, by the home life.

Agreed Family, and Agreed some are not worthy but a teacher a preacher or a community person can be a mentor to our youth.

Not a sports figure or a movie star, Get a Real person.

:ylsuper:

I echo the posters about having more personal role models (parent, grandparent, little league coach, pastor, etc.).

To the extent that young kids emulate those in the spotlight, you can't go wrong with Gwynn, Ripken, Tomlinson, or David Robinson.

Role models are great, and we should try to follow the examples of those that we respect and admire.

But we should also caution our kids to understand that all men are human. None of them are immune to a fall from grace. They struggle with the same problems that we all struggle with. They make mistakes and they need support and forgiveness just like we do.

It is unfair and unrealistic to elevate any man to a higher status that that which they are. We will end up cynical and disappointed when they fall.

Role models are great, and we should try to follow the examples of those that we respect and admire.

But we should also caution our kids to understand that all men are human. None of them are immune to a fall from grace. They struggle with the same problems that we all struggle with. They make mistakes and they need support and forgiveness just like we do.

It is unfair and unrealistic to elevate any man to a higher status that that which they are. We will end up cynical and disappointed when they fall.

Eloquently stated and very accurate.....:thumb:

My Dads Mom,My Grandmother.

She was a Single Mother in the 40s,50s and early 60s.

She raised My Dad,His Older Brother,His Older Sister And his Younger Sister.

She worked hard all of her Life and was against government Assistance.

All of Her Children grew up to be hard workers and Took care of there Families.:thumb:

I hope My son grows up to have those same values...

My parents were always mine but there are so many kids out there that aren't so fortunate to have parents that care much for them. That's why I think coaching and teaching are so important. The amount of lives that you are able to impact in a positive way these days as a male coach is unreal! So many kids are from broken homes and have no dads. In many cases a kids coach is the closest thing he has to a father. That's a lot of responsability but one that I think coaches can't ignore.

A Role Model should be someone who has gone through some hardships, but kept fighting to become a very good person, like my grandfather. He was poor as dirt when he was young, he only had one pair of shoes a year, his dad was a cole miner, and still he pushed through all of that and became a college All-American at Kentucky Wesleyan and a Kentucky High School Basketball Coaching legend. He has lived a long life and I admire him and everything that he did.

Chuck Norris? No.

Jack Baur? NO.

Jack BURTON???

Yes

But then again, I kind of admire Lo Pan, too.

Gotta love a Big Trouble in Little China reference!:thumb:

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

Tim McGraw is my celebrity role model. Beautiful wife, beautiful life, great kids, has great values...when do you ever hear anything bad about him...won dad of the year in 2000.

Outside of him, I don't have any other celebrity ones. I have mom and dad, and grandpa. Then I also have some alumni of my fraternity and older guys who work at our national headquarters. They sure do have there stuff together.

Tiger has done more to revolutionize golf, than others I can think of in there sport. MJ was the recognizable face of the NBA but not sure, he helped generate the desire to play, like Tiger has.

Are professional sports figures, acquiring too much notoriety, fame and fortune, that is unrealistic to 99.9% of today's youth. Have we allowed our children, to watch sports and want them to physically achieve the same results, of those who entertain us or are we reminding them, they are great athletes, just not always the best ideas for role models.

When student-athletes, start commenting on their attire, shoes, lyrics, cars, tattoos and take on the persona, then are we encouraging/condoning this type of behavior?

I'd say no, for the most part, if we're talking BGP parents, and people that are in this area for the most part I'd say again no.

Now perhaps for kids with little guidance, and almost none from their parents I'd say yes they may at times be confused. However I'd say a big problem in this would be kids seeing the likes of Thurman, Pac-Man, Henry,Vick(I know he's still innocent;ha), but when people idolize these guys.

That's definitely an issue;especially sense these kids can get away with alot more than out star athletes, and it seems they're getting away with alot.