Today's role models?

BigBlueFreak

With the changing world today. Who today is someone you would want your kids to look up to. Everyone had thier person growing up. I'm not talking about a parent or grandparent. I'm talking about someone in the public eye, an athlete, a singer or someone of that nature. Kids need hero's so to speak. Someone to look up to. Today you have the Barry Bonds steroid saga, Packman Jones, the Brittany Spears circus. Is there really anyone today that you would want your kids looking up to.

Growing up mine was Barry Sanders. IMO he was everthing a professional athlete should be. Never celebrated, did his job and did it better than anyone I've ever watched. He was always humble and to steal a phrase, no matter what he did he always acted like he'd been there before. Humble in a win, gracious in a defeat. The same could be said for Jordan.

I've racked my brain over this deal I'm very sports minded so athletes I'm looking at would be Peyton Manin, Tomlinson, Bettis or maybe Ichiro? I just can't come up with a very long list anymore.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Strike. I have never looked at a celebrity as a role model. My mother was and still is my role model. She has overcome so much in her life and provided me and my siblings with everything she never had growing up. She gave so much love and support... even when I thought I didn't deserve it.

Role Models, should be family and not sports related. Values of professional athletes, or others will never be matched, by the home life.

I agree 100% but it's not always the case. My true role model was a coach I had in high school. Some kids are better off not to look at thier family for role models as was my case.

Jesus

:thumb: Amen! Absolutley 100% agree. Thank You lbbc.

'If" there are other role models besides Jesus and family (I agree with STRIKE on that) I would say in todays sports world I would want someone to look up to Derek Jeter, he is the prime example of class on and off the field. My role model was my father and sports wise I really looked up to Tony Perez and Pete Rose (that was before all of the gambling thing came out). Sparky Anderson was another.

I believe a role model should be someone close to you and not someone you just see on TV. My role model has always been my grandpa just because of the type of man he was. Not because of some money he had or the cars he drove just because of his honesty. I always looked up to him.

It's hard to find good role models in sports but it can be done. Dwight Howard and Dwayne Wade seem to be good guys. I'm sure there are many more sports figures that would be great role models but they seem to get over looked because of the ones that would be horrible role models that most young kids look up to.

• 3 months later...

With all that is going on in Sports today, to the young people of America have a "role model", they can look up to....

The news lately, has been filled with wrong doings by players, allegations of enhancements and now, officials getting involved. What type of message, is being sent and how to we as parents, guardians, coaches and administrators, help get the correct message across to our youth.

Thoughts....