Must underrated, underappreciated or player that exceeded their hype coming to UK

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without question in my mind, Nazr Mohammad is at the top of this list. He was a complete project--as was Shagari & Woo--but Pitino turned him into a 1st round draft pick (and an early-entry 1st round draft pick at that). Every time Nazr collects a check, he needs to send Rick a thank-you note.

Erik Daniels is also here. He was so crafty, and being left-handed really helped him. If he had any kind of an outside shot, he'd be on an NBA roster as we speak.

Also agree with those who mentioned Marquis Estill. Great hands, great post-presence. Anthony Epps was also solid. He was the straw that stirred the drink on the '96 team IMO.

Padgett and Mills were also tough. Mills knew what he was and what he was not. Many players cannot recognize this. Padgett was solid in that he could score down low and hit with consistency from the outside.

Then I think Chuck Hayes has to be on this list. The argument could be made, that during the Tubby-era, the program was most hurt by his departure. Tubby's team in '04 was solid--even after losing Bogans & Estill. Then the '05 team was good--even after losing Fitch, Daniels, Hawkins, & Barbor. But the '06 team suffered greatly, even though it lost only one player of significance--that player being Chuck Hayes. All he did was win.

I would have to go with Padgett. Alot of people questioned why Pitino even recruited him, and he ends up being one of the leaders on the 98 championship team. The game he played against Duke in the comeback was awsome baby.

I would have to go with Padgett. Alot of people questioned why Pitino even recruited him, and he ends up being one of the leaders on the 98 championship team. The game he played against Duke in the comeback was awsome baby.

Another good thread topic, but Padgett's reaction is the most vivid visual memory of UK basketball in my mind.

Nazr was a fat kid who couldn't run from one end of the floor to the other when he showed up. Magliore was a big kid from Canada with an attitude who couldn't catch a cold but ended up making an all star team in the NBA.

Jamaal Magloire=Randolph Morris

He played super sub role in 97 and 98. I never thought he would ever leave the bench. He hung 31 on Florida in 98.

But other then that one stand out game against Florida he really didn't do anything else. He only scored in double digits 4 times that year and only score 17 points total in tournament. Not saying he wasn't a decent role player or lift when they needed him but I wouldn't put him in this discussion.

He actually had a much better tournament the year before.