UK to name coach on Tuesday

colfan80

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While "pathetic" may be harsh, this is the way coaches are now followed when they are rumored to be interviewing.

Notre Dame fans use this same method as a tool to keep tabs on whom Weis might be visiting on recruiting trips.

UK gets the exact opposite of what they had......

You can chalk me up as not rooting for them again.

I agree with that statement. I'll admit that I have watched OSU play this season and have came away with the impression that Thad Matta can't coach. I would have taken Tubby over him from an X's and O's standpoint and still would.

When I first heard his name mentioned with the UK job, my first impression was anyone but him. I've thought about it some and while I would still prefer Donovan (or Tubby with a great lead recruiter) I guess I've changed my mind on him somewhat.

Tubby is probably as good of a game coach as they come, but he was at times a poor recruiter and if you do not have at least a certain level of talent no amount of coaching knowledge can overcome that difficiency. On the other hand if you are a great recruiter often the level of talent on the court is able to win games without a whole lot of imput from the coaching staff.

So now I guess my only concern about Matta is the whispers as to how he was able to assemble all that talent in Columbus so quickly. Maybe he has always been a great recruiter. I didn't really follow him much at Xavier, but didn't he bring in an Indiana Mr. Basketball? That probably a first for Xavier.

So is the Thad 5 a fluke or has he always been a good recruiter.

He was in on Oden and Conley before he went to OSU and when he got a big job it blew up. He did a nice job recruiting at X and did an amazing job turning that into success at OSU on the trail. He also got a bit lucky Mike Davis was in charge at IU.

I guess my main concern is what happens when Indiana and Ohio have a few down years? I'm not convinced he has the national ties to compete like is expected at UK, but you can count on him landing what can work from a 200 mile radius in the up years. I just don't think he's that solid of an in game coach. He's not the right hire but IMO things are starting to point in that direction...

Thanks GT, I don't think that he is the right hire either, but if he can recruit a Conley and Oden every year than I guess his coaching ability is irrelevant.

Are you saying that things are pointing in his direction because you think Billy won't take the job, or has Thad become plan A. (Surely not?)