Where would Phil Simms be now if...

LSURock

Absolutely, not. My mindset is that we are dealing with two different beasts that everyone for some reason wants to stuff in the same cage.

You can't say what is good for one is good for the other, either way.

But also, to say that we have two different beasts but yet they compete on the same level playing field is mistaken too.

Simply put what goes on in the urban schools is vastly different than the rural schools. And to say if the rural schools would just adapt what the urban schools do and it would make them more like the urban schools is inaccurate.

You go to the zoo and you don't see the Polar Bears in the same cage as the Gorillas. Both are great animals but we don't put them together. And yet in KHSAA, some get offended when it is pointed out that different beasts need their own cage.

As far as blaming of the teachers, when the statement is made that the school district needs to do more to bring their district up to the level of others, then that is implying the teachers are not doing enough.

I'm going to leave all but the last statement unrefuted, because we pretty much in agreement.

As to the last statemet, I disagree. When I say the school district needs to do more, I mean everyone, Adminsitration, Parents groups, School Board, everyone. Teachers are not the only components of a district. No post I've ever read as said it's the teachers. Yes, we've pointed fingers at districts, but we've never singled out teachers. Most everyone has been very supportive of the teachers, critical of the system.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to leave all but the last statement unrefuted, because we pretty much in agreement.

As to the last statemet, I disagree. When I say the school district needs to do more, I mean everyone, Adminsitration, Parents groups, School Board, everyone. Teachers are not the only components of a district. No post I've ever read as said it's the teachers. Yes, we've pointed fingers at districts, but we've never singled out teachers. Most everyone has been very supportive of the teachers, critical of the system.

I appreciated that but not sure that is the view of most.

When you think of educating a student the person who is doing the actual teaching usually gets the blame. And that directly is the teacher. They are the ones that are directly responsible for the student learning while in the classroom. What goes on out of the classroom that has HUGE effects on whether the student learns or not, is not in control of the teacher. But if that student fails, it falls back on the teacher's shoulders.

At least that is how it feels as a teacher when the state comes in and tells us all of the things TEACHERS HAVE TO DO to improve these students.

I appreciated that but not sure that is the view of most.

When you think of educating a student the person who is doing the actual teaching usually gets the blame. And that directly is the teacher. They are the ones that are directly responsible for the student learning while in the classroom. What goes on out of the classroom that has HUGE effects on whether the student learns or not, is not in control of the teacher. But if that student fails, it falls back on the teacher's shoulders.

At least that is how it feels as a teacher when the state comes in and tells us all of the things TEACHERS HAVE TO DO to improve these students.

I agree with you that generally teachers get a bum rap, although you must admit that some are better than others, just as in any other profession. By the way, two members of my immdediate family teach in the Jefferson County School system, one in elementary school and one in high school. Because of their comments (especially the high school teacher) I have come to appreciate how hard it is to "teach." In Jefferson County, except in the "private" public high schools, teachers are asked to teach kids who have no interest whatsoever in being in school and who get virtually no support from their "families." If they were asked only to teach, teachers would be qualified. But they are asked to do so much more - keep order, break up fights, be counselors, be social workers, defend themselves from assaults, etc. If the students were as amenable to being taught as they were 50 years ago, then one could more accurately perhaps blame the teachers. But it's not that way. People over 45 would be very surprised, I think, as to true state of the public schools in Jefferson County and across the country for that matter. The kids have no accountability because the consequences for not getting an education have been buffered by our societal programs.

What the answer is I don't know. People smarter than I need to start working on this. It's going nowhere fast. Have the "schools" improved over the last 15 years? I say no. But it is not necessariy the "schools'" fault. But do I think it is the schools' fault for not coming up with better answers and having the political guts to try new things.

I agree with you that generally teachers get a bum rap, although you must admit that some are better than others, just as in any other profession. By the way, two members of my immdediate family teach in the Jefferson County School system, one in elementary school and one in high school. Because of their comments (especially the high school teacher) I have come to appreciate how hard it is to "teach." In Jefferson County, except in the "private" public high schools, teachers are asked to teach kids who have no interest whatsoever in being in school and who get virtually no support from their "families." If they were asked only to teach, teachers would be qualified. But they are asked to do so much more - keep order, break up fights, be counselors, be social workers, defend themselves from assaults, etc. If the students were as amenable to being taught as they were 50 years ago, then one could more accurately perhaps blame the teachers. But it's not that way. People over 45 would be very surprised, I think, as to true state of the public schools in Jefferson County and across the country for that matter. The kids have no accountability because the consequences for not getting an education have been buffered by our societal programs.

What the answer is I don't know. People smarter than I need to start working on this. It's going nowhere fast. Have the "schools" improved over the last 15 years? I say no. But it is not necessariy the "schools'" fault. But I do think it is the schools' fault for not coming up with better answers and having the political guts to try new things.

Not necessarily the schools that lack the intestinal fortitude to try new things or things they believe would work as much as it is the politicians controlling the purse strings. Many times, the same ones telling teachers what they must do to improve have never stood in front of a class or if they did, it was so long ago that they have no connection to the modern day classroom.

...Phil Simms would have hopefully come to Trinity NOW, with what we have offensively....though if he were to go Catholic it would have most certainly have been Holy Cross or the Xaverians, where he could run the veer, and pass to the deep thirds.

I seem to recall a high profile case of a private school kid leaving for a public school to play football. Can you give me some examples of public MS kids having a major impact at a NKY private high school?

Vicars from NCC went to Campbell County Middle school then bolts to NCC his freshman year to play football. His younger sister is a cheerleader at CCHS so it wasn't any difference in education being the reason.

These are the things they are trying to stop with good reason.

I went to public school my whole life until Trinity...I always wanted to play football there. No public school owns me or my kids. YOu who think otherwise need to realize that we live in a Democratic society, and there is open enrollment in Jefferson County, it is not my fault if your county is the one that is prehistoric.

Vicars from NCC went to Campbell County Middle school then bolts to NCC his freshman year to play football. His younger sister is a cheerleader at CCHS so it wasn't any difference in education being the reason.

Give me one good reason why a kid should not be able to attend the school of his choice. And then get the most out of his high school years by playing sports. I'm quite sure you wouldn't care if he left one school for another to captain the chess team or play in the band. If you know of any wrong-doing, state it now.

So you think that there should be no choice in where a kid can go to school?:rolleyes:

How long does a kid have to go to a public school for he or she to become the property of the public school system?

Yeah and a few years before that Kip and Justin Mason went to St Therese School in Southgate through 8th grade and "bolted " to Campbell Co High School when they graduated grade School . Kip was a pretty good running back for the Camels and if he would have gone to NCC would have been in the same backfield as Steven Everson . Justin played on the Camels basketball team . O and I may be wrong but I think that their older sister went to NCC. Nic Simpson on Highlands Basketball team also attended St Therese . It works both ways , but I think that you can find more examples of kids going to parochial grade school and then attending public high school than vice versa .

Yeah and a few years before that Kip and Justin Mason went to St Therese School in Southgate through 8th grade and "bolted " to Campbell Co High School when they graduated grade School . Kip was a pretty good running back for the Camels and if he would have gone to NCC would have been in the same backfield as Steven Everson . Justin played on the Camels basketball team . O and I may be wrong but I think that their older sister went to NCC. Nic Simpson on Highlands Basketball team also attended St Therese . It works both ways , but I think that you can find more examples of kids going to parochial grade school and then attending public high school than vice versa .

Nic Simpson was going to Highlands from the day he was born. I went to High School with his mom at Highlands and she wouldn't of sent him anywhere else!!!!!

How much better would Bishop Brossart of been if the Listerman Brothers would of stayed and played close to home instead they bolted to Park Hills to play at Covington Catholic. Heck i think their older brother/uncle went to Highlands at one point.