A class system for hoops?

Kentucky should not go to a class system. We are the only state who has a true state champion. If we go to a class system do we call the 4A championship the state title? That is not fair to the 3A schools and so on. The Class A Tournament, while not a state tournament, is a great way for some small schools to compete in big championships. Remember that some All "A" schools do well in the Sweet Sixteen as well. We should not take that arena away from a smaller school just because they have less students.

The system in place now is unfair to the smaller schools who can't when a championship but once every 50 years. When Russell won the football state title last year, I got to see how exciting and how special winning a STATE championship is. And it didn't matter at all that there were 4 champs that year. Being a champion on their own level was enough, it was perfect. I think it would be good for KY basketball if more kids could experience something like that. For the kids to dream about it and to know that it is possible is worth it but then to actually experience winning a state title.........Man, the kids would remember it for the rest of their lives. I don't see how that could be a bad thing.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, We are not that far removed from the Tigers of Painstville winning the state championship. And I think it can happen again.

It happens once every 20 or 30 years. That's not too often. Sure, it's possible but highly, highly unlikely without some help.

I've coached on both ends of the spectrum. The haves (large school) and the have nots (small school). IMO there should be seeding in every district and a class system for all. I know all about the KHSAA and the money they receive from the boys state tournament. It's too bad that money has to adhere young athletes from even having a dream of cutting down the nets.

I believe that a class system would eliminate recruiting. The big schools have, the small schools have to recruit to compete with the big boys. If the small school does recruit then the bigs get mad.

There will never be such a thing as a small school winning it all in my lifetime that has not recruited, period.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!! Great post!!

Having four state champions is like kissing your sister. The way basketball does it is the best, you seperate the best from the best and find out who comes out on top.

How come Ky is one of 2 states that have this such tourney? (They may be the only state now, not sure) Does the rest of the country have it all wrong? I hate the fact that the KHSAA chooses finances over student equality.

I love the aura of a "one class" championship, it's always great to see a small school make it to Rupp. Is it fair, no, but nothing in life is fair, you cut the pie into four slices and you'll still have teams at a disadvantage, there will always be the top dog and the bottom feeder no matter how many classes.

I disagree, We are not that far removed from the Tigers of Painstville winning the state championship. And I think it can happen again.
Paintsville, quite frankly, wasn't your typical small-school team ... they had two or three Division I players.

It can happen again, but it's pretty unlikely to occur more than once every decade or two.

I love the aura of a "one class" championship, it's always great to see a small school make it to Rupp. Is it fair, no, but nothing in life is fair, you cut the pie into four slices and you'll still have teams at a disadvantage, there will always be the top dog and the bottom feeder no matter how many classes.

Could not have said it better myself.

My cousin, who is a teacher in Brookville, Indiana, said dividing into classes had really damaged basketball in Indiana. He said when they had a one class system the crowds were awesome and the excitement was off the charts. Now that they have a class system he says most of the excitement is gone, the crowds are smaller, and winning a championship, although nice, is not the same because of the 'watered down' effect. And he claims the vast majority of the fans hate it, and want it to be changed back.

Could not have said it better myself.

My cousin, who is a teacher in Brookville, Indiana, said dividing into classes had really damaged basketball in Indiana. He said when they had a one class system the crowds were awesome and the excitement was off the charts. Now that they have a class system he says most of the excitement is gone, the crowds are smaller, and winning a championship, although nice, is not the same because of the 'watered down' effect. And he claims the vast majority of the fans hate it, and want it to be changed back.

Agreed, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the street, and the fans of Indiana High School Basketball have found this out.....much to their dismay.....