A class system for hoops?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should start this, cause I was considering doing the same thing.

Someone else posted the same kind of thread back in December, I think most people on here would like for it to stay the same, hence you get a TRUE state champion. Course I will let everyone speak for themselves. : )

Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville, FL is on the verge of winning their 3rd straight state title in 2a. Florida has 1a up to 6a in boys basketball. I know we can't discuss recruiting here, but ACD does and is allowed to recruit since they are a private school. So they are essentially an all star team going up against smaller schools that shouldn't be on the same floor. ACD won the state title last year by winning their playoff games by an average of 30 points. They have already won their first couple of playoff games this year by 50 and 60 points I believe.

To make a long story longer, I think breaking Kentucky into classes would lead to this kind of domination by certain teams. WIth it being this wide open, it makes it VERY difficult for one team to sustain a long run.

I know the ALL A tournament was created to give smaller schools a chance for a state title and I know another thread already covered how important an ALL A title is. It's a great thing for the smaller schools to at least have something, if they might not have a shot against the bigger schools.

I would love to see a classification in basketball in KY. I would give kids a better chance of winning a state title. Now, it's nothing but a unreachable dream for almost every school in the state. Kids don't even think it's possible nor do they ever mention it because to them it's just unontainable. And I would agree. The days of a good ole' boys leading a school of 100 farming kids are over. I just don't think it's a possibility anymore, nor do the kids themself. I'd love for that dream to be a reality again. For the kids to actually believe that it's possible and to dream about it again. It seems as though the KHSAA wants the same thing in every other sport besides basketball. I guess people love the rarity of the Sweet 16 tournament enough to keep it. Personally, I'd love to see a classification in basketball in KY, it would be good for the kids and that's what matters the most and not what the adults like or dislike.

As a fan I like the current system but in fairness to the student-athletes there should be a class system. However, I understand in large part it is economics and if the KHSAA changes to a class system in basketball they will have to put their hands in the gates of a lot of other post season games that currently go to the schools involved.

No way will it ever happen since the KHSAA will not even allow the private and public schools to split their postseasons.

If you want to talk about public/private matters make your own thread in that forum but leave it out of this discussion.

I know the ALL A tournament was created to give smaller schools a chance for a state title and I know another thread already covered how important an ALL A title is. It's a great thing for the smaller schools to at least have something, if they might not have a shot against the bigger schools.

The All A Classic is NOT a state title. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the All A is just another tournament that happens to mimic the Sweet 16. Also, as long as everyone keeps beating the All A Classic is a State Title Drum the less of a chance there is of the KHSAA ever classifying basketball. In other words, the All A Classic is a dream come true for the KHSAA.

If you want to talk about public/private matters make your own thread in that forum but leave it out of this discussion.

Guru, my point was that the KHSAA will never split the postseason basketball tournaments into classifications. My opinion was based on the past decision by the Ky Board of Directors not to allow post-season to be divided, thus I was leaving my opinion that Kentucky will not ever split into classifications.

It had nothing to do with private vs. public debate. I dont think Ky basketball will ever split into classifications.

I wish it would, as UKCatsfan suggests. I hope it does, but I dont see it happening anytime soon.

I hear valid points for both and I'm old school, in many respects. Unless a dominate run, by one Region or school....I don't seeing it change, anytime soon.

Not all teams who begin in November, has legitimate chances to win but that doesn't preclude them from trying.

Kentucky should not go to a class system. We are the only state who has a true state champion. If we go to a class system do we call the 4A championship the state title? That is not fair to the 3A schools and so on. The Class A Tournament, while not a state tournament, is a great way for some small schools to compete in big championships. Remember that some All "A" schools do well in the Sweet Sixteen as well. We should not take that arena away from a smaller school just because they have less students.

I would love to see a classification in basketball in KY. I would give kids a better chance of winning a state title. Now, it's nothing but a unreachable dream for almost every school in the state. Kids don't even think it's possible nor do they ever mention it because to them it's just unontainable. And I would agree. The days of a good ole' boys leading a school of 100 farming kids are over. I just don't think it's a possibility anymore, nor do the kids themself. I'd love for that dream to be a reality again. For the kids to actually believe that it's possible and to dream about it again. It seems as though the KHSAA wants the same thing in every other sport besides basketball. I guess people love the rarity of the Sweet 16 tournament enough to keep it. Personally, I'd love to see a classification in basketball in KY, it would be good for the kids and that's what matters the most and not what the adults like or dislike.

I disagree, We are not that far removed from the Tigers of Painstville winning the state championship. And I think it can happen again.

It has DESTROYED prep basketball in INDIANA. One class one title makes state unique. ... As for the 44th District? It needs to be seeded, no question about it.

I see merit to both sides here, and understand the reason it's unlikely to ever happen is simply $$$$$'s!! Reality is such that the smaller schools have a VERY slim chance of winning the Sweet Sixteen--Currently there are no single A schools in the Litkenhaus or BGP polls top 20 and only one in the Cantrells. That said, I travel a good deal, and see an awful lot of enthusiam for HS Hoops around the country in the 48 states that classify basketball--So I hardly believe classifying basketball "destroys" anything??

Curious why these repeated discussions of this issue all end with supporters of the single class system, pointing to the end of HS basketball as we know it, if they ever went to classes!! Football seems to be more popular than ever, and by the way I've never heard a kid or parent from CovCath, Highlands, Beechwood, or NCC refer to themselves as 3-A state champs or 1-A champs; but simply "State Champions"!! Having four state champs in football or two in track, cross country, etc. seems to be working just fine?? I just fail to understand why people can't conceive of the idea of classified basketball; and trust me, I'm not one of those "give everybody a trophy" types!!

I've coached on both ends of the spectrum. The haves (large school) and the have nots (small school). IMO there should be seeding in every district and a class system for all. I know all about the KHSAA and the money they receive from the boys state tournament. It's too bad that money has to adhere young athletes from even having a dream of cutting down the nets.

I believe that a class system would eliminate recruiting. The big schools have, the small schools have to recruit to compete with the big boys. If the small school does recruit then the bigs get mad.

There will never be such a thing as a small school winning it all in my lifetime that has not recruited, period.