A class system for hoops?

I love the arguments "lets not change....let's keep things the way they always have been"....then in the same breath, it is said "i think seeding is the only way to go". If they had seeded the district in "Hoosiers", there would have never been a movie, cause Jimmy Chitwood's last big shot would have probably been taken in the first round of the district, and they would have lost in a subsequent round...

That's a new argument. It makes absolutely no sense, but it's a new argument.

Do you have the records for the teams competing in Hickory's district, or region, or whatever they called the first level?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. I think they would trade the dream of JUST getting there to a dream of WINNING a championship whether it be A, AA, AAA, AAAA. Do you know what it feels like to be part of a state championship winning team? It's undescribable. I've been a part of both(not as a player but as a part of the program), a state championship winning football team and a regional winning and I know what feels better. Don't get me wrong, going to Rupp is a big deal and it was a great experience to be part of but winning the championship is on another level.
You need to understand that the people in Harlan's program feel as if they won a Class A state title and reached the semifinals of the Sweet 16 in 1995. In a sense, they had the best of both worlds. That is why the All A Classic exists.

I would give my left arm for the chance just to shoot a layup in warm ups in Rupp Arena during the S16. Maybe kids today are brought up differently but I attended the S16 for 13 straight years and that was always a goal of mine, to make it to the tournament to grace the court that many KY high school legends graced. I remember sharing the same hotel as Clay Co as a youth, to see Sean Pennington, Woody Asher, the Farmer brothers in the same halls as I touched me as a young teen. I've seen a ton of posts about "the kids", not the "fans", I bet most of the "kids" would choose having a slim chance of playing in front of 10,000 fans for one game over the chance of playing in front of a few hundred. Just one man's opinion, like I said I played for a big school (SK), had a chance to go to two smaller schools (CCH) and (Holy Cross), both went on to Rupp during my tenure at SK, no regrets from me, and I'm sure no players on either one of those squads wanted to play in a smaller event. While reading a thread about the 13th region the other day I came across a post about Cumberland's '03 team being one of the worst teams to ever make it to Rupp, I'm sure that may sting those who played for the Skins that year but it won't show on any banner or trophy that team won.

Guys get real. Small schools do not have a chance to win state championships anymore. Now more than ever, economic demographics play a part in state tournaments.

Consider this if you will: you are a 6'8 guard from south east KY. Your parents are not very financially stable in their current work environment in rural KY. You happen to be a blue chip player at a small one horse (you being the one horse) high school. You make some connections at summer camp that you did not pay for, you transfer schools, your parents end up with better paying jobs, and presto chango you are competing at a major contending school for a state championship. Fact people!

If you change the state setup so that the schools are classified, the small guy may not be as enticed to leave because he now knows that he will get some exposure because he knows that he can carry his small team to rupp and get some good publicity. Works out for everyone. Small schools just cannot compete with the Scott's,Laurel's, L'ville teams any longer. It is just that way. When is the last time a team with less than 1,000 high school kids won a state championship? that probably makes up 40 % of the schools in KY.

I can absolutely see arguments on both sides. In Ohio there are four divisions, thus four state champs. I like that system, that opportunity for the small schools, but at the end I sure would like to see those four "state champs" square off with each other. Is it possible a system like that could work?

I can absolutely see arguments on both sides. In Ohio there are four divisions, thus four state champs. I like that system, that opportunity for the small schools, but at the end I sure would like to see those four "state champs" square off with each other. Is it possible a system like that could work?

That's been discussed on here before. If they ever go to a class system, then I would support a Final Four of the 4 class champions....but I don't think the KHSAA would ever go for it.

I vote to keep it like it is, and I'm from a school of 240 enrollment who's never been to the Sweet 16 (came close twice, region runner-up in '83 and '85). The S16 is special and unique. I've been attending on a regular basis since 1979, and look forward to it every year.

[/b]

That's been discussed on here before. If they ever go to a class system, then I would support a Final Four of the 4 class champions....but I don't think the KHSAA would ever go for it.

I vote to keep it like it is, and I'm from a school of 240 enrollment who's never been to the Sweet 16 (came close twice, region runner-up in '83 and '85). The S16 is special and unique. I've been attending on a regular basis since 1979, and look forward to it every year.

Yes, but would'nt it still be a sweet 16 with the final four in each division? I'm just playing devil's advocate.