No more Deming Devils

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly like it as the Devils but if they are going to change it change it to something good.

As for the three wings Elem, Mid, and High I like it. We need that down here.

I thought the school was named after a judge, might be wrong.

Your right it was named after judge O.S. Deming. I thought I had heard it was named after the man who donated the land.

As far as a Team being called Robertson County in the 80's, It was not the Deming School in MT Olivet Kentucky, According to a very very well know history buff from DEMING. The school was Robertson County High School Before 1927. After 1927 there were know as the DEMING BLACK DEVILS. I just got off the phone with this lady and she taught there 30 plus years ago . And that is the FACTS, And as far as the school being changed to another name, That will not ever happen as long as it is on the property it is now, It was given to Robertson County High School and The person that gave it to them was a person with the last name of DEMING.. Just a history FACT:

Could be a relative of the person who donated the lot too. I wonder if they have any plans finalized for the building and if they will use the old one.

Well they still have the Vo-Tech building which is still in pretty good condition. I wish we had gotten a new school when I still went there.

The county has one school, Deming High School. Kindergarten through twelfth grades attend here. The school was named in honor of Judge O. S. Deming. The cornerstone of Deming High School was laid in an impressive ceremony on Saturday morning, October 1, 1927. It was dedicated on Wednesday evening, May 25, 1928. Overtime there has been classrooms added on to the building and other buildings built behind the school. There has also been a new playground added. More than 100 years ago there were 26 schools (24 white and 2 colored) in the county. The white schools were: Jett, Five Lick, Ogdon, Johnson, Greasy Creek, Piqua, Abigail, Brewer, Mt. Olivet, Rigg, Hitt, Kentontown, Sparks, McKenzie, Wood, Bratton, Burika, Thomas, Linville, Sullivan, Culp, Burnt, Buckner and Bradley. The two colored schools were located at Mt. Olivet and Piqua. The schools showed 1,485 students enrolled. The schooling in the early days of Robertson County was not enough even for those days. There was not free transportation and not many books available.

http://school.robertson.k12.ky.us/education/school/schoolhistory.php?sectiondetailid=34247&sc_id=1171406949&PHPSESSID=4f0029b3b7cf6d2d6e7ba39000a9465f

As far as a Team being called Robertson County in the 80's, It was not the Deming School in MT Olivet Kentucky, According to a very very well know history buff from DEMING. The school was Robertson County High School Before 1927. After 1927 there were know as the DEMING BLACK DEVILS. I just got off the phone with this lady and she taught there 30 plus years ago . And that is the FACTS, And as far as the school being changed to another name, That will not ever happen as long as it is on the property it is now, It was given to Robertson County High School and The person that gave it to them was a person with the last name of DEMING.. Just a history FACT:

So I was right in both cases.

All of the Deming descendants are dead. Katherine Deming was the last of the line when she died a few years ago. Unfortunately there is none of them around to make sure the name is kept.

I really feel the high school should change. I really got tired of people asking where Deming County is and still do. But I do think the elementary school should still be called Deming and I'm for keeping the devils.

Well they still have the Vo-Tech building which is still in pretty good condition. I wish we had gotten a new school when I still went there.

The current plans keep both the gym and the vo tech building. The old building will be torn down.:cry: :confused: But I know things change.

All of the Deming descendants are dead. Katherine Deming was the last of the line when she died a few years ago. Unfortunately there is none of them around to make sure the name is kept.

I really feel the high school should change. I really got tired of people asking where Deming County is and still do. But I do think the elementary school should still be called Deming and I'm for keeping the devils.

THE SCHOOL CAN NOT, and WILL NOT BE CHANGED OTHER THAN THE NAME "DEMING" AS LONG AS IT IS ON THAT PROPERTY. Yes it is, and was in writing way back in 1927..