Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

No more Deming Devils

Featured Replies

  • Author

I'm actually suprised no one has said "Rednecks" yet. :D :dancingpa

  • Replies 119
  • Views 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually suprised no one has said "Rednecks" yet. :D :dancingpa

:banana: But you can never replace the Deming Devils, even with a new school building.

I'm actually suprised no one has said "Rednecks" yet. :D :dancingpa

Ur welcome to jump in the truck and come up to the big house.:D

Ur welcome to jump in the truck and come up to the big house.:D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

  • Author
Ur welcome to jump in the truck and come up to the big house.:D

 

Hey dude. I was born & raised and graduated from DHS. I'm just shocked that with everything else that had been said, that one hadn't. Aren't you? In my personal opinion, I think it should stay devils. :D

Hey dude. I was born & raised and graduated from DHS. I'm just shocked that with everything else that had been said, that one hadn't. Aren't you? In my personal opinion, I think it should stay devils. :D

 

New school new start!

Hey dude. I was born & raised and graduated from DHS. I'm just shocked that with everything else that had been said, that one hadn't. Aren't you? In my personal opinion, I think it should stay devils. :D

In everyone's heart that went to DHS it'll always be the Devils. This'll be a debate till the new school actually opens, personally I wouldn't have a thing against calling the team The Devils.

In everyone's heart that went to DHS it'll always be the Devils. This'll be a debate till the new school actually opens, personally I wouldn't have a thing against calling the team The Devils.

I would not mind it either. They have been the Devils for all my life and they will be.

Tradition is a large factor in many small schools. Take a look at Augusta, the building is one hundred eleven years old and there are still students in it.

 

Keep it the Devils, that is what they have always been, why change now?

Staggs was a player back in the day.

Him and his brother "Woody" and me would shoot around a little bit in the gym before the game that day started, looks like it helped him everytime.

Okay, this is what I get for putting my name into Google. This website pops up and I am confronted with false information. Even though this was written in 2007 and likely read by few people, the false information needs to be dispelled.

 

My name is Osmer Sage Deming II and I am the great great grandson of Osmer Sage Deming (a/k/a "O.S. Deming") who lived in Mt. Olivet, Kentucky from late 1800's until the early 1900's. As you can probably guess, I was named for him as well as my great uncle. So, let's dispel some false information.

 

False Information #1, all of the Deming descendants are not dead. I am very much alive and I have a sister who is a Deming descendant, and many cousins who are also direct descendants of O.S. Deming.

 

False information #2, Katherine Deming was my grandmother but she was not a Deming descendant. Her maiden name was Buckner. My family tree research, however, has revealed that she had more Kentucky roots than the Demings.

 

False information #3, as for making sure the "name is kept", as a direct descendant I believe that the new school that was built should NOT have had my family name attached to it. O.S. Deming's house stood where the Deming School was built. It's my understanding that this land was dedicated for educational purposes. Whether the deed of dedication required the name "Deming" on the school is something that I do not know. But if that was a deed restriction, I respectfully disagree with it. I believe that the school should always have had the name "Robertson County High School." That is not to say that O.S. Deming did not contribute greatly to the community. He clearly did as a lawyer, a judge, a farmer, and, most importantly, as a Civil War veteran and an active member of the GAR who was known to have brought Kentucky veterans from both sides after the war. But Robertson is the name of the county and of the region.

 

In that same vein, I deplore how the names of sports arenas, theaters, and baseball fields are named after banks, cellphone companies, and even pet stores. The first choice for the name of any school should be the name of the city or the region in which it is situated.

 

With all that said, I am saddened and horrified that the Deming School was burned down last year. My father graduated from there in 1942. Though he wouldn't have cared about the name, he would not have been happy to have seen it burned down. My family visited my grandmother in Robertson County during the summers of my youth and we got to see what a beautiful building the school was. My hope is that the Kentucky authorities catch the person or persons responsible and prosecute the hell out of them.

Thas very much for the historical infomation. I always enjoy hearing such information about schools that have closed.

Why?

 

Knowing and talking to many people who are close to this. If and when a new school is built it will most likely be changed to Robertson County. As for the mascot it is still up in the air.

 

Deming was named so because the land that was used for the school was donated by the Deming family. However, they stated that if the school was not named Deming in their honor they would not give the land for the school. That has not set well with alot of the people in the community for years. Many want it changed to Robertson County to give the county more distinction. But what you have to realize is that this is not a done deal as of yet. If the school is built it will be for K-12.

 

Some of my mascot recommendations:

Ridge Runners

Road Runners

Red Raiders

Road Warriors

 

If I were donating the land and was just dead set on it being named what I wanted it to be and they didn't want to do it, I'd tell them they could build the school and name it whatever they wanted to... after they bought or used someone else's land.

Okay, this is what I get for putting my name into Google. This website pops up and I am confronted with false information. Even though this was written in 2007 and likely read by few people, the false information needs to be dispelled.

 

My name is Osmer Sage Deming II and I am the great great grandson of Osmer Sage Deming (a/k/a "O.S. Deming") who lived in Mt. Olivet, Kentucky from late 1800's until the early 1900's. As you can probably guess, I was named for him as well as my great uncle. So, let's dispel some false information.

 

False Information #1, all of the Deming descendants are not dead. I am very much alive and I have a sister who is a Deming descendant, and many cousins who are also direct descendants of O.S. Deming.

 

False information #2, Katherine Deming was my grandmother but she was not a Deming descendant. Her maiden name was Buckner. My family tree research, however, has revealed that she had more Kentucky roots than the Demings.

 

False information #3, as for making sure the "name is kept", as a direct descendant I believe that the new school that was built should NOT have had my family name attached to it. O.S. Deming's house stood where the Deming School was built. It's my understanding that this land was dedicated for educational purposes. Whether the deed of dedication required the name "Deming" on the school is something that I do not know. But if that was a deed restriction, I respectfully disagree with it. I believe that the school should always have had the name "Robertson County High School." That is not to say that O.S. Deming did not contribute greatly to the community. He clearly did as a lawyer, a judge, a farmer, and, most importantly, as a Civil War veteran and an active member of the GAR who was known to have brought Kentucky veterans from both sides after the war. But Robertson is the name of the county and of the region.

 

In that same vein, I deplore how the names of sports arenas, theaters, and baseball fields are named after banks, cellphone companies, and even pet stores. The first choice for the name of any school should be the name of the city or the region in which it is situated.

 

With all that said, I am saddened and horrified that the Deming School was burned down last year. My father graduated from there in 1942. Though he wouldn't have cared about the name, he would not have been happy to have seen it burned down. My family visited my grandmother in Robertson County during the summers of my youth and we got to see what a beautiful building the school was. My hope is that the Kentucky authorities catch the person or persons responsible and prosecute the hell out of them.

 

One of the BEST 1st post in quite some time. BTW, love the history lesson. :thumb:

The Falmouth Red Devils consolidated with the Butler Bobcats and the Morgan Raiders to form the Pendleton County Wildcats!!

 

I believe this to be incorrect,,as I recall there was a Falmouth HS and a Pendleton County HS for some time..

I believe this to be incorrect,,as I recall there was a Falmouth HS and a Pendleton County HS for some time..

 

That's correct. Butler and Morgan consolidated to form Pendleton County and then around 10~ years later Falmouth merged into the existing Pendleton County High School.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.