When does football start at your school?

LSURock

I heard Coach Glaser state that the Tigers were already hard at it over a week ago. I'm pretty sure the Rocks have started preparations for anoter title run. What about everyone else? Have you started already? If not, when? What do you have your kids doing at this point?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Coach Glaser state that the Tigers were already hard at it over a week ago. I'm pretty sure the Rocks have started preparations for anoter title run. What about everyone else? Have you started already? If not, when? What do you have your kids doing at this point?

Highlands kids started lifting as a group the Monday after the loss to CovCath. The coaches started the official off season weightlifting and conditioning program the first school day after the Christmas break. Its Mon, Wed and Friday from approx 3 (when school gets out) to approx 6 (we called it the 60 Minutes program when I played. If they still call it that, some one should contact the Attorney General's office as it is certainly constitutes "false advertising"). This will continue until spring football, and after spring football it picks back up (except for Spring break, but even then most of them lift regardless of whether they go on vacation or not) until school lets out and it shifts to the summer conditioning mode, which is much much more intense. You have to love it to do it!

I heard from my nephew (player at CCH) Covington Catholic got 3 weeks off after the state champion victory and started lifting and conditioning 3 days after school until 5:00 and 1 before school starting at 6:00. He also said although they dont have a head coach they are still going at it in the weight room.

Football at our school does not end. OUr coach has had them doing blocking drills the day after season. we did not make the playoffs so we have been at it for some time. I really feel that we will make some big steps in being district competitors this year. It will take us a couple of years but we could get ther if our coach keeps working them like he has so far.

Football at our school does not end. OUr coach has had them doing blocking drills the day after season. we did not make the playoffs so we have been at it for some time. I really feel that we will make some big steps in being district competitors this year. It will take us a couple of years but we could get ther if our coach keeps working them like he has so far.

What school is your school?

Highlands kids started lifting as a group the Monday after the loss to CovCath. The coaches started the official off season weightlifting and conditioning program the first school day after the Christmas break. Its Mon, Wed and Friday from approx 3 (when school gets out) to approx 6 (we called it the 60 Minutes program when I played. If they still call it that, some one should contact the Attorney General's office as it is certainly constitutes "false advertising"). This will continue until spring football, and after spring football it picks back up (except for Spring break, but even then most of them lift regardless of whether they go on vacation or not) until school lets out and it shifts to the summer conditioning mode, which is much much more intense. You have to love it to do it!

Several 6th graders are inquiring about the 60 min. club as far as getting in there to learn technique and form. I am not for putting a bunch of weight on a bar for kids this age but from what I hear, they get them in there and let them lift the bar and do reps. Nothing wrong with throwing them on the dip bar, doing some pushups, situps and conditioning though. I thought the 60 min club relates to the fact that they do 60 min workouts. The big 3...Squat, Bench and Clean/Deadlift. Get in and get out. No socializing, taking breaks, etc. If they are there for 3 hours are they overdoing it? Your thoughts LN as your boys obviously have participated and are still participating.

Several 6th graders are inquiring about the 60 min. club as far as getting in there to learn technique and form. I am not for putting a bunch of weight on a bar for kids this age but from what I hear, they get them in there and let them lift the bar and do reps. Nothing wrong with throwing them on the dip bar, doing some pushups, situps and conditioning though. I thought the 60 min club relates to the fact that they do 60 min workouts. The big 3...Squat, Bench and Clean/Deadlift. Get in and get out. No socializing, taking breaks, etc. If they are there for 3 hours are they overdoing it? Your thoughts LN as your boys obviously have participated and are still participating.

Agreed on this point, but you can get your younger (6th-8th) players in to learn the technique so that when they do start heavy lifting they have the technique down. Plus it gets them in the routine and builds team unity.