AAU

Beta

I'm sorry but there is NO WAY that anyone can convince me that AAU coaching is "often better" than the coaching that schools provide. Occasionally better - maybe, but overall I'll stick with NO WAY...:fight:

I agree with you Yoda. :thumb: Having witnessed it as a coach myself, as a father of a player, and as a referee. There is no way that all AAU coaches are intersetd in developing solid fundamental basketball skills. AAu is more on teh standout skills than on the team first concept.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a person who has played and coached at both the middle school/ high school level in AAU and in schools I can tell you that a person associated with the school is usually the better coaches.

From 12/u AAU down though it might be better for you child to play AAU.

AAU 13/u and up for the most part, is nothing but an illegal meat market.

As for Ford, he is not perfect but as someone who practiced and traveled with his teams, he always kept his word.

As anything these days, it takes a good amount of money to enter teams in tourneys as well as rental fees for a place to practice. The down side is some families can't afford the cost, this mostly effects inter city kids, is it fare to everyone else to make them pay extra money for those who cant afford to go? There are some teams that charge most of the players in the area of $3,000 per year, but don't charge others one cent, to me that isn't fare for those paying the extra money so the others can play. Sometimes a player cannot find a sponsor, there are just so much money people will donate.

I was at an AAU event last spring and was shocked at the language that the coach was using towards his 6th grade team, I was more shocked that the parents there did not step up to complain about the coaches language towards 6th graders. Then we wonder why these kids are using foul language anywhere and anytime, on and off the court. This was the firsttime I ever seen this after watching 100s of AAU games.

But over all I think AAU is a good experience.

First off, I don't condone foul language that is directed at any player but do you think middle and high school coaches don't use foul language. I watched an AAU 6th grade game on Sat where the coach used a few bad words during timeouts but he didnt degrade the boys and the kids responded. I think you have to be very careful in this situation and I personally would never use that language with my boys simply because I wouldnt want to deal with the repercussions from the parents as they would not stand for it. However, certain coaches set the expectatins with the parents before they start the season and I know for a fact this one particular coach I am speaking of does this. Apparently they are fine with it. But lets not be naive here and think school coaches dont cuss. Trust me, I heard some foul language plenty when I played all through Jr. and High school and I wasnt emotionally damaged by it.

I think we are talking about two different animals. I'm ok with the younger AAU stuff as I posted earlier.

It's the high school 17 and under, all-star, high profile, sponsored by NIKE or ADIDAS, OJ Mayo publicity making, money hungry AAU crooks that I'm talking about.

The Scott Co. Heat 9 and under team has one of the best coaches around coaching them. Those kids are blessed to have a good man and a good coach. He teaches the fundamentals and teaches the kids how to play team ball. We don't even have grade school teams in Scott Co. My posts are about High School aged kids only... and comparing those coaches to Varsity and JV coaches only.

I watched those boys play this weekend and I have to tell you, they are some fine players for being that young. They all handle the ball well and it was fun just sitting there watching a bunch of 9 yr olds play so well. I told my assistant coach, somebody has to be teaching those kids something because they all were very fundamentally strong. Kudos to those coaches on that Scott Co 9u team.:thumb:

But lets not be naive here and think school coaches dont cuss.

I coach spring ad summer ball, I just think dropping F-bombs left and right and such in front of 6th graders is too much, as they get older the use of foul language may be more acceptable. I just don't think grade school or middle school coaches in a school system or club team should go that far with their language towards the younger kids.

We are upset and frown on when we go to places like the movies or local mall and hear these same young kids dropping F-bombs and they don't seem to care. All coaches, for either school teams or club teams, should watch their mouths around the younger ages. Plus, if the younger kids just repeat the same words on the court that the coach just directed at them they get a T. I just believe at that age coaches should set more of an example.

I coach spring ad summer ball, I just think dropping F-bombs left and right and such in front of 6th graders is too much, as they get older the use of foul language may be more acceptable. I just don't think grade school or middle school coaches in a school system or club team should go that far with their language towards the younger kids.

We are upset and frown on when we go to places like the movies or local mall and hear these same young kids dropping F-bombs and they don't seem to care. All coaches, for either school teams or club teams, should watch their mouths around the younger ages. Plus, if the younger kids just repeat the same words on the court that the coach just directed at them they get a T. I just believe at that age coaches should set more of an example.

I totally agree, nice post. In the end, we are not just trying to make the kids better ballhandlers or shooters. Sports teaches many things like discipline, respect, motivation, etc. Setting poor examples by using foul language is not what were trying to teach.

I watched those boys play this weekend and I have to tell you, they are some fine players for being that young. They all handle the ball well and it was fun just sitting there watching a bunch of 9 yr olds play so well. I told my assistant coach, somebody has to be teaching those kids something because they all were very fundamentally strong. Kudos to those coaches on that Scott Co 9u team.:thumb:

Where was this at SOAS???? If so who won the tourney????

Where was this at SOAS???? If so who won the tourney????

BCI tourney at SOAS in Florence- next to Boone Co high school. That is where they play those BCI tourneys mostly. They had some cool uniforms and you can see why Scott Co is such a good program.

Grade School tourney out there this week for 3rd - 6th grade. If you want more info PM me.

Not sure who won that age level. The Cincy Knights were there in the 10U and they are 2 time National champs. They looked good and the Cincy Lakers had a bunch of teams out there.

Is AAU involvement good for the kids? It seems that it gives them additional play experience and some exposure, but it also seems expensive and time consumning. What do these AAU people get out of this?

If you want to give your son a chance to make and play on his high school team (if it is a large school) then you should let him play. Our freshmen team has 15 players, 11 of those played AAU in middle school. A lot of kids tried out for the high school team but the kids that didn't play AAU didn't make the team.

As a parent, it is your responsibility to check out the coach. There are good AAU coaches and bad ones. The same is true for school coaches. It can be expensive and it can be time consuming. But it doesn't have to be. Not every team travels. Some just play in local leagues. There are different levels of AAU also. Division 1 teams are usually teams with kids from all over the state or region. Division 2 teams are school or neighborhood teams. KY holds tournaments for both divisions. AAU has a national tournament for both.

If you asked my son and his friends they would tell you it has been a great experience.

I watched my brother play aau this summer and actually many summers and to be honest for me it is more fun. You do lose the atmosphere of high school basketball which stinks but the all around game is so much better. In high school you are going to have guys on the team that are weak links for the most part. But in the summer the whole team is good which makes the game faster cleaner and better.

If you want to give your son a chance to make and play on his high school team (if it is a large school) then you should let him play. Our freshmen team has 15 players, 11 of those played AAU in middle school. A lot of kids tried out for the high school team but the kids that didn't play AAU didn't make the team.

As a parent, it is your responsibility to check out the coach. There are good AAU coaches and bad ones. The same is true for school coaches. It can be expensive and it can be time consuming. But it doesn't have to be. Not every team travels. Some just play in local leagues. There are different levels of AAU also. Division 1 teams are usually teams with kids from all over the state or region. Division 2 teams are school or neighborhood teams. KY holds tournaments for both divisions. AAU has a national tournament for both.

If you asked my son and his friends they would tell you it has been a great experience.

Nice Post :thumb: Ryle has a bright future ahead of them as I have watched some of those boys play AAU from grades 6-8. Each class seems to have some very talented kids.

The same can be said of Boone County. Their top 3 varsity scorers (Bray, McFarland, Earls) have all played significant AAU ball. The top 4 freshmen, who have also been starters on their school teams since 6th grade, have all played AAU ball since 4th grade. I know at least a few of them have loved the AAU experience.

The same can be said of Boone County. Their top 3 varsity scorers (Bray, McFarland, Earls) have all played significant AAU ball. The top 4 freshmen, who have also been starters on their school teams since 6th grade, have all played AAU ball since 4th grade. I know at least a few of them have loved the AAU experience.

True, those guys played on some very good AAU teams.