Region 16 Rivalries

We are in the throws of intra-regional action in the 16th Region and each

year I hear a great deal of debate over who exactly is one school's biggest

rival(s). So to help myself and others, I have devised this flow chart of malice

so that perhaps we can all understand. Notice how the different thicknesses

represent different amounts of dislike; specifically the amount of repugnance

that Greenup has for Russell and the eveness of negative spirit between

Ashland Paul Blazer and Boyd County, as well as the eveness of other

logical pairs in the region. Interesting to this chart is the off and on rivalry

of Ashland and Rose Hill. I think there is a bit of disdain from one side there,

but I don't know if it is (or philosophically can be) returned. Also, left out of

this chart are the schools in the lower right hand corner. I don't really know

their place in all this if they have one.

So what does everyone think? Is this about accurate? Surely everyone can

benefit from (and critique) such a chart for a greater understanding of our

region.

RegionRivals.GIF

I'm of an age where I can remember the old Rowan County-Breck rivalry; those games got pretty intense. Does the FCOM (flow chart of malice) take into account historical rivalries involving defunct bastions of secondary education, or only the extant institutions?

Excellent deptiction here. Superb art work

Morgan getting booted out of the 61st district was a shady situation in my opinion. It has killed the Rowan/Morgan rivalry which in my opinion was right behind Ashland/Boyd and equal to East/West and those three matchups were the longest running and most intense rivalries in the 16th.

Speaking of Russell-Greenup:

Since Coach Hicks called a timeout with 3 seconds to go, with the game in hand, for no other reason than to celebrate with the fans two years ago, the intensity has amplified. Russell hopes to play Greenup in the "Texas Death Match"- first district tourney game, each year. One and done!;) :eek:

Red Shift, for some odd reason you made my day with your chart. I didnt read your post before I looked over your chart, I thought you were a 13 year old. Thats funny, good stuff. Also pretty accurate in my opinion.

Strange things happen when you start thinking and procrastinating from doing

college application essays at 1:30 in the morning.:eek:

I'm of an age where I can remember the old Rowan County-Breck rivalry; those games got pretty intense. Does the FCOM (flow chart of malice) take into account historical rivalries involving defunct bastions of secondary education, or only the extant institutions?

I'm always open to suggestions, but an FCOF that size may require multiple

posts.

Tollesboro vs Lewis County, though it was 10th vs 16th (in the same county),was as intense as any rivalry in the state especially the year before the consolidation.

The Tollesboro--Lewis Co game was always a big rivalry as far back as I can remember(early fifties) .The talk of consolidation the year before consolidation was so bitter that the games had to be called off because of threats. To me ,it was always a fun game. I loved them :argue: