Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ray Graham resigns at Harrison County

Featured Replies

 

My wonderful friend, and Brother in Christ, Ray Graham, has resigned at Harrison County HS.

He finishes with 252 wins. 40 seasons as a head coach. In addition to Harrison County, Ray was the head coach at Rowan County & LCA.

8 seasons serving as an assistant at Franklin County (2 years), Highlands, Liberty U., & Georgetown College. 

Ray and I first crossed paths when I was 4 years old and he was a junior at Danville HS, playing football against my Dad's Boyle County team. Ray's Dad, Gippy, was the head basketball coach at Boyle and became one of my Dad's best friends.  I've got the 16 mm film from that game and can still watch Ray getting mad because he was open in the endzone but the ball was thrown elsewhere, incomplete!  ?

Besides being an excellent, hard-nosed football coach who loves kids, Ray is a follower of Jesus Christ. Ray has been a wonderful example for me and so many coaches these past 4 decades.  Ray is a living, breathing, walking example of Colossians 3:23. 

I sure do love Coach and his family. His wonderful wife, Patsy, has been incredibly supportive for all of these years. It is time for him be with his family more, they sure have earned it.

KY HS Football will never be the same without you on the sideline, that is for sure!

Love ya Ray and thank you!! 

 

image.png.aa7221a39245f0773d8198fff352c233.png 

9 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

 

My wonderful friend, and Brother in Christ, Ray Graham, has resigned at Harrison County HS.

He finishes with 252 wins. 40 seasons as a head coach. In addition to Harrison County, Ray was the head coach at Rowan County & LCA.

8 seasons serving as an assistant at Franklin County (2 years), Highlands, Liberty U., & Georgetown College. 

Ray and I first crossed paths when I was 4 years old and he was a junior at Danville HS, playing football against my Dad's Boyle County team. Ray's Dad, Gippy, was the head basketball coach at Boyle and became one of my Dad's best friends.  I've got the 16 mm film from that game and can still watch Ray getting mad because he was open in the endzone but the ball was thrown elsewhere, incomplete!  ?

Besides being an excellent, hard-nosed football coach who loves kids, Ray is a follower of Jesus Christ. Ray has been a wonderful example for me and so many coaches these past 4 decades.  Ray is a living, breathing, walking example of Colossians 3:23. 

I sure do love Coach and his family. His wonderful wife, Patsy, has been incredibly supportive for all of these years. It is time for him be with his family more, they sure have earned it.

KY HS Football will never be the same without you on the sideline, that is for sure!

Love ya Ray and thank you!! 

 

image.png.aa7221a39245f0773d8198fff352c233.png 

Spot on as always Chief!!

Coach Graham is a great man. He treated me with respect and helped me when I needed guidance as a young coach. He made sure my teams were offered opportunities and always reached out with encouragement. Thanks and Good Luck coach Graham

Any chance he has interest in the Estill job? Seems like he applied for it back when it came open last time before Estill went with Coach Marcum. 

  • Author
48 minutes ago, All State Baseball said:

Any chance he has interest in the Estill job? Seems like he applied for it back when it came open last time before Estill went with Coach Marcum. 

I love Coach, but if he does I may kick his tail. ? His wife Patsy is a Saint! Really hope he has a lot more family time.
 

 His daughter one time showed up at a meeting that Ray was having w/ a Superintendent and got after the Superintendent! This is a special/loyal family. They have paid their dues and shared him enough… but that is just my opinion. 
 

This dynamic goes for a lot of football coach families. The family will tease, pick on the Dad, constantly. But, if someone goes after the Dad, fiercely loyal. 
 

My bunch wears me out….constantly!  When I complain, my oldest son, JCB, says, “Dad, you give us a lot of material.” 
 

Lol

But, where I will accept negative stuff, forgive, move on, the family has a much harder time doing so. 
 

I have been fortunate to have met Ray when I was 21 years old. I worked for him for 3 seasons. He sang at my wedding. He has always been there for me and ditto on all the good stuff I have read on here so far. A true Christian man. 

Maybe one more mis-sent reply all email for old times sake, Coach Graham?!

Would it have been appropriate or ironic if Coach Graham's resignation went out to everyone on the list serve?

Does anybody have his record by year and school? I didn't know he coached at Rowan. 

3 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

Does anybody have his record by year and school? I didn't know he coached at Rowan. 

I think he did two stints at Rowan. His last time at Rowan he was there 2 years...2-8 in 2014, and 5-6 in 2015. He came back to Harrison in 2018 or 19. Almost 40 years of coaching, and 31 or so spent at Harrison. He's on the all time wins list on the KHSAA site. The numbers below don't include the 23 season.

 

image.png.a5f94a6b8156d6f8fe1625800c3e10fb.png

On 1/27/2024 at 5:36 PM, rjs4470 said:

I think he did two stints at Rowan. His last time at Rowan he was there 2 years...2-8 in 2014, and 5-6 in 2015. He came back to Harrison in 2018 or 19. Almost 40 years of coaching, and 31 or so spent at Harrison. He's on the all time wins list on the KHSAA site. The numbers below don't include the 23 season.

 

image.png.a5f94a6b8156d6f8fe1625800c3e10fb.png

Coach Graham finished his career with 252 Career wins. I believe 252-200 was his overall record as a HC.  171-111 at Harrison County. 

On 1/27/2024 at 1:52 PM, colonel-fan said:

Does anybody have his record by year and school? I didn't know he coached at Rowan. 

I went back through and looked up past season results in newspaper archives. I show Coach Graham with 1 fewer win and 1 more loss than the KHSAA has him credited with, but that's really neither here nor there.

Head Coaching Record Overall (40 seasons): 251-201 (55.5% winning)
Head Coaching Record 1980s (10 seasons): 72-40 (64.3% winning)
Head Coaching Record 1990s (10 seasons): 60-52 (53.6% winning)
Head Coaching Record 2000s (8 seasons): 62-31 (66.7% winning)
Head Coaching Record 2010s (8 seasons): 41-53 (43.6% winning)
Head Coaching Record 2020s (4 seasons): 16-25 (39.0% winning)

1976 Highlands - Assistant Coach
1977 Liberty Baptist College - Assistant Coach
1978 Franklin County - Assistant Coach
1979 Franklin County - Assistant Coach
1980 Rowan County (6-4)
1981 Rowan County (11-1)
1982 Rowan County (7-6)
1983 Harrison County (5-5)
1984 Harrison County (5-6)
1985 Harrison County (7-4)
1986 Harrison County (6-4)
1987 Harrison County (7-4)
1988 Harrison County (9-3)
1989 Harrison County (9-3)
1990 Harrison County (6-5)
1991 Harrison County (2-9)
1992 Harrison County (3-8)
1993 Harrison County (8-3)
1994 Harrison County (10-1)
1995 Harrison County (3-8)
1996 Harrison County (7-5)
1997 Harrison County (7-4)
1998 Harrison County (6-5)
1999 Harrison County (8-4)
2000 Harrison County (12-1)
2001 Harrison County (9-2)
2002 Harrison County (7-4)
2003 Harrison County (5-6)
2004 Harrison County (8-3)
2005 Harrison County (6-5)
2006 Harrison County (5-6)
2007 Harrison County (10-4)
2008 Lexington Christian Academy - Assistant Coach
2009 Lexington Christian Academy - Assistant Coach
2010 Lexington Christian Academy (10-4)
2011 Lexington Christian Academy (6-7)
2012 Lexington Christian Academy (6-6)
2013 Lexington Christian Academy (1-10)
2014 Rowan County (2-8)
2015 Rowan County (5-6)
2016 Georgetown College - Assistant Coach
2017 Georgetown College - Assistant Coach
2018 Harrison County (7-5)
2019 Harrison County (4-7)
2020 Harrison County (5-3)
2021 Harrison County (3-9)
2022 Harrison County (2-8)
2023 Harrison County (6-5)

On 1/30/2024 at 2:51 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I went back through and looked up past season results in newspaper archives. I show Coach Graham with 1 fewer win and 1 more loss than the KHSAA has him credited with, but that's really neither here nor there.

Head Coaching Record Overall (40 seasons): 251-201 (55.5% winning)
Head Coaching Record 1980s (10 seasons): 72-40 (64.3% winning)
Head Coaching Record 1990s (10 seasons): 60-52 (53.6% winning)
Head Coaching Record 2000s (8 seasons): 62-31 (66.7% winning)
Head Coaching Record 2010s (8 seasons): 41-53 (43.6% winning)
Head Coaching Record 2020s (4 seasons): 16-25 (39.0% winning)

1976 Highlands - Assistant Coach
1977 Liberty Baptist College - Assistant Coach
1978 Franklin County - Assistant Coach
1979 Franklin County - Assistant Coach
1980 Rowan County (6-4)
1981 Rowan County (11-1)
1982 Rowan County (7-6)
1983 Harrison County (5-5)
1984 Harrison County (5-6)
1985 Harrison County (7-4)
1986 Harrison County (6-4)
1987 Harrison County (7-4)
1988 Harrison County (9-3)
1989 Harrison County (9-3)
1990 Harrison County (6-5)
1991 Harrison County (2-9)
1992 Harrison County (3-8)
1993 Harrison County (8-3)
1994 Harrison County (10-1)
1995 Harrison County (3-8)
1996 Harrison County (7-5)
1997 Harrison County (7-4)
1998 Harrison County (6-5)
1999 Harrison County (8-4)
2000 Harrison County (12-1)
2001 Harrison County (9-2)
2002 Harrison County (7-4)
2003 Harrison County (5-6)
2004 Harrison County (8-3)
2005 Harrison County (6-5)
2006 Harrison County (5-6)
2007 Harrison County (10-4)
2008 Lexington Christian Academy - Assistant Coach
2009 Lexington Christian Academy - Assistant Coach
2010 Lexington Christian Academy (10-4)
2011 Lexington Christian Academy (6-7)
2012 Lexington Christian Academy (6-6)
2013 Lexington Christian Academy (1-10)
2014 Rowan County (2-8)
2015 Rowan County (5-6)
2016 - Did Not Coach
2017 - Did Not Coach
2018 Harrison County (7-5)
2019 Harrison County (4-7)
2020 Harrison County (5-3)
2021 Harrison County (3-9)
2022 Harrison County (2-8)
2023 Harrison County (6-5)

I believe he was an assistant at Gtown for a brief spell. I don't remember the years, but it would make sense that it would be those two blank years in 16/17

2 minutes ago, HedgeHog8 said:

I believe he was an assistant at Gtown for a brief spell. I don't remember the years, but it would make sense that it would be those two blank years in 16/17

Ahh, yep, only took a few seconds to find something about it on Google. He spent 2016 and 2017 as a volunteer assistant coach helping with the offense at Georgetown.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.