Texas A&M next head coach?

sportsfan41

15 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Jimbo Fisher, whose won a National Title, was run out of A&M. Unless you think Sroops is a better coach than Jimbo, why would you think he would have more success?

I've never thought Jimbo was good. He got lucky with Jameis being awesome and taking FSU to a title. Jimbo bullied the ACC when, let's face it, it wasn't that great. A&M has been ranked in the top 6 two times in the last three seasons, only to go on to lose 4 games and 7 games in two of those seasons. 

Could Stoops do better, sure he could. It's not guaranteed, but he definitely could do better than Jimbo.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Twitter, I mean X, is hilarious right now.  If Stoops is the hire, he will face adversity right off the bat.  Not a lot of positive tweets out there from A&M fans.  

That's my biggest reason for questioning the reports.  Seems an underwhelming hire for A&M.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I've never thought Jimbo was good. He got lucky with Jameis being awesome and taking FSU to a title. Jimbo bullied the ACC when, let's face it, it wasn't that great. A&M has been ranked in the top 6 two times in the last three seasons, only to go on to lose 4 games and 7 games in two of those seasons. 

Could Stoops do better, sure he could. It's not guaranteed, but he definitely could do better than Jimbo.

I understand how it ended, but six 10 win seasons in his tenure, the BCS title, a couple Orange Bowl wins…. He did very, very well. Jimbo’s problem became his rigidity. He believes in his system and refuses to evolve with the times. He is loyal to his assistants to his own detriment. I didn’t follow A&M as closely, but at FSU, it was apparent for years that he was neglecting the offensive line and needed a change in his coaches. He wouldn’t do it, and the failure of that helped put FSU into a tailspin they are only now recovering from. But I think it’s a real stretch to say he was never good. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

I understand how it ended, but six 10 win seasons in his tenure, the BCS title, a couple Orange Bowl wins…. He did very, very well. Jimbo’s problem became his rigidity. He believes in his system and refuses to evolve with the times. He is loyal to his assistants to his own detriment. I didn’t follow A&M as closely, but at FSU, it was apparent for years that he was neglecting the offensive line and needed a change in his coaches. He wouldn’t do it, and the failure of that helped put FSU into a tailspin they are only now recovering from. But I think it’s a real stretch to say he was never good. 

I said, "I never thought he was that good," not that he wasn't. He of course had a good run in Tallahassee. At A&M he's had every thing a coach could ever dream of, yet couldn't win at the highest levels. Some, as you mentioned due to stubbornness and ego. As I said, I've just never been impressed by him.

Just now, Jumper_Dad said:

I said, "I never thought he was that good," not that he wasn't. He of course had a good run in Tallahassee. At A&M he's had every thing a coach could ever dream of, yet couldn't win at the highest levels. Some, as you mentioned due to stubbornness and ego. As I said, I've just never been impressed by him.

I hear you now - but I think you need to read the first sentence of what I quoted. “That” was not part of the sentence, which is what prompted the response. “That good”, I can understand a bit more. 

• Like 1

Comparing the two team’s records the past 6 years. 

Texas A&M- 47-28

Kentucky- 47-26

Taking into account that Kentucky usually plays at least one lesser opponent than A&M and the last several years the SEC west top to bottom has been tougher. However these are still pretty comparable numbers. 

6 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Comparing the two team’s records the past 6 years. 

Texas A&M- 47-28

Kentucky- 47-26

Taking into account that Kentucky usually plays at least one lesser opponent than A&M and the last several years the SEC west top to bottom has been tougher. However these are still pretty comparable numbers. 

That is absolutely great for UK considering the resources and money commitment given at A&M. 

Just to be clear, he absolutely will leave at some point. Honestly I'm not sure how much more can be accomplished here. He could have a 10-2 season maybe, or even sniff the CFP from time to time, but there is definitely a ceiling for Kentucky football that most fans refuse to concede.

Screenshot_20231126-104414_Chrome.jpg