Texas A&M next head coach?

sportsfan41

17 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Just to be clear, he absolutely will leave at some point. Honestly I'm not sure how much more can be accomplished here. He could have a 10-2 season maybe, or even sniff the CFP from time to time, but there is definitely a ceiling for Kentucky football that most fans refuse to concede.

Screenshot_20231126-104414_Chrome.jpg

I do wonder how this affects his image within the fan base. Satterfield was done with most after he flirted with South Carolina. 

27 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I do wonder how this affects his image within the fan base. Satterfield was done with most after he flirted with South Carolina. 

Like everything there will be some that will complain and say they wish he'd left any time they lose. 

The difference is, I don't feel like the fans ever really liked or bought into Satt. UK fans as a whole, love Stoops.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Like everything there will be some that will complain and say they wish he'd left any time they lose. 

The difference is, I don't feel like the fans ever really liked or bought into Satt. UK fans as a whole, love Stoops.

I disagree there. The overwhelming majority were completely on board in Satt’s first year. Then he flirted with SC, and that was all over. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I disagree there. The overwhelming majority were completely on board in Satt’s first year. Then he flirted with SC, and that was all over. 

Maybe I didn't pay much attention to him that first year. By the time I knew his first name was Scott the Card fans I know around here were ready for him to go after his first Governors Cup loss.

It didn't help Satt that he was 4-7 while flirting with SC. I think a lot were down on him for his record that year before he ever talked to SC.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Maybe I didn't pay much attention to him that first year. By the time I knew his first name was Scott the Card fans I know around here were ready for him to go after his first Governors Cup loss.

It didn't help Satt that he was 4-7 while flirting with SC. I think a lot were down on him for his record that year before he ever talked to SC.

I can’t speak for the few people you are referring to. In Louisville, folks were upset he’d flirt with SC after only two years, the record wasn’t a factor. After that, any good will he had earned in his first season was gone. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Mike Elko, former Duke HC.

Makes sense, although I'm not sure that's much better than Stoops.  But with him not being an SEC guy, the fans likely didn't have a lot to complain about.  And then, like every fan base, I'm sure they had some that wouldn't be happy no matter who was hired.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Makes sense, although I'm not sure that's much better than Stoops.  But with him not being an SEC guy, the fans likely didn't have a lot to complain about.  And then, like every fan base, I'm sure they had some that wouldn't be happy no matter who was hired.  

At least Stoops has been consistently mediocre for over a decade.  Elko has only been mediocre for 2 seasons.  We'll see if he can out recruit the Horns and Sooners in Texas to get to the top of the SEC.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I agree, I don’t see this being a better hire than Stoops. 

2 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

Elko might be great, but I don't see how the fan base would be more accepting of him than Stoops.  They both seem slightly above average to me.

Only thing I can think of is that they know less about Elko than Stoops which may work in his favor, at least for a little bit. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Only thing I can think of is that they know less about Elko than Stoops which may work in his favor, at least for a little bit. 

Yup, that what I was referring to with Elko not already being in the SEC, the fans probably didn't know as much about him.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

I heard a rumor that Stoops was prepared to accept and was in College Station, but word had leaked and the fanbase and donors let their displeasure known to administration.  

This is what happened. How far along it got we may never know. but that's the reason Stoops isn't at A&M.

• Like 1