Have we seen the end of the Big Three?

LSURock

Is it time to admit that Trinity is the top program in 4A (soon to be 6A) and the other two members of the so called Big Three have fallen a notch below. X and Male are still 2 and 2A but Trinity has as many titles as those two combined. This decade Trinity has won 4 out 6 years while the other two have collected 1 a piece. If the Rocks are able to win it all again this season to kick off the introduction of 6A I'd say that all doubt may have been removed. This would give the Rocks a "repeat three-peat". It has been posted on this site in the past few years that "these things go in cycles" and that it is like "a pendulum". Currently the facts don't support such theories. Your thoughts.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year Trinity was one foot or so away from being knocked off by Male. Male would likely have won the title had they won the game. In '05 Trinity got beat 48-16 in the regular season, then won the state title by another foot or so (on a controversial call). '03, a Brohm led team won the title by 3 points. In '02, it was the battle for the ages and Trinity won by 3.

This decade, Trinity has won 5 of 7. Male has one and X has one. Male was a foot away or so from probably having another and was three points from a third. X is 13 points from having a total of 3 this decade. The way I see things, in a game of inches, Trinity has made the breaks they need to win. Good teams do that. All in all they are also a few breaks from being on the losing end of four of their five. With those breaks it would look like H with 3, X with 3 and T with 1.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Trinity, because good teams find ways to win, but to say that they've dominated enough to be the "big one" is a bit premature I think. It will be interesting to see if Male falls off though. They haven't had the young talent the past couple of years.

They definitely have things going in the right direction with some good coaching, great QB leadership and a suitable schedule. I would not say that all others will just give up or ever fear the Rocks. With X the future looks fine and dandy and I hear that there is even a Brohm soon to be a tiger. Maybe he will do for Poplar Level what the Family has done for THS over the years.:thumb:

This year Trinity was one foot or so away from being knocked off by Male. Male would likely have won the title had they won the game. In '05 Trinity got beat 48-16 in the regular season, then won the state title by another foot or so (on a controversial call). '03, a Brohm led team won the title by 3 points. In '02, it was the battle for the ages and Trinity won by 3.

This decade, Trinity has won 5 of 7. Male has one and X has one. Male was a foot away or so from probably having another and was three points from a third. X is 13 points from having a total of 3 this decade. The way I see things, in a game of inches, Trinity has made the breaks they need to win. Good teams do that. All in all they are also a few breaks from being on the losing end of four of their five. With those breaks it would look like H with 3, X with 3 and T with 1.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Trinity, because good teams find ways to win, but to say that they've dominated enough to be the "big one" is a bit premature I think. It will be interesting to see if Male falls off though. They haven't had the young talent the past couple of years.

I stand corrected. Its worse than I thought. Trinity does have 5 of 7 and not 4 of 6 as I posted. With all due respect, I think the fact that you have to play the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" card futher illustrates my point.

Since 1968 Trinity has been the most dominant program in the state. The past 7 years have been the most dominant portion of that run. Neither X or Male has a 7 year run close to Trinity's. For that matter, neither school has had a three year run as dominant either. In fact, Trinity is the only school to three peat, a feat that has been accomplished twice already. I don't believe Male has ever repeated and X has only done it once, 31 years ago.

5 Titles, a three peat and a repeat, and a runner-up in seven years.

I think X had a shot to go on a run in 2005, but may have peaked too early, escaping from John Hardin and losing to a team they previously beat by 32 in the Finals. Many X fans have openly stated this year's team was a disappointment. If they struggle again next year...

Male's year was this year and they couldn't pull it out. I think Male may be "down" for a while.

BuddyBW,

I believe the results speak for themselves. A few years ago the X men had crowed that the "pendulum had swung" (tic-toc, tic-toc). That X had the best team in Glaser's tenure. The best back in Jefferson County since Sherman Lewis (Manual 1959). Three years have past and X won one title while the Rocks have a repeat to go with their three-peat. So why the :rolleyes:

About bolded comment number 1:

The only controversy about that call was why Anderson was not flagged for Unsportsmanlike Conduct after he grabbed the ball and threw it away.

About bolded comment number 2:

The fact is that Trinity put themselves in the position to make those breaks, no other team has even been close.

All Tell, I never said they didn't put themselves in that position. They clearly have. To say other teams haven't put themselves in that position is to ignore the fact that three out of the five state championships T has won in that span were won by a total of 14 points. Most seem to agree that the Male/T playoff game was the state championship this year. In total four championships won by a total of 18 points and a total of about 3 yards. You all made the big plays and played the best in the big games when it counted, but you already knew that.

Centre, I agree with most all of your post.