Have we seen the end of the Big Three?

LSURock

Are we talking about Championships or just overall Dominance??? If you go by Championships, then yes, I would have to agree that Trinity is in a certain class themselves about all else with all the trophies. However, if we are talking about "Dominance", then it would hard to eliminate the "other 2" as we have referred to. I remember a few years ago that Trinity won a state title after starting the year off 0-4. Not a dominant team but one that learned from their mistakes. Male could easily be argued as having dominated this season (pardon the woulda, coulda talk) and fell short of beating Trinity this year.

To me, a dominant team is one that that repeatedly puts forth 10 and 9 win seasons year in and year out. Not saying that Male and X do that every year and are the dominant teams, but i would argue that if we are comparing championships to overall play, the first would have Trinity in their own league...but the latter HAS to continue to include X & Male. And for that matter, I dont see them letting up any time soon. Maybe its just the way I am reading this thread. Though I guess you could argue that Trinty has dominated their district in years past. Then again, so has Male and X. Bottom line is....i think its comparing two different things.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe that since Beatty's arrival, and likely Cov's tenure in the future, we have primed oursevles to be the #1 in all of Kentucky...Trinity has widened the gap, regardless of how close the margin of victory was.

My comment is if there is a gap between 1 and 2 and 2A, does that compare to the gap between 2A and #4 as to whether it is a big 3? I believe that in grouping the teams from 1 to whatever that there is a larger separation among the rest beyond the Big 3. Case in point- When was the last Ky loss to a non big three member. Trinity 2004 to Dixie Heights, Male in 2005 to John Hardin, and St X to Lexington Catholic in 2003. I think since Trinity lost the 4 games to start the season in 2003 and lost to Seneca and Manual back to back, the big three have won every instate game except 3 ( Dixie Heights, John Hardin, and North Hardin- all playoff games) against all other Kentucky schools. The Big 3 exists and I would take it easy on dissing the Bulldogs- the scoreboard read 34-23 Male with 6:00 to go. I think it goes without saying that the focus is on who won but through the first 42 minutes, it was clearly Male. Would you want Male talking like what has happened to the Rocks if they had held on or scored? There is a big 3 and give the respect and you will get it in return.

The Big 3 exists and I would take it easy on dissing the Bulldogs- the scoreboard read 34-23 Male with 6:00 to go. I think it goes without saying that the focus is on who won but through the first 42 minutes, it was clearly Male. Would you want Male talking like what has happened to the Rocks if they had held on or scored? There is a big 3 and give the respect and you will get it in return.

I guess you weren't there because the score was 21-7 at half and it was all Trinity at that point. Male came out on fire and took the lead. The Rocks then settled down and took the lead back. The Rocks held on to win and the rest is history. So it was really a case of the 3rd quarter being all Male. The game is still on Insight On-Demand for your viewing pleasure.:D

Where's the modesty? What about the point of my post of the gap between 3 and 4 or does that require talking about other high school teams?

There has been a lot of discussion over the years on this board about how the Big Three is set apart from the rest of 4A. It is no secret that the Big Three has dominated 4A in the past. The point of this thread was ask if there exists a similar gap between Trinity and X/H? I think a case can be made for this theory. A number posters have displayed the data that could be used to support the claim. It has nothing to do with "modesty", its just a question up for discussion during the off season.

Look at the ratio of the Rock/X/Male fans on BGPs. If Male had the success of the Rocks do you think we would be bring these things up? How many true Male fans post on here? I know why the Rocks and X have been the better teams over the years. Its really the big two. And I'm not going there. Male has had better individual players, but the other guys better teams. Now that my senior is leaving I willnot be as close to the program as before so I'm be focusing on Fern Creek Baseball/soccer for a few years. My son is nine. I will post once in a while to stay in touch with some Rockfans. To quote myself "I will not have a Dog in this fight".

Look at the ratio of the Rock/X/Male fans on BGPs. If Male had the success of the Rocks do you think we would be bring these things up? How many true Male fans post on here? I know why the Rocks and X have been the better teams over the years. Its really the big two. And I'm not going there. Male has had better individual players, but the other guys better teams. Now that my senior is leaving I willnot be as close to the program as before so I'm be focusing on Fern Creek Baseball/soccer for a few years. My son is nine. I will post once in a while to stay in touch with some Rockfans. To quote myself "I will not have a Dog in this fight".

Actually there was a time where there were about as many Male fans as there were Rock fans on BGP, and Ol' Ox was the lone St.X fan.

Things change.

Thats interesting. How long has BGPs been on? In August it will three years for me. There were quite a bit of Male football parents who would check out the site, but were shy. I went to Iroquois, maybe I'll post more about the girls B-Ball program.

Back in 02 and 03.

Back in 02 and 03.

There were plenty of Male posters after 2000 and leading up to 2001. There were many spirited T/H threads in those days. Thats back when H used to listen to the games long distance from Michigan. Ah, the good old days.

The Big 3 exists and I would take it easy on dissing the Bulldogs- the scoreboard read 34-23 Male with 6:00 to go. I think it goes without saying that the focus is on who won but through the first 42 minutes, it was clearly Male. Would you want Male talking like what has happened to the Rocks if they had held on or scored? There is a big 3 and give the respect and you will get it in return.

Point 1.

Trinity outplayed Male the first half, Male outplayed Trinity the third quarter. It was not clearly Male dominance for 42 minutes as you would imply.

Point 2

Trinity was ahead at the end of the game which is all that really matters.

Point 3

Regardless of my or any Trinity fan's desires I'm certain that if Male would have won that game not only would we be hearing about it from the Male fans but a certain private school on Poplar Level Road supporter's would probably be chiming in as well.

Point 4

I don't seem to remember any restraint or any giving of respect after X beat Trinity in the regular season last year in what many from X informed us was a signal for the demise of Trinity as well as another chapter in X winning championships for the foreseeable future.

^^^Besides myself and H who would be on here talking about the win?

I can think of a few others and I'm willing to bet that the Male (the school not the gender) enrollment would have gone up, not to mention that a lot of the public school supporters would have chimed in as well.