10th Region Tournament Restructure Ruling

10th Region Athletic Directors today shot down a proposal to play first round regional games at the sites of District winners in an emergency meeting in Cynthiana, but did adopt a new format for the boys region this year assuming the vote is confirmed by the 10th Region principals.

The same proposal had been turned down three times in the past by principals the last time by a 16-2 vote.

Concerns still remained about playing the boys games on Monday and Tuesday and getting proper media coverage, kids being out on school nights, and also finance.

The idea was floated to keep the orginal format for girls in place this year and to play the boys semifinals on Saturday afternoon and the Championship Sunday afternoon.

After a long discussion it was decided to recomend that to the principals on a one year trial basis.

If the proposal is approved by the principals the Region format this year would be as follows.....

Monday March 5: Girls Region at Montgomery County first round games 6:30 and 8:00

Tuesday March 6: Girls Region at Montgomery County first round games 6:30 and 8:00

Wednesday March 7: Boys Region first round at Mason County split session 5:00 and 8:30

Thursday March 8: Boys Region first round at Mason County split session

5:00 and 8:30

Friday March 9: Girls Semifinals at Montgomery Co. 6:30 and 8:00

Saturday March 10: Boys Semifianls at Mason County split session

12 Noon and 3:30pm.

Saturday March 10: Girls Championship at Montgomery County 8:00 PM

Sunday March 11: Boys Championship at Mason County 3:00pm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things i really don't like here,The boys being played at noon and 3:30 on sat.And the girls that sat night at 8.Simply put the girls Championship game will suffer mightily here if any of the 2 girls teams playing in the championship game on Sat nite at 8 are from schools of the boys team playing the 3:30 game in Maysville.Because by the time that game is over people wont be able to make it to Montgomery County for the girls game{Again this only assumes that a team from the same school would be in each game}.Eight out of 10 fans would pick to wacth that boys semi game over there girls game that night when they have to choose.I would much rather the boys keep the mon/tue thing than this.And this is coming from a fan minutes from where the boys games are played.I would hate to be a fan an hour or more away and have to choose like this or make that noon game.

Just thought of this. I think the state tournament is going to be played a week later this year at Rupp Arena because UK is hosting first- and second-round NCAA Tournament games at Rupp. ... In the 11th region, they play the first-round games at home sites and then shift between richmond and frankfort I think. first- and second-round on Monday and Wednesday and finals on Friday. Girls' first-round games begin on Saturday and finals on Tuesday. That's the way it goes in the 11th region I think. ... Good format to follow. ...

Sunday game?

Why play on Sunday? The regular-season games aren't played on Sunday. Why should a region final be played on Sunday? IMO that would hurt attendance.

If my memory serves me correctly, one of the largest crowds ever for a Boys 10th Region final was on a Sunday afternoon. It was either 1996 or 1997. Somebody help me out.

Again, I'm willing to try anything once. If it doesn't work, then we can change it back.

10th Region Athletic Directors today shot down a proposal to play first round regional games at the sites of District winners in an emergency meeting in Cynthiana, but did adopt a new format for the boys region this year assuming the vote is confirmed by the 10th Region principals.

The same proposal had been turned down three times in the past by principals the last time by a 16-2 vote.

Concerns still remained about playing the boys games on Monday and Tuesday and getting proper media coverage, kids being out on school nights, and also finance.

The idea was floated to keep the orginal format for girls in place this year and to play the boys semifinals on Saturday afternoon and the Championship Sunday afternoon.

After a long discussion it was decided to recomend that to the principals on a one year trial basis.

If the proposal is approved by the principals the Region format this year would be as follows.....

Monday March 5: Girls Region at Montgomery County first round games 6:30 and 8:00

Tuesday March 6: Girls Region at Montgomery County first round games 6:30 and 8:00

Wednesday March 7: Boys Region first round at Mason County split session 5:00 and 8:30

Thursday March 8: Boys Region first round at Mason County split session

5:00 and 8:30

Friday March 9: Girls Semifinals at Montgomery Co. 6:30 and 8:00

Saturday March 10: Boys Semifianls at Mason County split session

12 Noon and 3:30pm.

Saturday March 10: Girls Championship at Montgomery County 8:00 PM

Sunday March 11: Boys Championship at Mason County 3:00pm

On the bold, I found it ironic that those were the concerns that the 10th Region Girls Basketball Coaches Association raised 3-4 years ago with the girls games being played on Tuesday nights. They made a proposal similar to what the boys are doing except we had semifinals on Saturday with the championship game on a Monday night. It was rejected by the same group, basically, that has set this in motion.

On the bold, I found it ironic that those were the concerns that the 10th Region Girls Basketball Coaches Association raised 3-4 years ago with the girls games being played on Tuesday nights. They made a proposal similar to what the boys are doing except we had semifinals on Saturday with the championship game on a Monday night. It was rejected by the same group, basically, that has set this in motion.

Ladiescoach - I thought you took the other thread a little too far with some of your points, but if this is the same situation as when the girls coaches proposed it - for the same reasons - then I'd say you and all the 10th region ladies have every right to be ticked off. They should have changed it for them back then...

I don't believe in the "2 wrongs" theory (I don't think the boys should have to play on those nights just because the girls had to). It was a bad decision then and it would be a bad decision now to make your teams play that close to the state tournament.

Ladiescoach - I thought you took the other thread a little too far with some of your points, but if this is the same situation as when the girls coaches proposed it - for the same reasons - then I'd say you and all the 10th region ladies have every right to be ticked off. They should have changed it for them back then...

I don't believe in the "2 wrongs" theory (I don't think the boys should have to play on those nights just because the girls had to). It was a bad decision then and it would be a bad decision now to make your teams play that close to the state tournament.

If my memory serves and I probably have it on my computer somewhere in the coaches association notes that was distributed to us after our meeting, our plan proposed to the principals was Boys first round, M-T; Girls first round W-R; Boys semis, Friday; Girls Semis Saturday noon; Boys Semis Saturday evening; Girls Finals Monday. We did discuss Sunday but went with Monday in our final proposal, I am pretty sure.

One of our concerns was no media coverage. We play the championship game on Tuesday night and the boys Sweet 16 starts the next morning. Guess what is the coverage in the newspapers and television. Not the 10th region Girls Basketball Championship.

Also, Estill County was used as an example. With the regional tournament at CCMS and them playing with that LONG drive, they had to spend the night on a Monday to be rested for the game on Tuesday. But their fans, drove back home on Monday night arriving well after midnight and then drag themselves back to Alexandria on Tuesday night. For the cheerleaders and pep band who had to be at school at 8:00 AM, that is two long, long days.

We felt that we lost some crowd that would come to the championship game on Tuesday but had already headed to the Boys' Sweet 16 on Tuesday night.

I apologize if I came across too strong in the other thread but I absolutely cannot stand for girls athletes to be taken advantage of just simply because they are girls.

I got your thoughts coach. I married one of the best "girl" ball players I have ever seen. Sometimes she has to remind me about girls and boys being separate but equal.

There is a lot of support for boys and girls basketball in the bluegrass. A whole lot more so than in other states I can attest to that. There is some good ball being played on both sides.

I got your thoughts coach. I married one of the best "girl" ball players I have ever seen. Sometimes she has to remind me about girls and boys being separate but equal.

There is a lot of support for boys and girls basketball in the bluegrass. A whole lot more so than in other states I can attest to that. There is some good ball being played on both sides.

:thumb:

And it is for the most part two different games. The girls have to play more team ball and executing fundamentals. And there is not much things prettier in sports besides a well executed pick and roll with a nice bounce pass from the guard to the rolling post player that powers the ball in for the basket.

The boys can throw an outlet 75 feet HARD and get the fast break going. They can grab a rebound above the rim and take it and go. They can do things, simply that don't occur in the girls game.

Both are joys to watch when done correctly.

Two things i really don't like here,The boys being played at noon and 3:30 on sat.And the girls that sat night at 8.Simply put the girls Championship game will suffer mightily here if any of the 2 girls teams playing in the championship game on Sat nite at 8 are from schools of the boys team playing the 3:30 game in Maysville.Because by the time that game is over people wont be able to make it to Montgomery County for the girls game{Again this only assumes that a team from the same school would be in each game}.Eight out of 10 fans would pick to wacth that boys semi game over there girls game that night when they have to choose.I would much rather the boys keep the mon/tue thing than this.And this is coming from a fan minutes from where the boys games are played.I would hate to be a fan an hour or more away and have to choose like this or make that noon game.

Boys semis would be over around 5 that afternoon. Its about a 1 hr drive or so from Maysville to Mt. Sterling and thats driving the speed limit. Fans wantint to see the girls finals will have more than enough time to get there.