Loud music from the booth

RetiredFan

Has anyone experienced a home team announcer play blaring music up until the visiting team offense snaps the ball.  I was always of the opinion they would be subject to an Un sportsman like penalty. Fans were going nuts trying to get them to stop doing that. The visiting team got beat by the better team that night, but it seemed like a cheap tactic.  

I personally think it should only be played during timeouts. I know there’s been several times we’ve been on offense at our home field, and our guy plays the music right before the snap. I have to say I’m not a big fan of that. This is just my opinion.

• Like 1

From nfhs.org website…

”Public-address announcers are responsible for delivering pertinent game-related information – not to be a play-by-play person or cheerleader. Taking liberties with biased and/or inflammatory announcements must not be tolerated. Their purpose is not to editorialize the quality of play or incite the home crowd in any way.
Working with the band/music director, the school administration must set proper guidelines and ensure compliance regarding when live or recorded music may be utilized.
Good sportsmanship does not occur on its own. Only with specific planning and coordination by all constituents is good sportsmanship achievable. Good sportsmanship is about respect. Good sports win with humility, lose with grace and do both with dignity.”

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GBR said:

From nfhs.org website…

”Public-address announcers are responsible for delivering pertinent game-related information – not to be a play-by-play person or cheerleader. Taking liberties with biased and/or inflammatory announcements must not be tolerated. Their purpose is not to editorialize the quality of play or incite the home crowd in any way.
Working with the band/music director, the school administration must set proper guidelines and ensure compliance regarding when live or recorded music may be utilized.
Good sportsmanship does not occur on its own. Only with specific planning and coordination by all constituents is good sportsmanship achievable. Good sportsmanship is about respect. Good sports win with humility, lose with grace and do both with dignity.”

I always thought the band was not aloud to play during game play either. Maybe that was just the rule at the school set.

8 minutes ago, Cobraxx said:

I always thought the band was not aloud to play during game play either. Maybe that was just the rule at the school set.

The band allowed to play between plays and during timeouts. Once the ref marks the ball ready to play and steps back music from band and PA should stop.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GBR said:

From nfhs.org website…

A lot of announcers need to read this especially the cheerleader part. I'm not a fan of homer announcers. I think you can sometimes have some excitement in your voice though. One of best announcers who did St. X/Trinity games was John Tong who also did UofL basketball games.

• Like 2

I think it's fine for PA announcers to show some excitement. The hometown "first down" or showing excitement during a score or big play is fine as long as it's not over the top, drawn out, or happening during the play. Otherwise, though, stick to who carried/caught the ball, made the tackle, etc. Basically, say what just happened and down and distance and move on. No commentary is necessary.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

A lot of announcers need to read this especially the cheerleader part. I'm not a fan of homer announcers. I think you can sometimes have some excitement in your voice though. One of best announcers who did St. X/Trinity games was John Tong who also did UofL basketball games.

Doubt I will go to the Male game and the main reason is I don't feel like listening to that guy over there anymore. 

• Like 2

That is definitely a cheap tactic and one I've also see in a few baseball games.  

I love listening to Drew Danneman and his crew on the CCH broadcast. Very fair and level headed but gets excited.  He definitely has a natural gift from Uncle Joe!

3 hours ago, Rock85 said:

Doubt I will go to the Male game and the main reason is I don't feel like listening to that guy over there anymore. 

I really thought this whole thread was created because of him, lol.

Those saying it's fine, have never been to Male. It's the worst.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NLTanker1 said:

I really thought this whole thread was created because of him, lol.

Those saying it's fine, have never been to Male. It's the worst.

That guy is an embarrassment to Male. Zero professionalism, and that is beneath the Male program. 

• Like 2

I attended the Conner vs NCC game this past Friday and I thought it was very purposeful and unsportsmanlike with their music.  Almost every time NCC had the ball music was played between plays and for an extended period of time.  It was even annoying during timeouts because it was very loud.  The announcer was loud but he did give “props” to NCC on good plays.  Conner was the better team and has some really nice players.  I don’t think the music had anything to do with the outcome but was definitely beyond reasonable.

• Like 1