2023 Fantasy Football Season

FatNate

It will not be long and many of us will put on our GM hats and pony a few bucks to draft a fantasy football team. It’s early but I have started to do a little reading, mostly at work (so don’t tell the bosses). What is everyone’s league like?  Any good league stories?  Any interesting scoring or formats? I have ran the same league for around 25 years now. We have a lot come and go, but have maintained the core 6-8 guys. Hoping to get back to an in person draft this year for the first time in a couple seasons. The league has been tweaked every couple of years but nothing all that unusual. We have moved up to a 12 team PPR league over the last few years. We reward long TDs. We don’t chop QB points, so they dominate scoring. It’s always bitter sweet to see summer end, but it does mean we get football!

• Like 1

We keep our 12 team league pretty standard for the most part with .5 PPR now. Switched to that 3-4 years ago. We do a keeper league, which are the first two rounds. No limit on how many times you can keep a guy.

Our league only really differs in that those who are in the toilet bowl actually play for the #1 pick (which is in the third round). I won that last year, so after keepers, I should have first shot. However, guys don't have to keep anyone so there will be a few picks before me.

I'm keeping Justin Jefferson and probably Aaron Jones (He'd basically be the 24th pick overall) and then I'll have the 25th.

• 1 month later...

We have 12 teams in a keeper league, with a little more complex keeper. It cost the round drafted, and they move up a round if they finish top-10 at their position and there’s two of those keepers. Then there’s one rookie keeper that stays in that round forever. I’m in the process of lobbying for the transition to a full-blown dynasty…

On that note, I’m curious of your thoughts.

I can keep two of

Chubb(2nd)

Lamb(moved up to 2nd and would cost me my 3rd if I keep Chubb as well and just go with studs)

Higgins(5th)

Pollard(7th)*Pretty much a lock that I keep him based on value alone*

I’m keeping Pacheco as my rookie I drafted in Round 12, so maybe I keep one of the WR for the sake of balance. How would you guys handle it?

@FatNate @MJAlltheWay24 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:29 PM, SnottieDrippen said:

I can keep two of

Chubb(2nd)

Lamb(moved up to 2nd and would cost me my 3rd if I keep Chubb as well and just go with studs)

Higgins(5th)

I’m keeping Pacheco as my rookie I drafted in Round 12, so maybe I keep one of the WR for the sake of balance. How would you guys handle it?

@FatNate @MJAlltheWay24 

I don’t have much keeper experience and I have not researched much yet.  I think your rookie keeper and Pollard are no brainers.  Personally, I think I would keep Higgins, due to his draft position.  I guess some of the strategy involved would be guessing what others might do and leave available to be drafted, as well as, knowing which position may be the shortest to fill based on the scoring.  I also don’t think you can go wrong keeping Chubb.  Out of the options listed, Lamb would be the player I would least want to keep.  

3 hours ago, FatNate said:

I don’t have much keeper experience and I have not researched much yet.  I think your rookie keeper and Pollard are no brainers.  Personally, I think I would keep Higgins, due to his draft position.  I guess some of the strategy involved would be guessing what others might do and leave available to be drafted, as well as, knowing which position may be the shortest to fill based on the scoring.  I also don’t think you can go wrong keeping Chubb.  Out of the options listed, Lamb would be the player I would least want to keep.  

If I can trade Lamb to the league’s resident Cowboys fanatic for another pick in the first 3 rounds, and maybe something in the mid rounds I’ll likely keep Chubb. I have pick 1.03, which means I’d be in the back end of round 2, so I’d actually be getting Chubb at a pretty good value, especially with the nature of keeper leagues taking some of the elite options off the board.

Higgins is going off boards like a top-12 WR in redraft leagues, so I’d be getting him at a good spot as well in the fifth. 

Maybe I have my logic backwards and should keep Tee if I move Lamb. Maybe I should try to move the pair of ‘Boys for a handful of good picks, or even CMC in the first.

Too much thinking for me to do it alone, so I appreciate your input. 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:29 PM, SnottieDrippen said:

I can keep two of

Chubb(2nd)

Higgins(5th)

@FatNate @MJAlltheWay24 

I think I'd keep Chubb and just be rock solid at RB, but I'm always bias towards them. Chubb at 2nd round pick seems like great value still.

If you wanted to go WR, I think I'd go Higgins at 5.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I think I'd keep Chubb and just be rock solid at RB, but I'm always bias towards them. Chubb at 2nd round pick seems like great value still.

If you wanted to go WR, I think I'd go Higgins at 5.

That’s kind of where I am I think. Especially if I can move Lamb. 

Ahhhhh, the most wonderful time of the year.  The ending of summer and the beginning of football and then basketball.   Fantasy sports, DFS and coming real soon…gambling.   Let’s get this money fellas!!!!!

I am in a few leagues but not as many as I used to be in.  I’m in a couple of free ones with co workers and my son.  My main league is a money league that is $150 to enter.  There are 12 of us.  

.5 PPR

.1 per pass completed 

.2 per rushing attempt 

QB points are not chopped 

1 point per 20 yards passed 

Bonus points for long TDs

Bonus points for 300+ and 400+ yards passing 

Bonus points for 200+ rushing/receiving yards

Yards allowed is rewarded and punished on defense

It’s high scoring and highly competitive league.  

Skins are paid out each week.  $50 for the weekly winner of the Skins category. 

Craziest year-2019

I won the league with a record of 5-8. 

I suffered the biggest blowout of the year.  242.7-134.4.  Biggest Blowout Win is a Skin category.  

My roster was injured from week 1 until about week 10.  Suddenly everyone got healthy and I went on a run to squeeze into the playoffs and ultimately win the league.  

The guy I faced in the finals was the guy who defeated me 242-7-134.4.  I got the last laugh.  That year was awesome. 

That year also highlighted that it is important to prepare and draft properly in fantasy football.  There is no way to control the injuries but I have more stories of my injured teams getting healthy and winning titles than I do of teams that dominated the regular season and then lose in the playoffs.  Very rarely will I dominate the regular season and playoffs so I always focus on making the playoffs and letting the chips fall where they may.   

Good luck this season fellas.  

And yes, I will absolutely be running my FanDuel group as always.  I still love DFS way more than regular fantasy.  

I can’t wait for us to start our gambling thread so we can tail each other on our parlays.  😂😂😂😂

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PurplePride92 said:

Ahhhhh, the most wonderful time of the year.  The ending of summer and the beginning of football and then basketball.   Fantasy sports, DFS and coming real soon…gambling.   Let’s get this money fellas!!!!!

I am in a few leagues but not as many as I used to be in.  I’m in a couple of free ones with co workers and my son.  My main league is a money league that is $150 to enter.  There are 12 of us.  

.5 PPR

.1 per pass completed 

.2 per rushing attempt 

QB points are not chopped 

1 point per 20 yards passed 

Bonus points for long TDs

Bonus points for 300+ and 400+ yards passing 

Bonus points for 200+ rushing/receiving yards

Yards allowed is rewarded and punished on defense

It’s high scoring and highly competitive league.  

Skins are paid out each week.  $50 for the weekly winner of the Skins category. 

Craziest year-2019

I won the league with a record of 5-8. 

I suffered the biggest blowout of the year.  242.7-134.4.  Biggest Blowout Win is a Skin category.  

My roster was injured from week 1 until about week 10.  Suddenly everyone got healthy and I went on a run to squeeze into the playoffs and ultimately win the league.  

The guy I faced in the finals was the guy who defeated me 242-7-134.4.  I got the last laugh.  That year was awesome. 

That year also highlighted that it is important to prepare and draft properly in fantasy football.  There is no way to control the injuries but I have more stories of my injured teams getting healthy and winning titles than I do of teams that dominated the regular season and then lose in the playoffs.  Very rarely will I dominate the regular season and playoffs so I always focus on making the playoffs and letting the chips fall where they may.   

Good luck this season fellas.  

And yes, I will absolutely be running my FanDuel group as always.  I still love DFS way more than regular fantasy.  

I can’t wait for us to start our gambling thread so we can tail each other on our parlays.  😂😂😂😂

Sounds like QB is pretty important in this league. Those scores are wild. 

For the sake of conversation, I also drafted Brian Robinson of The Football Team a round after Pacheco. What are the thoughts on Pollard in 7, Pacheco in 12, and Robinson forever at 13.

I think that leaves at least two of my other keepers in play in the first three rounds, with Lamb probably the odd man out, even though I would likely have to “reach” for Chubb at 1.03 and Tee at 2.10,