2023 Belfry Pirates

Aug 18 at Breathitt County
Aug 25 vs. George Rogers Clark (Pike County Bowl)
Sep 1 vs. Johnson Central
Sep 8 at Southwestern
Sep 15 vs. Pikeville
Sep 22 at Magoffin County (District)
Sep 19 vs. Lawrence County (District)
Oct 6 - BYE
Oct 13 at Estill County (District)
Oct 20 vs. Powell County (District)
Oct 27 at Letcher County Central

Fr6ugkLWIAIB-7x.jpg

• Thanks 1

It’s still hard to believe that Belfry and Johnson Central will no longer be playing. They’ve played each other for the past 20 years. The first three years were scrimmages and the last 17 during the final week of the regular season. 

16 minutes ago, Czar said:

It’s still hard to believe that Belfry and Johnson Central will no longer be playing. They’ve played each other for the past 20 years. The first three years were scrimmages and the last 17 during the final week of the regular season. 

Why aren't they playing?

26 minutes ago, theguru said:

Why aren't they playing?

The head coach and athletic director at Johnson Central was informed by Coach Haywood that they no longer wanted to play the game on week 11 because of the risk of injuries going into the playoffs. Coach Matney had tried to get the game moved to a earlier week for years but Belfry refused. They also said that the series was no longer competitive for them and they were looking to schedule someone else but that they still may play the game on week 3.

After the conversation between the two head coaches, one of Belfry’s assistants posted on the list serve that they were looking for a week 3 game. So in a span of maybe 45 minutes, they went from possibly playing week 3 to Belfry looking for another opponent. So instead of Belfry hosting Johnson Central on week 3 in 2023 they’re traveling 3 hours away to Southwestern. The crowds during the Belfry and JC games were always massive and for many years it was the prime game in Eastern Kentucky. 

The two teams are playing in 2024 as a part of the Pike County Bowl. Before someone states that’s the reason why they aren’t playing this year, I want to add that JC and Pikeville agreed to play each other almost a month after Belfry dropped JC from their schedule. The Pike County Bowl had nothing to do with the decision to drop JC. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2023 at 12:16 AM, Czar said:

The head coach and athletic director at Johnson Central was informed by Coach Haywood that they no longer wanted to play the game on week 11 because of the risk of injuries going into the playoffs. Coach Matney had tried to get the game moved to a earlier week for years but Belfry refused. They also said that the series was no longer competitive for them and they were looking to schedule someone else but that they still may play the game on week 3.

After the conversation between the two head coaches, one of Belfry’s assistants posted on the list serve that they were looking for a week 3 game. So in a span of maybe 45 minutes, they went from possibly playing week 3 to Belfry looking for another opponent. So instead of Belfry hosting Johnson Central on week 3 in 2023 they’re traveling 3 hours away to Southwestern. The crowds during the Belfry and JC games were always massive and for many years it was the prime game in Eastern Kentucky. 

The two teams are playing in 2024 as a part of the Pike County Bowl. Before someone states that’s the reason why they aren’t playing this year, I want to add that JC and Pikeville agreed to play each other almost a month after Belfry dropped JC from their schedule. The Pike County Bowl had nothing to do with the decision to drop JC. 

It appears that Belfry has significantly scaled their schedule back in general. I present different thoughts/excuses/reasons/pontifications/blah blah blah...😉

The Rose Colored Glasses Response-

Belfry has been a prime case study on the negative side effects of the RPI. A small school program that has had to search far and wide and in most cases playing up or across state lines to find teams who will either play them or posses a challenge. Belfry has been penalized for playing a difficult schedule and quality losses to the point it has resulted in a handicap of spending a lot of time on the road in the playoffs travelling to teams who have benefitted from beating weaker teams. Belfry has also seen their historic rival Pikeville elevate their program and what was once a game Belfry was the clear favorite for decades, has since become a toss-up at best and most likely a game Belfry is expected to lose.

As such, Belfry probably sees the need to play for the RPI points and to maximize the efficiency of their schedule to make it as competitive as possible, while still offering more opportunities to get victories since the RPI greatly favors winning weak over losing strong. Johnson Central was a casualty of this schedule conundrum.

The Silver Lining Response-

(Insert the Same RPI Discussion 1st Paragraph Above)

In addition to this, Belfry has not been the same team just four or five years ago. The talent pool took a large lull predicated on a number of factors. Sure... Belfry won a title in 2021, but it was a bit of fool's gold. Isaac Dixon carried that team to glory, they also had a favorable path open up in a down Class 3A. That was a 4-6 team entering the playoffs who took it on the chin multiple times and they faced another team who went 4-6 in the  regular season in Tilghman. This lull in talent came to a head with a very disappointing 2022 where Belfry failed to win the District for the first time in recent memory and took a massive beatdown to Ashland in the 2nd Round.

Things are looking bright for the long term future of Belfry as they have a ton of young talent in the Freshman and Sophomore ranks, but the Pirates are still probably a couple years from being a serious title threat once more in 3A, but the painful truth is right now Belfry is simply not swimming in the same depths of a powerhouse large school like Johnson Central. As fun as those games have been, what made them fun was the fact it was two Top 15 overall programs in the State of Kentucky regardless of class dueling it out most years. Right now Belfry is simply not competitive enough to see benefits facing Johnson Central and they are also simply not physically mature enough with such a young roster that the risk for costly injury to players vital to playoff success is a juice not worth the squeeze.

The Realist Response

Ignore the RPI, ignore the getting hurt, ignore the reasoning all together. This is pretty bad form. Belfry has complained for a decade plus that no one wants to play them. Belfry has gloated about how Ashland forfeited a Middle School Playoff game because they feared physical injury. Belfry has crowed to the roof top how playing one of the hardest schedules pound for pound in the State prepares them for the playoffs and November wins matter more than September and October wins.

You can't beat your chest on these things and then turn around and give up a local rivalry with a program from the same athletic region, that has been an ally and intertwined with your program at the feeder level up for the better part of two decades. You can't cite injuries. If you plan to schedule down for the RPI you have to do it in the Non-District games of teams not called Pikeville & Johnson Central. On top of that, you can't fill the game you were playing Johnson Central with a team from their District and you can't fill the week Johnson Central suggested with a team from a class higher if these are the reasons you are giving.

As for the cherry on the top... Johnson Central was your kindred spirit. They knew the pain of having to drive 2.5 hours plus for non-district games, facing the top big school programs in WV, and begging people to play on their home field just to fill a 10 game schedule. By dropping this game you just made their life harder as well when you know how difficult of a hole that is to fill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ATLCat said:

I wasted a lot of time typing that just to realize Belfry is playing JC and not in the Pike County Bowl LOL

Your points are still valid regarding the recent dip in talent and the RPI factor. 

19 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Your points are still valid regarding the recent dip in talent and the RPI factor. 

The RPI aspect is real, IMHO.

Let's take Pikeville and JC aside. I think Southwestern replacing Pulaski is the truest sense of a wash.

Trade LCA for Breathitt. Breathitt is a respectable program, but that is definitely a step down from a Top 10-15 overall team in KY to team probably in the Top 40-50 range and you go from underdog to slight favorite.

Trade Louisville Central for Letcher Central. Considerable step down but you still get a chance to "play up" against a team who should have 6 or 7 wins. Belfry beating Central was a pretty big upset last year. Once again you go from underdog to favorite.

Pike County Bowl is trickier due to the two way agreements... GRC is probably an upgrade over Bourbon County but a step down from the last three teams they have seen in this game. CovCath, LCA, & Huntington(WV). 

2015/2016 Belfry is probably 9-1 or most likely 10-0 against this schedule.

2021/2022 Belfry is probably 5-5 or 6-4 against this schedule.

I think 7-3 is a good prediction for 2023. That gives them two more quality RPI wins over last season and three more than 2021. Does that get them a top 1 or 2 seed in the Semi-State? Probably not.. but it probably gets them to a 3-seed or 2-seed in the Semi-State if they can win the District and advance to Round 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 12:16 AM, Czar said:

The reality is, Belfry is not the same level as the teams from 4-5 years ago and it is understandable why they may be looking for something else.  That is not easy to admit, but I get it.  

Ultimately as a fan I am glad they filled that week 3 spot with JC, but I am not sure it helps them much. 

And for the record, Southwestern was always week 4, even when they were looking for another week 3 opponent.  Belfry had week 3 and week 8 open and were looking for a game for either week.  I don't know how much interest they received but it sounds like from your post they told JC they were looking for another opponent, but still might play JC week 3.  And that is where they ended up.  Maybe I am misreading your intent, but I don't see the contradiction there that you seem to be suggesting.  

On 1/25/2023 at 5:18 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Looks like @TylerDurden is saying Mingo Central in West Virginia. I've heard the same. Coach Jones is originally from Mingo County.

That will be interesting seeing a former Belfry Pirate taking over at Mingo Central. I definitely think that will have some impact on things at Belfry. I don't think Belfry is going to "fall," per se, but it will have some impact.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:44 AM, Westernside said:

I'm guessing Belfry gets alot of transfer out of state kids from Mingo County?

As I postulated in the Bourbon County open job thread after David Jones resigned to accept the head coaching job at Mingo Central (where he grew up), Coach Jones' hiring is going to have at least a bit of an impact on the Belfry Pirates.

The Darryl & David Sports Network is reporting today that Belfry WR/FS Aiden Burke ('26) has left Belfry to "go back home" to Mingo Central.

Burke was a varsity starter for the Pirates last year as a freshman, leading the team in pass receptions and wide receiving yards. On defense he was 9th in tackling, but led the team in interceptions and fumble recoveries.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...