2023 Boys' Sweet 16® Bracket

1 hour ago, DragonFire said:

That game was a six point game at the half. Central has had a habit of doing things like that - sort of feeling teams out in the first half and hammering in the second, but Owensboro certainly proved they could play with them for a spell. 

I know Warren Central was short that game too, but Owensboro has looked like a completely different team since Webb started logging major minutes.  It has taken so much pressure off their guards and helped them get in transition more often.  That said, it's been so long since this region has won a state game, I refuse to look past Ashland but I would love to see that quarterfinal match-up.

What player vs player matchup is everyone looking forward to? I’m looking forward to seeing Morton vs Sheppard in the GRC vs North Laurel game. Morton won last year tourney MVP but hasn’t really gotten much love this year maybe because he’s a 5th year senior but this is a matchup where he can definitely build his name and resume. And we all know the hype behind Reed lol. 

24 minutes ago, Wildcat1993 said:

What player vs player matchup is everyone looking forward to? I’m looking forward to seeing Morton vs Sheppard in the GRC vs North Laurel game. Morton won last year tourney MVP but hasn’t really gotten much love this year maybe because he’s a 5th year senior but this is a matchup where he can definitely build his name and resume. And we all know the hype behind Reed lol. 

I don't really see them going head to head, but if they do Morton will not help his resume.

15 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

I don't really see them going head to head, but if they do Morton will not help his resume.

I'm with you.  I would say Sam Parrish from GRC would be primary defender.  He is a sleeper not many talk about.  Stud.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 7:06 AM, PurplePride92 said:

KHSAA really dropped the ball not having Lyon County playing at 6:00pm instead of at 1:30.

That’s wack.

I think I get it though. Definitely wanted that 10th vs. 13th Region game at night. You expected that to be Clark/Mason vs. one of the Laurels (especially North) so you'll get a huge crowd. They put the 11th Region game at night as well, which they always do.

Bottom line, there were three good games to fit into two spots and the risk was less with the two they chose.

35 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I think I get it though. Definitely wanted that 10th vs. 13th Region game at night. You expected that to be Clark/Mason vs. one of the Laurels (especially North) so you'll get a huge crowd. They put the 11th Region game at night as well, which they always do.

Bottom line, there were three good games to fit into two spots and the risk was less with the two they chose.

I hear you but there are 4 spots they could have gotten that game in with.  I said 6pm but even at 8:00pm I would have come to watch Travis.   I’m not going at 1:30.   

1 hour ago, LethalPG said:

I'm with you.  I would say Sam Parrish from GRC would be primary defender.  He is a sleeper not many talk about.  Stud.

absolutely. His length allows him to get into passing lanes pretty easily. He's so quick!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurplePride92 said:

I hear you but there are 4 spots they could have gotten that game in with.  I said 6pm but even at 8:00pm I would have come to watch Travis.   I’m not going at 1:30.   

Moving forward, though, if it ends up Lyon County vs. North Laurel in the second round on Friday night at 8:30, that crowd could be one of the biggest in recent years.

*Of course Newport and George Rogers Clark will have a ton to say about that. I actually believe both Lyon/Newport and North Laurel/GRC will be among the best first round matchups. Great games all over the place next week.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Moving forward, though, if it ends up Lyon County vs. North Laurel in the second round on Friday night at 8:30, that crowd could be one of the biggest in recent years.

*Of course Newport and George Rogers Clark will have a ton to say about that. I actually believe both Lyon/Newport and North Laurel/GRC will be among the best first round matchups. Great games all over the place next week.

Agreed.  I wish I could attend the early games.  May make the championship.  

Friday should be outstanding.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't pay as close attention to the details of the Sweet 16 as I used to. When did the KHSAA start scheduling the game times after the teams are set in the brackets?

They've been doing it for close to a decade I would say.

They don't set it by teams, rather by regions. Typically when the draw is made, game times are announced the next day. Regions close to Lexington (10th, 11th, 12th, sometimes 8th) usually play the evening games because they are close by. Regions farther away, especially in western Kentucky, tend to play earlier in the day. First round games involving the 6th and 7th region are almost always played during the day because kids from those schools can get an excused absence, even though the school doesn't close.

Game times revert to normal bracket format in the quarterfinals, semifinals, and championship. I think opinion on the opportunistic time slots has been mixed over the years.

• Thanks 1