Russell 63 Ashland 54

They did, everytime the assistant principal (I believe) heard something vulgar he went over and made them stop.

I think your post reveals the crux of the problem. If this "assistant principal" is in a position of authority, is known by the students of his/her school, and has any respect or credibility, why did he/she not get any results from his first trip to shut up his/her students? Why were repeated admonitions necessary? And, since he/she obviously, being an assistant principal and all, knew at least some of these students (we are in the second half of the school year), will he/she carry through with some disciplinary measures when school reconvenes?

Also, UKCATSFAN, my "eyewitness radio" comments were meant to be humorous and to illustrate that we all see games from our own biased viewpoint. On one side of the floor, it is clearly a charge. On the other side, it is a block.

Finally, shooterx3 makes a valid point about the event that nearly changed the outcome. He suggests that it was a good move but, I'm sure in truth, he knows it was a cheap shot that, as with many cheap shots, worked for the perpetrator.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Bonner made the play of the game and almost gave his team a chance to win it, with his team trailing by 4 with around 2 minutes to go, he grabs Ross Turners jersey/pinches/punches or something to that effect but he got Ross to swing an elbow to get him off of him, when Ross does, he flops and gets the young ref (who shouldnt have been calling the game, he was way over his head, but that is another story) to call a technical. Wilcox goes to the line, makes two, and Ashland had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead. Now that I think of it, why didnt he call a foul and a technical if

he saw what he saw? Giving Ashland 4 free throws? Anyhow, the 2nd best play of the game was Russell stopping Ashland and Scott Gill running the floor

for a Layup to put Russell back up by 4 and end any real chance Ashland had of winning. Kudos to Bonner, only a sophomore, for coming up with a play to give his team a chance, the young ref seemed to make most of the calls tonight, and several were "questionable", including calling a very nice spin move a walk, looks like he just "anticpated" the walk, but it cost Russell a basket and it appeared the other ref was about to call a foul on the play.

Just wondering how he got scheduled in a game like this? Did he arrive too late for the JV game?:laugh:

The other two refs called a good game, but this guy almost made a huge difference, and I believe he was the one calling all the fouls on Scott Gill and keeping him on the bench.

^^ Example A of a Russell fan always crying about officiating!:rolleyes: I watched this game and there were questionable calls both ways. Imo all complaining about officiating does is give your kiods an "out: or "excuses" so to speak for mistakes that they have made that if not a bad call wouldn't had mattered. Maybe you should take a box of tissues to the next one.:D

As for Russell being the favorite in the 16th, I still believe that they are but not as much as I thought at the first of the season. A poster earlier listed some teams that are right there with them and could win it. Russell is good, but they are very beatable.

I agree that the worst thing a coach, parent, or any other adult authority figure can do in front of a player is blame a loss on a ref. Yes, there are definitely good and bad refs and sometimes even good refs have bad games. But in my experiences, the final score is usually the direct result of how well or how bad a team plays. When the kids begin focusing more on the refs than the game itself, that is when they begin to make mistakes. The good players and coaches will adjust to the call made. Also, it should never be a surprise when the home team gets the nod in terms of favorable calls - it is usually expected. This is why most people believe that a team has to be 10 points better when playing away.

I love sports for the competition but also about the life lessons it teaches. Life, like sports, is not always fair. The sooner high school kids understand this, accept it, and work harder to overcome these obstacles is when they are truly ready for success in the real word. Bottom line - play the game, quit making excuses, and good things will eventually happen.

Ryan Bonner made the play of the game and almost gave his team a chance to win it, with his team trailing by 4 with around 2 minutes to go, he grabs Ross Turners jersey/pinches/punches or something to that effect but he got Ross to swing an elbow to get him off of him, when Ross does, he flops and gets the young ref (who shouldnt have been calling the game, he was way over his head, but that is another story) to call a technical. Wilcox goes to the line, makes two, and Ashland had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead. Now that I think of it, why didnt he call a foul and a technical if

he saw what he saw? Giving Ashland 4 free throws? Anyhow, the 2nd best play of the game was Russell stopping Ashland and Scott Gill running the floor

for a Layup to put Russell back up by 4 and end any real chance Ashland had of winning. Kudos to Bonner, only a sophomore, for coming up with a play to give his team a chance, the young ref seemed to make most of the calls tonight, and several were "questionable", including calling a very nice spin move a walk, looks like he just "anticpated" the walk, but it cost Russell a basket and it appeared the other ref was about to call a foul on the play.

Just wondering how he got scheduled in a game like this? Did he arrive too late for the JV game?:laugh:

The other two refs called a good game, but this guy almost made a huge difference, and I believe he was the one calling all the fouls on Scott Gill and keeping him on the bench.

What Bonner did last night reminded me of the district game a few years ago when Casey Clark did that and worse to Zach Gillum. I said it then and I say it now that is a cheap way to win or try to win. Play the game by the rules. This does'nt include head butting, chesting, pinching or throwing elbows to try to get someone frustrated enough to lose their cool. Most high school kids are gona lose it when that happens. Its not much fun when the ref's look the other way when this stuff goes on. :irked:

I agree that the worst thing a coach, parent, or any other adult authority figure can do in front of a player is blame a loss on a ref. Yes, there are definitely good and bad refs and sometimes even good refs have bad games. But in my experiences, the final score is usually the direct result of how well or how bad a team plays. When the kids begin focusing more on the refs than the game itself, that is when they begin to make mistakes. The good players and coaches will adjust to the call made. Also, it should never be a surprise when the home team gets the nod in terms of favorable calls - it is usually expected. This is why most people believe that a team has to be 10 points better when playing away.

I love sports for the competition but also about the life lessons it teaches. Life, like sports, is not always fair. The sooner high school kids understand this, accept it, and work harder to overcome these obstacles is when they are truly ready for success in the real word. Bottom line - play the game, quit making excuses, and good things will eventually happen.

Great Post.:thumb:

I've been watching 16th Region games for many years. I can live with any of the Refs that I've seen up to this point, even though they call too many touch fouls and they are way to big a part of the game for my taste. The one guy that needs to go or get more training or something, is the young guy that called this game. While it's true he was consistently bad for both teams, his "phantom calls" became the focal point of this game and that should never be. I saw the TV version of this game and he was an embarrassment. I'm sure he's a fine young man and I'd like to say he just had a bad game, but this is consistent with other games I've seen him Ref.

He he owes Gill (played 8 minutes), Turner (phantom tech), and McDavid (fouled all night) an apology and I hope I see him at the Freshman games getting a tune-up.

Sounds like this was another classic Russell game. I believe they were up as much as 16 during the first half and let Ashland eventually cut it down to two points. This Russell team is very atheletic, a very good team. The one thing that is keeping them from being a great team is they cant close out games. Thats something they will need to learn in the next few weeks.

Anyone else get a kick out of listening to Dicky on the radio ? Has to be the most negative radio guy of all times. Ive never heard anything like it. I dont know how the Ashland fans put up with that guy. He's one heck of a play by play man though.

Nice win for Russell, way to battle back tomcats. Ashland will get another shot at the Red Devils, the score might be the same the next time but the other team might win it.

I think Coach Biggs has a good knowledge for the game. What I dont like is the freedom the players have on offense. I know Matt Thomas is the type of player that can create a good shot and alot of offense on his own. This would create for the rest of his teammates. Ashland has trouble scoring. Your not gona beat to many people scoring in the 50's. I believe also they have the wrong people shooting the ball too much and the right people not shooting enough. Matt thomas should ave. 12 to 15 shots a game and Mcdavid should also get 10 to 12 shots a game. the other players have to know their roles on offense. I however was impressed with Russell's zone it is very long and quick. Tough for anyone to get a good shot off. Ashland did get some good looks when they went inside out. Vanhoose is a great shooter. The walk that was called on Jon was not even close. Russell does tend to reach alot which turns into alot fouls. One thing I did notice and Scooter your gona like this. The top 5 scorers in the game was former Rose Hiller's Robinson,Vanhoose,Blair,Thomas,Mcdavid. I saw Vanhoose hit a big three and turn to the Ashland Crowd and go:sssh: :sssh: :sssh: :sssh: :D

I think Coach Biggs has a good knowledge for the game. What I dont like is the freedom the players have on offense.

I like the players having some freedom on offense. The previous coach would tell kids they're not allowed to shoot the ball, until he gave them to green light to do so. Most kids don't like to play in that style of offense.

:thumb: I agree with both of these statements, after watching the game on the t.v. replay last night imo Ashland did make a lot of mental mistakes and it seemed and if they hit their FT's - that would had been an entirely different game. As for the 16th weak this year, I am obviously a 16th region fan but I will say that compared to the rest of the state (for the most part) the 16th is weak every year, just not very good in comparison to most. JMO

Another question - Why do the Russell fans always complain about officiating? That is one thing that can be counted on.:D

Actually Ashland hit their free throws better than Russell. Ashland 15-22 68.2%. Russell 16-24 66.7%. Your statement doesn't hold water.

Another thing that can be counted on is poor officiating in the 16th region. It worked against both teams last night. You could get away with a push on one play and get called for breathing wrong on the next. There was no consistancy to the way they called the game. If thats whining so be it.