Russell 63 Ashland 54

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fifteen, I believe. Excellent win for Russell. I only heard the first five minutes of the game while driving to the Rose Hill game. Russell was ahead 10-6 but I was appalled at the number of fouls committed by Russell but ignored by the referees. Also, on at least three occasions, Russell was caught by the five second count and the referees did nothing. I had to quit listening to the radio after that but, if the game continued in this manner, it is no wonder Russell won.;)

How could you know Russell was guilty of these things if you were listening to it on the radio?

Russell is a good team, but mistakes hurt them in keeping the lead. But on the other hand, Ashland did a lot to beat themselves. They missed several FT's in the second period that could have cut the lead into single digits. Didn't look like the Tomcats played their best ball. They could have won the game if they had shot better, but Russell is a better team though.

Russell can be beat though. It is just that the 16th is weak this year.

As for the fans, I didn't personally hear anything bad, but the crowd on both sides were very rowdy, both kids and adults. But this should be expected at a game such as this. Not that it is right, but it is nothing new.

I don't think the 16th is weak at all this year. There are a handful of teams who could make the trip to Rupp and compete when they got there. It's a strong year for the 16th region as a whole this year. Russell, Ashland, Boyd, Rose Hill, Elliott could all likely win the regional tourney. There may be favorites but there is no team that is heads and tails above the rest of the field, at least not as of right now. I think it's an up year for 16th region basketball, stronger than it's been in recent past.

I cant believe that someone from the Ashland administration didnt step in and ge the kids under control. I mean the everyone over on Blazer BLVD are so quick to point out that fair play and following the rules are a big part of athletics.

I guess there are different rules for different groups.

By the way has anyone have any info on old Joe? And does everyone still want a piece of him.

They did. Everytime they could hear it.

I cant believe that someone from the Ashland administration didnt step in and ge the kids under control. I mean the everyone over on Blazer BLVD are so quick to point out that fair play and following the rules are a big part of athletics.

I guess there are different rules for different groups.

By the way has anyone have any info on old Joe? And does everyone still want a piece of him.

Are you still stuck in the year 2001?

Russell pulled this one out but these 2 teams are about even if you ask me. If they played 10 times, each team would win 5. Russell was stronger tonight but who knows what will happen when the Devils make the trip to Anderson. Unless one team makes a dive downward or improves dramatically, I look for that one to be a toss up as well. It would be one heck of a game if they meet in the regional tourney.

Russell pulled this one out but these 2 teams are about even if you ask me. If they played 10 times, each team would win 5. Russell was stronger tonight but who knows what will happen when the Devils make the trip to Anderson. Unless one team makes a dive downward or improves dramatically, I look for that one to be a toss up as well. It would be one heck of a game if they meet in the regional tourney.

I gotta disagree with you on this one. Russell is more athletic with a deeper bench. 7-3 is more like it.

As for the assistant principle stopping it. Yeah they warned them about 6 or 7 times. At some point a few of them should have been shown the exit.

Ryan Bonner made the play of the game and almost gave his team a chance to win it, with his team trailing by 4 with around 2 minutes to go, he grabs Ross Turners jersey/pinches/punches or something to that effect but he got Ross to swing an elbow to get him off of him, when Ross does, he flops and gets the young ref (who shouldnt have been calling the game, he was way over his head, but that is another story) to call a technical. Wilcox goes to the line, makes two, and Ashland had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead. Now that I think of it, why didnt he call a foul and a technical if

he saw what he saw? Giving Ashland 4 free throws? Anyhow, the 2nd best play of the game was Russell stopping Ashland and Scott Gill running the floor

for a Layup to put Russell back up by 4 and end any real chance Ashland had of winning. Kudos to Bonner, only a sophomore, for coming up with a play to give his team a chance, the young ref seemed to make most of the calls tonight, and several were "questionable", including calling a very nice spin move a walk, looks like he just "anticpated" the walk, but it cost Russell a basket and it appeared the other ref was about to call a foul on the play.

Just wondering how he got scheduled in a game like this? Did he arrive too late for the JV game?:laugh:

The other two refs called a good game, but this guy almost made a huge difference, and I believe he was the one calling all the fouls on Scott Gill and keeping him on the bench.

Russell is a good team, but mistakes hurt them in keeping the lead. But on the other hand, Ashland did a lot to beat themselves. They missed several FT's in the second period that could have cut the lead into single digits. Didn't look like the Tomcats played their best ball. They could have won the game if they had shot better, but Russell is a better team though.

Russell can be beat though. It is just that the 16th is weak this year.

:thumb: I agree with both of these statements, after watching the game on the t.v. replay last night imo Ashland did make a lot of mental mistakes and it seemed and if they hit their FT's - that would had been an entirely different game. As for the 16th weak this year, I am obviously a 16th region fan but I will say that compared to the rest of the state (for the most part) the 16th is weak every year, just not very good in comparison to most. JMO

Another question - Why do the Russell fans always complain about officiating? That is one thing that can be counted on.:D

1. Russell

2. Rose Hill, Boyd Co., Greenup Co., Elliott Co., Ashland

All the #2's are close to Russell. There's just not a HUGE disparity between any of these clubs. Any given night, at any given gym, any of these teams could win.

=The question then has to be: Who will step up? Who is going to be willing to challenge Russell? Which of these teams will peak at the exactly right time to be able and accomplish this? Or, will any of them.

=That is 16th Region Basketball