Russell 63 Ashland 54

Worst ever display by a student section I have ever seen. Personal attacks on cheerleaders even! Pitiful! Just pitiful! Disrespectful during national anthem. I was really disappointed. I realize Ashland and Russell are a rival, but the things that were chanted by Ashland' s student section at individuals was horrible.

Great win DEVILS.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst ever display by a student section I have ever seen. Personal attacks on cheerleaders even! Pitiful! Just pitiful! Disrespectful during national anthem. I was really disappointed. I realize Ashland and Russell are a rival, but the things that were chanted by Ashland' s student section at individuals was horrible.

Great win DEVILS.

That's not very nice. What did the cheerleaders do to hurt anyone?

See post 13 above. I am reporting what I heard on the radio during the first five minutes of the game. I realize that my report is heresay but I heard it from an eyewitness.

See post 19 again. I edited after I saw yours. There is another eyewitness account for you.

Great win DEVILS.

Kids will be kids but it is the adults that should have stopped it. They were standing right there.

That's not very nice. What did the cheerleaders do to hurt anyone?

It was one particular male cheerleader. A very nice boy who never says anything to anyone he was mortified, his parents were sitting close to us, I felt so horrible for them. Also they were chanting Russell sucks at football, LOL. An Ashland fan ???? standing by the wall kept getting after them, but no one stopped them when they were chanting at our cheerleaders.

Kids will be kids but it is the adults that should have stopped it. They were standing right there.

I totally agree, kids will be kids, but I have to tell you, mine EVER acted that way he wouldnt see daylight until he's 50.

It was uncalled for.

See post 19 again. I edited after I saw yours. There is another eyewitness account for you.

Excellent point, FBALL. I did, in fact, listen to 97.1 FM. As for the other issue, the radio broadcaster did mention that there were some "football cheers" being made although he say who was doing it. Since Russell reached the state championship game and Ashland lost along the way, I figured that the Russell people were doint the cheers. It sounds like I reached the wrong conclusion and that, actually, the "chants" were neither cheers nor appropriate. Stuff like that reflects poorly upon a school community. Too bad. But, in the end, the final score is what gives bragging rights.

It was one particular male cheerleader. A very nice boy who never says anything to anyone he was mortified, his parents were sitting close to us, I felt so horrible for them. Also they were chanting Russell sucks at football, LOL. An Ashland fan ???? standing by the wall kept getting after them, but no one stopped them when they were chanting at our cheerleaders.

Male cheerleaders in high school always seem to get laughed at and ridiculed. I watched the Morehead State Cheerleading showcase last weekend where several national championship teams at the high school and college level performed and I'll tell you what - those guys are athletes. They can laugh all they want, but they probably wouldn't want to start a fight with a male cheerleader!

Male cheerleaders in high school always seem to get laughed at and ridiculed. I watched the Morehead State Cheerleading showcase last weekend where several national championship teams at the high school and college level performed and I'll tell you what - those guys are athletes. They can laugh all they want, but they probably wouldn't want to start a fight with a male cheerleader!

This kid would not be in a fight. He is very slight built but probably the best tumbler in the area. Boy or girl.

He appeared to handle it well though. During a timeout he did about 16 flips and handsprings across the floor and finished it off with a bow to the the ones that were heckling him. I thought it was pretty funny.

Russell is a good team, but mistakes hurt them in keeping the lead. But on the other hand, Ashland did a lot to beat themselves. They missed several FT's in the second period that could have cut the lead into single digits. Didn't look like the Tomcats played their best ball. They could have won the game if they had shot better, but Russell is a better team though.

Russell can be beat though. It is just that the 16th is weak this year.

As for the fans, I didn't personally hear anything bad, but the crowd on both sides were very rowdy, both kids and adults. But this should be expected at a game such as this. Not that it is right, but it is nothing new.

Russell is a good team, but mistakes hurt them in keeping the lead. But on the other hand, Ashland did a lot to beat themselves. They missed several FT's in the second period that could have cut the lead into single digits. Didn't look like the Tomcats played their best ball. They could have won the game if they had shot better, but Russell is a better team though.

As for the fans, I didn't personally hear anything bad, but the crowd on both sides were very rowdy, both kids and adults. But this should be expected at a game such as this. Not that it is right, but it is nothing new.

I think the 16th is a little stronger than usual this year.

If you didn't hear anything bad you had ear plugs in. The chants toward the male cheerleader. The personal insults chanted toward Robinson. There was quite a bit of it in bad taste.

I think the 16th is a little stronger than usual this year.

I'd take any of the dominant teams from the past 5 years and put them up against any team in the 16th this year. In my opinion that makes the 16th down. If you are defining "stronger" some other way, then you may be right. But there is no single team this year that is better than some of the teams of the past few years.