Russell 63 Ashland 54

If you didn't hear anything bad you had ear plugs in. The chants toward the male cheerleader. The personal insults chanted toward Robinson. There was quite a bit of it in bad taste.

Don't doubt your word, I just didn't hear it. I was on the Russell side, but didn't hear it. I could have been talking or something. Anyway, it is unfortunate but not uncommon anymore. You'll unfortunately hear it most other places too.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell is a good team, but mistakes hurt them in keeping the lead. But on the other hand, Ashland did a lot to beat themselves. They missed several FT's in the second period that could have cut the lead into single digits. Didn't look like the Tomcats played their best ball. They could have won the game if they had shot better, but Russell is a better team though.

Russell can be beat though. It is just that the 16th is weak this year.

As for the fans, I didn't personally hear anything bad, but the crowd on both sides were very rowdy, both kids and adults. But this should be expected at a game such as this. Not that it is right, but it is nothing new.

No, No, this was new, I have been going to ballgames a long time and tonight was a new one for me. I was so shocked when they said what they did I couldn't believe it. I kept looking around trying to see if someone, anyone was going to stop it. Then the insults at Austin, crazy. The football comment was pretty funny, especially considering I really didn't see any Ashland jerseys on the field at last years state championship game or this years for that matter. Regardless it was uncalled for. I am a big yourh supporter, no matter what school, and I was disappointed, especially in some kids I knew.

Worst ever display by a student section I have ever seen. Personal attacks on cheerleaders even! Pitiful! Just pitiful! Disrespectful during national anthem. I was really disappointed. I realize Ashland and Russell are a rival, but the things that were chanted by Ashland' s student section at individuals was horrible.

Great win DEVILS.

Kids will be kids.. Im sure there have been worse things said.

No, No, this was new, I have been going to ballgames a long time and tonight was a new one for me. I was so shocked when they said what they did I couldn't believe it. I kept looking around trying to see if someone, anyone was going to stop it. Then the insults at Austin, crazy. The football comment was pretty funny, especially considering I really didn't see any Ashland jerseys on the field at last years state championship game or this years for that matter. Regardless it was uncalled for. I am a big yourh supporter, no matter what school, and I was disappointed, especially in some kids I knew.

If it was that bad, then it is most unfortunate. But unless the school personnel do something about it I don't look for it to get any better. Kids will always push as far as they are allowed!! The school personnel must start dealing with these sort of things or it will continue. And unfortunately a lot of adults are just as bad! I've personally heard very bad profanity shouted out by adults right in front of small children. What sort of example does that set?

Not to get off subject, but I think that is the BIG problem with our society today. If you work in the schools you know what I mean. Kids push a little and we say oh, it's ok, they are kids and kids will be kids, then they push a little further, and we dismiss it. It is wrong. Teachers call parents about their kids failing, or making fun of kids and parents dismiss it, hmm, kids will be kids. Sorry, but I wish a better society and I expect more out of MY kids. Sorry, I will step off of my soapbox now, but as a parent, as a Christian I hope for more.

Not to get off subject, but I think that is the BIG problem with our society today. If you work in the schools you know what I mean. Kids push a little and we say oh, it's ok, they are kids and kids will be kids, then they push a little further, and we dismiss it. It is wrong. Teachers call parents about their kids failing, or making fun of kids and parents dismiss it, hmm, kids will be kids. Sorry, but I wish a better society and I expect more out of MY kids. Sorry, I will step off of my soapbox now, but as a parent, as a Christian I hope for more.

Would be nice, but it seems that we are headed in the opposite direction! 20 years ago, this sort of thing would not have been tolerated and the same with half of what goes on in the schools!

But lets get back on to the topic of the game!

Kids will be kids. But what was being said was bad. And the fact that the Ashland administration was standing right beside them and never really did anything to stop it.

I cant believe that someone from the Ashland administration didnt step in and ge the kids under control. I mean the everyone over on Blazer BLVD are so quick to point out that fair play and following the rules are a big part of athletics.

I guess there are different rules for different groups.

By the way has anyone have any info on old Joe? And does everyone still want a piece of him.

Russell is a good team, but mistakes hurt them in keeping the lead. But on the other hand, Ashland did a lot to beat themselves. They missed several FT's in the second period that could have cut the lead into single digits. Didn't look like the Tomcats played their best ball. They could have won the game if they had shot better, but Russell is a better team though.

Russell can be beat though. It is just that the 16th is weak this year.

As for the fans, I didn't personally hear anything bad, but the crowd on both sides were very rowdy, both kids and adults. But this should be expected at a game such as this. Not that it is right, but it is nothing new.

Ashland also got back into the game from the freethrow stripe. I believe the were 10 for 10 in the fourth quarter.

Kids will be kids. But what was being said was bad. And the fact that the Ashland administration was standing right beside them and never really did anything to stop it.

I understand what your saying. But I've been hearing these things for 10+ years now at local rivalry games. At least they're not out in the parking lots fighting each other like they always seemed to be 6-7 years ago.

I understand what your saying. But I've been hearing these things for 10+ years now at local rivalry games. At least they're not out in the parking lots fighting each other like they always seemed to be 6-7 years ago.

You should have been sitting on the other side where you could see all of this then. It was pretty bad.

I wasn't there at all tonight. But every year it seems someone gets offended at one of these rivalry games, it's always the worst thing they've ever heard, etc.. Im not sure if it gets worse every year, or if every year it gets made out to be worse than it really is. But I can't imagine anything the Ashland student section said to this cheerleader or whomever, is any worse than some of the things I heard/saw when I was in school. I remember an entire row of students turning around and dropping their pants at the other student section during a game(I edited the school's names out). No one that mattered seemed to see it happen. Kids will be kids!

EDIT: But like Scripe suggested, lets get back to the game.

The posts on the game action are informative. However, this post by JFLDAD tells more of true importance than anything else to date. His observations shouldn't be so summarily dismissed by those trying to defend those at fault because that attitude is much of the problem.

I watched the replay on television and conclude that Ashland had no reason to complain about the officiating. The better team won.