Russell 63 Ashland 54

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like this was another classic Russell game. I believe they were up as much as 16 during the first half and let Ashland eventually cut it down to two points. This Russell team is very atheletic, a very good team. The one thing that is keeping them from being a great team is they cant close out games. Thats something they will need to learn in the next few weeks.

Anyone else get a kick out of listening to Dicky on the radio ? Has to be the most negative radio guy of all times. Ive never heard anything like it. I dont know how the Ashland fans put up with that guy. He's one heck of a play by play man though.

Nice win for Russell, way to battle back tomcats. Ashland will get another shot at the Red Devils, the score might be the same the next time but the other team might win it.

They were up by 10 to 15 for most of the game. They were up 15 with about 7:00 to go in the 4th when they tried to take the air out of the ball instead of attacking the pressure.

What Bonner did last night reminded me of the district game a few years ago when Casey Clark did that and worse to Zach Gillum. I said it then and I say it now that is a cheap way to win or try to win. Play the game by the rules. This does'nt include head butting, chesting, pinching or throwing elbows to try to get someone frustrated enough to lose their cool. Most high school kids are gona lose it when that happens. Its not much fun when the ref's look the other way when this stuff goes on. :irked:

I don't have a problem with the way Bonner last night or Clark 2 years ago play the game. They are both very physical and play with a little bit of a chip on their shoulder. Russell could use some more of that this year.

If you don't like the physical play, losing your cool and taking a swing is not the way to handle it. It didn't work for Turner last night and it didn't work for Gillum way back when. They lost the mind game. It was physical but it was not cheap.

I don't have a problem with the way Bonner last night or Clark 2 years ago play the game. They are both very physical and play with a little bit of a chip on their shoulder. Russell could use some more of that this year.

If you don't like the physical play, losing your cool and taking a swing is not the way to handle it. It didn't work for Turner last night and it didn't work for Gillum way back when. They lost the mind game. It was physical but it was not cheap.

Sorry fball I dont agree. Basketball was not created to be played like that. Thats why it is a foul to do this. I think you should play by the rules of basketball. You cannot chest,headbutt,elbow,or even talk trash. It is against the rules of the game. How can you say it is part of the game. That is excactly how games get out of hand. like last nights did. Turner over reacted and so did Coach Parsley when he took Turner from the floor. I agree with what Parsley was trying to do but not the way he did it. Kids dont need to be embarrassed by a Coach like that. 10 years ago you didnt see near the on court fighting as you do now. Everytime you have a loose ball, jump ball, it almost ends up in a fight. The game has gotten alot more agressive than in the past. It has changed alot, Now you can pull the ball (crossover) and put your hand on the side of the ball. In the past that was a carry. As long as your palm is not point up its not a carry. But I agree to disagree. There's different ways to look at it. As a parent, As a coach, As a fan, As a ref,as a principle.

Sorry fball I dont agree. Basketball was not created to be played like that. Thats why it is a foul to do this. I think you should play by the rules of basketball. You cannot chest,headbutt,elbow,or even talk trash. It is against the rules of the game. How can you say it is part of the game. That is excactly how games get out of hand. like last nights did. Turner over reacted and so did Coach Parsley when he took Turner from the floor. I agree with what Parsley was trying to do but not the way he did it. Kids dont need to be embarrassed by a Coach like that. 10 years ago you didnt see near the on court fighting as you do now. Everytime you have a loose ball, jump ball, it almost ends up in a fight. The game has gotten alot more agressive than in the past. It has changed alot, Now you can pull the ball (crossover) and put your hand on the side of the ball. In the past that was a carry. As long as your palm is not point up its not a carry. But I agree to disagree. There's different ways to look at it. As a parent, As a coach, As a fan, As a ref,as a principle.

Very good post. I also thought the coach handled the situation rather hastily. I understand what he was doing and as you stated he went about it the wrong way.

:thumb: Good post champion.

Sorry champion. I never said anything about cheap shots or trash talk. I would not tolerate either. But good physical play within the rules is fine. You still cannot loose your composure.