10th Region Tournament Restructure

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always going to be someones home court unless you move it to NKU. I believe that GRC has more regional titles than Mason Co. Does anyone have statistics?

It doesn't matter if Mason Co. was at the bottom of the region and had never won a title, hosting the region at the same regional school each year can not be justified. No one argues the tradition at the Fieldhouse and that tradition should continue EVERY TIME IT IS THEIR TURN TO HOST THE TOURNAMENT. Every other region in the state that doesn't have a neutral site experiences years where a smaller school hosts the regional tournament...it is the only justifiable way IMHO.

:thumb:

They tried this rule at Georgetown College... what ended up happening was that when the men's team played at 2 on Saturday and the girls played at 4 - so many fans left after the mens game that the womens team felt terrible. It was very hard on them to warm up while so many fans were filing out. The women's team coach was a major Title 9 advocate and didn't care that playing early was tearing up her team mentally. She refused to change back until she got wind that the men's coach actually LIKED playing the early game.

I agree that the girls should have the same quality uniforms and the same opportunity to win games, but I do not agree with any of this playing first or second or on a particular night stuff. The fans are going to come to the games they want to see no matter when anyone plays...

:thumb: This is a must read.

Dont you guys see it? Its all about Montgomery Co. getting a piece of the pie!!!!

Forget all the particulars, its all about dollars and cents.

That is exactly what is happening. This way Mason County is sure to get a first round game every year and probably host every other year.

They tried this rule at Georgetown College... what ended up happening was that when the men's team played at 2 on Saturday and the girls played at 4 - so many fans left after the mens game that the womens team felt terrible. It was very hard on them to warm up while so many fans were filing out. The women's team coach was a major Title 9 advocate and didn't care that playing early was tearing up her team mentally. She refused to change back until she got wind that the men's coach actually LIKED playing the early game.

I agree that the girls should have the same quality uniforms and the same opportunity to win games, but I do not agree with any of this playing first or second or on a particular night stuff. The fans are going to come to the games they want to see no matter when anyone plays...

Very well said. I'm all for girls getting equal money, equal equipment, equal everything. But schedule the games to draw the maximum crowd, the kids deserve it. And proper scheduling means bigger crowds, thus more money. More money = better everything listed above. I mean its not like schools were forcing girls to play at 7:30 on Wednesday mornings.

It's always going to be someones home court unless you move it to NKU. I believe that GRC has more regional titles than Mason Co. Does anyone have statistics?

Unless NKU lets the schools use it for free, I don't think it will ever be there!!

Why is Mason County always made to be the villian in this discussion? KHSAA rules read:

The Commissioner shall determine the regional tournament

sites. Schools interested in hosting a regional tournament

must submit their request through the defined site selection

process at prior year tournaments. The Commissioner’s

office may use this site selection plan as a guide, but is not

bound by this plan in determining the sites.

So how is this Mason County's fault?

Later it states:

Case TR-13- How are regional basketball tournament

sites selected?

The placement of the regional basketball tournaments is

at the discretion of the Commissioner. The member

schools in each region were to have met (principals and/

or athletic directors) in September, 1998 to adopt a

plan for designating the site within each region and must

regularly revise the plan and submit those plan revisions

to the KHSAA.

A two-thirds vote is necessary to adopt any plan for

recommending the regional tournament sites and voting

shall include boys’ and girls’ sites. Criteria to be considered

by the schools include but are not limited to- satisfactory

capacity within the gym to safely accommodate past (five

years) and expected attendance numbers; a minimum of

four dressing rooms and an officials dressing room if

double headers are to be played; and adequate parking

for projected attendance.

In addition, discussion must occur regarding a clarification

on the amount of proceeds (if any) that is to be kept by

the host school as well as limitations on expenses by the

host school; determining the amount and/or percentages

to be given to each school that participates; the amount

and/or percentages to be given to each team in the region

not competing in the tournament; and the disbursement

of any proceeds from commissions, parking, advertising

and any other revenue related to the tournament but

not directly related to ticket, program or novelty sales.

Why always point the finger (sometimes not the correct one, if you know what I mean :lol: ) at Mason County?

If there is a problem with where the tournament is being played, why is it Mason County's fault? Sounds to me that the 10th Region schools are following KHSAA rules.

deadhorse.gif

To me, it does not matter where the regional tournament is held, as long as it is held at the same place. If someone else comes up with a gymnasium that can hold the regional crowd than they have a right to host it. However, the atmosphere of a regional tournament can not be felt at four sites in one night. There is an aura about being in the regional tournament. It is the feeling of playing in a bigger gym in front of the largest crowd of the season for most schools. I never can figure out why people who think they are in charge of the whole world (I think his name was mentioned in an earlier post) think they can mess with the tradition of 10th region basketball by trying to change everything when they don't think their wallet will be as thick this year.

Why is Mason County always made to be the villian in this discussion?

Philip, I always wondered the same thing. Some folks have always made it (the playing of the boys' regional tournament every year at The Fieldhouse) out to be strictly a Mason County decision.

Why is Mason County always made to be the villian in this discussion? KHSAA rules read:

The Commissioner shall determine the regional tournament

sites. Schools interested in hosting a regional tournament

must submit their request through the defined site selection

process at prior year tournaments. The Commissioner’s

office may use this site selection plan as a guide, but is not

bound by this plan in determining the sites.

So how is this Mason County's fault?

Later it states:

Case TR-13- How are regional basketball tournament

sites selected?

The placement of the regional basketball tournaments is

at the discretion of the Commissioner. The member

schools in each region were to have met (principals and/

or athletic directors) in September, 1998 to adopt a

plan for designating the site within each region and must

regularly revise the plan and submit those plan revisions

to the KHSAA.

A two-thirds vote is necessary to adopt any plan for

recommending the regional tournament sites and voting

shall include boys’ and girls’ sites. Criteria to be considered

by the schools include but are not limited to- satisfactory

capacity within the gym to safely accommodate past (five

years) and expected attendance numbers; a minimum of

four dressing rooms and an officials dressing room if

double headers are to be played; and adequate parking

for projected attendance.

In addition, discussion must occur regarding a clarification

on the amount of proceeds (if any) that is to be kept by

the host school as well as limitations on expenses by the

host school; determining the amount and/or percentages

to be given to each school that participates; the amount

and/or percentages to be given to each team in the region

not competing in the tournament; and the disbursement

of any proceeds from commissions, parking, advertising

and any other revenue related to the tournament but

not directly related to ticket, program or novelty sales.

Why always point the finger (sometimes not the correct one, if you know what I mean :lol: ) at Mason County?

If there is a problem with where the tournament is being played, why is it Mason County's fault? Sounds to me that the 10th Region schools are following KHSAA rules.

AMEN,And sounds like to me the 2/3 vote goes the majority of the 10th region schools vote for Mason so dont hate us.