10th Region Tournament Restructure

There is some banter going on among the 10th Region Athletic Directors that could change the face of the 10th Region Tournament as we know it.

Since the girls tournament will be held the week immediately following the regional tournaments the traditional format would have the girls play on Monday, Tuesday, the Boys Wednesday and Thursday, the girls semis and finals on Friday and Saturday nights and the boys semis and finals on Monday and Tuesday. That is how it has been done in the past.

The new suggestion/proposal is to play the entire girls first round on Monday night at the site of the four district champions.

The entire boys first round would be played on Tuesday night at the site of the four district winners.

The Girls semi-finals would be played at the chosen region site (Montgomery County High School) on Wednesday night.

The Boys semi-finals would be played at the chosen region site (Mason County Fieldhouse) on Thursday night.

The Girls championship game would be held on Friday night at Montgomery County and the Boys championship game would be played in the Mason County Fieldhouse on Saturday night.

What are your thoughts???

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll now offer my own personal thoughts on the proposal.

While I tend to be a traditionalist and love attending all of the 10th Region Tournament games, the trade off is getting to play the championship game on a prime time night AND get a preparation day in between the semis and finals. With the "potential" for a couple of mis-matches in the opening round of the regional this year, I would vote to go along with the proposal and bite the bullet on tradition.

Since the girls state tournament will be held first for the next five years, I would imagine that if the proposal is adopted it will be for the entire five year duration.

As Puff Daddy (or whatever his name is now) once said, "It's all about the Benjamin's baby."

Because the girls is first this year (and I guess for the next couple of years) it is messing up how things used to be in the 10th.

I myself don't have a problem with the proposal.

GS, from what I understand, it would start this year.

This is just insane. Why mess with something that isnt broke?

Because of the boys having to do what the girls have been having to do for the past many years, wanted to change and the powers-to-be voted it down.

Presently, the girls semifinals and finals are on the Monday-Tuesday night before the Boys Sweet 16. With the changes coming up in the Sweet 16 (girls/boys week are switching), they didn't want the poor boys tournament to have to be played on Mon-Tues as the girls have been forced to do for many, many moons. What is the old saying about shoe on the other foot?

The powers-to-be were presented with the problem of the girls tournament several years back and a proposal to change it. They did not feel it was a problem and voted the Girls Coaches proposal down. Now that the boys program has the M-T game, it becomes a problem.:irked: :irked:

One huge issue I see with this is the fans. The cheerleaders and pep band could be out 6 consectutive nights and including 4 school nights and possibly late.

Monday night hosting a game or traveling to a game for the girls.

Tuesday night hosting a game or traveling to a game for the boys.

Wednesday night traveling to the regional site for girls which could be over an hour 1/2 drive for some.

Thursday night traveling to the regional site for boys which could be over an hour 1/2 drive to go to Montgomery County.

Friday night traveling to the regional championship game for girls.

Saturday night traveling to the regional championship game for boys.

There are several 10th region schools that placing a team in the finals of both is NOT out of the question. With this setup, the casual fans of the school would be more willing to skip the girls games and once more girls basketball gets the short end of the stick.

To add to this, it is my understanding that YOU WILL SEE the boys tournament at Montgomery County next year and in NKY when it comes there turn.

Here is how it works on both girls/boys side. The districts host the regional tournament and there is a 4-year rotation among the four district. The DISTRICT VOTES on where the district tournament will be held with some guidelines for size understood.

On the boys side, it was understood that no facility was proper and $$$$$ (not much different in HS boys basketball than the BCS) was at the Fieldhouse. This year Montgomery County district hosts the regional tournament for girls meaning they will be hosting the boys tournament next year. I fully expect that district to vote to host the tournament at Montgomery County next year.

When the NKY district gets their turn in the rotation and the NKU arena is finished, I would expect them to do the same.

I can understand the reasoning behind this proposal. Will benifit the team that has a tuff semi game..extra day of rest and to prepare.If this passes when would this take effect?

Now the AD's are concerned about this when it is the boys side. No concern when the girls have been doing it for years. Estill County had to spend the night when they played semis and finals on back-to-back days at the Campbell County Middle School.

Sorry, it perturbs me when the girls programs are treated like 2nd class citizens. No wonder so many male athletes are cocky and arrogant because the adults making the decisions treat them as special citizens.

I think it will work. The boy's final should be on Saturday night , but why not play the finals as a doubleheader?? I'm sure some region does this-- does it work for them??

I asked that question myself. Answer to me was that how long do you give the first team to celebrate on the floor before you shoo them out so the 2nd game can be played.

And you are cutting your gate.

Dont you guys see it? Its all about Montgomery Co. getting a piece of the pie!!!!

Forget all the particulars, its all about dollars and cents.

Montgomery Co.?!

I believe someone else made the proposal. Think about it....

If they just flip-flopped what has happened in the past (boys on Sat. night, girls on Tuesday night), who do you think made the proposal?

I agree with the Ladiescoach that it was wrong not to vote to change the nights since they backed up to the girls state tournament. If the decision would have helped their teams have a better chance in the state tournament then they should have made the change.

I do NOT agree with the Ladiescoach that a legitimate issue is that the fans may choose to go to the boys game and not the girls if they are back to back. That statement in itself de-values the girls team.

Now the AD's are concerned about this when it is the boys side. No concern when the girls have been doing it for years.

Actually the boys also did the Monday-Tuesday semis and finals for years prior to the previous long string of having the boys state tournament first.

I know for sure that in 1998 we played the semifinals against St. Patrick on Monday and came right back on Tuesday in the championship game against Fleming County.

I agree with the Ladiescoach that it was wrong not to vote to change the nights since they backed up to the girls state tournament. If the decision would have helped their teams have a better chance in the state tournament then they should have made the change.

I do NOT agree with the Ladiescoach that a legitimate issue is that the fans may choose to go to the boys game and not the girls if they are back to back. That statement in itself de-values the girls team.

I have coached in girls sports for many, many years. Do you see the same crowds at girls games as you do the boys? Even the programs where the girls are better than the boys? When the casual fan has the choice, more often than not, they will choose the boys even if the boys are not good. My fear is that is what will occur. Given a choice of being out 6 nights, I am afraid that the girls will get the short end of the stick as they have by the 10th region powers the past few years.