10th Region Tournament Restructure

Actually the boys also did the Monday-Tuesday semis and finals for years prior to the previous long string of having the boys state tournament first.

I know for sure that in 1998 we played the semifinals against St. Patrick on Monday and came right back on Tuesday in the championship game against Fleming County.

Are you sure that is not the year of snow that moved the dates around?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont you guys see it? Its all about Montgomery Co. getting a piece of the pie!!!!

Forget all the particulars, its all about dollars and cents.

This proposal has ZERO to do with Montgomery County hosting the regional. That WILL happen if the schools (Montgomery, Clark, Bourbon, Paris) want it to happen next year whether this proposal is in place or not. Those four schools will decide where it will be held.

Isn't the main reason for the schedule change because of the NCAA first-second rounds being played at Rupp? That means that the boys state tournament can't be played until March 21-24, a week later than normal. I'm not sure this is for the next five years, but definitely this year. I would imagine the 10th region could return to its normal format next year.

Isn't the main reason for the schedule change because of the NCAA first-second rounds being played at Rupp? That means that the boys state tournament can't be played until March 21-24, a week later than normal. I'm not sure this is for the next five years, but definitely this year. I would imagine the 10th region could return to its normal format next year.

The NCAA tourney being played at Rupp has nothing to do with this. Its called Title 9

There is some banter going on among the 10th Region Athletic Directors that could change the face of the 10th Region Tournament as we know it.

Since the girls tournament will be held the week immediately following the regional tournaments the traditional format would have the girls play on Monday, Tuesday, the Boys Wednesday and Thursday, the girls semis and finals on Friday and Saturday nights and the boys semis and finals on Monday and Tuesday. That is how it has been done in the past.

The new suggestion/proposal is to play the entire girls first round on Monday night at the site of the four district champions.

The entire boys first round would be played on Tuesday night at the site of the four district winners.

The Girls semi-finals would be played at the chosen region site (Montgomery County High School) on Wednesday night.

The Boys semi-finals would be played at the chosen region site (Mason County Fieldhouse) on Thursday night.

The Girls championship game would be held on Friday night at Montgomery County and the Boys championship game would be played in the Mason County Fieldhouse on Saturday night.

What are your thoughts???

I think this is just about the dumbest idea that I have heard of. I do have a few thoughts.

1. If you break apart the tournament, how would the crowds be. There are many people that attend the games that are not affiliated with any schools.

2. Teams participating in the boys tourny usually take home a nice paycheck. Somewhere between 4,000 -5,000$. It really helps out small schools who have smaller athletic budgets.

3. Montgomery Co. may have a nice new gym BUT it is not as big as the fieldhouse therefore it will cut into point 2. When Pendleton Co. won the region 2 years ago there were many people who couldn't get in because the fire marshall shut the doors. They may try it once and when everyone realizes their paycheck isn't as big, it will soon find it's way back to Maysville.

4. Ladies ball coach is correct, many families can't afford to go every night and the girls would ultimately suffer. There again, it all goes back to $$$$$.

It just isnt fair that the fieldhouse gets every Regional Tourney, And also there district, Im sure some will get mad, If they do play it , Should get referees from another Region. Just think back when Maysville had those great teams How they hated playing at Mason co. I would rather see it played at the old Maysville Gym than Mason Co , Fred Hester isnt the nicest( very rude) when you come to the fieldhouse either..

It just isnt fair that the fieldhouse gets every Regional Tourney, And also there district, Im sure some will get mad, If they do play it , Should get referees from another Region. Just think back when Maysville had those great teams How they hated playing at Mason co. I would rather see it played at the old Maysville Gym than Mason Co , Fred Hester isnt the nicest( very rude) when you come to the fieldhouse either..

Well, I am sorry that you don't think it is "fair", but it is a size of facility issue. When other schools build a big enough gym to fit everyone in, then maybe they would get a turn as well. It just comes down to that. I don't think some parents would think it was "fair" if they couldn't get in to see their kids play in a game because the ADs decided to give everyone a chance to host the tournaments in the MUCH smaller gyms!

Bracken Co. had the districts last year and don't critize Fred until you have walked in his shoes. He has major responsibilities that few realize. Here's another few reasons why the idea is dumb.

For some small schools (Deming, Augusta, Nicholas Co) who don't get the opportunity to play in the fieldhouse they are just happy to make it to the region. It was overheard last year that this was their state tourny. Remember from the river to the region!! I have also heard former students from these schools say they never had the opportunity to play in the fieldhouse. The 10th region tourny is a special atmosphere, why deprive these kids of that.

Another point, there is no other more centrally located place in the region than Maysville. It would take 2 hours on a bus for the Northern Ky schools to get to Mt. Sterling and vica versa. Remember most of these games take place on school nights and the students must go to school the next day. They are students first.

Also do you have any idea how much money it takes to send school buses that far with gas prices the way they are today? You are talking at least 3 buses for most schools (team, band & cheerleaders). A 4 hour round trip paying for buses and drivers gets expensive. I still say that eventually money talks!

I do not want to sound rude at all with this comment, but we all know that the girls tournament will not generate as much money as the boys. It is just simple facts. We all know how that works. No matter what you do, girls teams and games will never have as many fans as the boys teams and games. I wish that more people would go to the girls games, but I don't see it happening. It is the same way with boys JV and Freshman games! So, lets make the boys tournament finals on a night where the most money could be generated, which would be a Saturday night. The money does help so much for the schools, so why wouldn't we want to generate as much money as we can? Afterall, we all know that everything does come down to money in the end. These schools need this money!

I hate to say this but is should not be about MONEY. Even though I know thats what makes the world go around. In boys or girls it should be rotated around to the biggest 4 or 5 gyms. It does make a difference if you are playing at home. It is hard to beat Mason on their home court. It's all politic....:devil:

The NCAA tourney being played at Rupp has nothing to do with this. Its called Title 9

Title IX might make some changes in regions, but most regions all altering the season due to state tournament changes. The girls state tournament will be held March 14-17, a week earlier than usual. Because of that, the girls regionals have to be finished before March 14, which means most will finish on Saturday, March 10. That typically would be the date boys regions will end.

The boys tournament is the next week. Most regions will play the boys tournament on Wednesday-Thursday-Monday-Tuesday (March 7, 8, 12 & 13), unless there are changes made.