10th Region Tournament Restructure

The NCAA tourney being played at Rupp has nothing to do with this. Its called Title 9

No it doesn't. If it was called Title IX, they would have addressed the problem when the 10th Region Girls Coaches Association brought this issue up 3-4 years ago. It is an issue ONLY because of the change in the state tournament means the boys tournament would have to be played on a Mon-Tues and they would lose funds.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always the girls play second fiddler to boys sports. One of these days it will end up in court again.....:fight:

How is it second fiddle? Most girls teams are playing more and more on Friday nights during the regular season, in some cases knocking the boys out of that date. During boy/girl doubleheaders, the girls are playing the nightcap more and more, which in my experience means that the bulk of the crowd heads home after the boys play the opening game.

As for the regional finals not being over the weekedn, I can't think of anybody who would say, "well, the girls are in the regional final, but its Tuesday night, I can't go. If only it were Saturday." When would that ever happen?

Here is how it works on both girls/boys side. The districts host the regional tournament and there is a 4-year rotation among the four district. The DISTRICT VOTES on where the district tournament will be held with some guidelines for size understood.

On the boys side, it was understood that no facility was proper and $$$$$ (not much different in HS boys basketball than the BCS) was at the Fieldhouse. This year Montgomery County district hosts the regional tournament for girls meaning they will be hosting the boys tournament next year. I fully expect that district to vote to host the tournament at Montgomery County next year. It will be the decision of the 4 schools in that region: Paris, Bourbon County, Montgomery County and Clark County.

When the NKY district (the schools voting/deciding would be Campbell County/Brossart/Scott/Silver Grove/Calvary Christian) gets their turn in the rotation and the NKU arena is finished, I would expect them to do the same.

How is it second fiddle? Most girls teams are playing more and more on Friday nights during the regular season, in some cases knocking the boys out of that date. During boy/girl doubleheaders, the girls are playing the nightcap more and more, which in my experience means that the bulk of the crowd heads home after the boys play the opening game.

As for the regional finals not being over the weekedn, I can't think of anybody who would say, "well, the girls are in the regional final, but its Tuesday night, I can't go. If only it were Saturday." When would that ever happen?

The prime date doubleheaders and who plays the second game is addressed in the Commissioner's notes for January. You can access them at http://www.khsaa.org.

Basically, 2 and 3 DH's and girls have to be the 2nd game in onel. 4 and 5 DH's and girls have to be the 2nd game in two. You get the idea.

The prime date doubleheaders and who plays the second game is addressed in the Commissioner's notes for January. You can access them at http://www.khsaa.org.

Basically, 2 and 3 DH's and girls have to be the 2nd game in onel. 4 and 5 DH's and girls have to be the 2nd game in two. You get the idea.

Thanks for the link. I already knew that rule, but I'm glad to see it in writing.

I agree. I think they will come to the boys tourny no matter what night of the week it is. It depends more on who is playing.

Personally, I think it will hurt $$$ wise. If 4 games are played the same night at 4 different locations those who travle to watch other games will be limited. I think they should leave it as it is.

No one in their right mind could argue that $$ the gate will be smaller. Presently, they would play the 4 games on two different nights and close the gym and make a person pay a 2nd admission fee for the 2nd game of the night at Mason County.

A person paying two admission fees in one night will not happen when that is at four different locations.

I hate to say this but is should not be about MONEY. Even though I know thats what makes the world go around. In boys or girls it should be rotated around to the biggest 4 or 5 gyms. It does make a difference if you are playing at home. It is hard to beat Mason on their home court. It's all politic....:devil:

It's always going to be someones home court unless you move it to NKU. I believe that GRC has more regional titles than Mason Co. Does anyone have statistics?

It's always going to be someones home court unless you move it to NKU. I believe that GRC has more regional titles than Mason Co. Does anyone have statistics?

Yes and no. Clark County has won 20 regional titles, but 14 of those were in the 16th region. Since GRC moved to the 10th region in the late '60s, they have won 6 titles.

Mason County has ten regional titles, with the first coming in 1981. All have been won in the 10th region.

They tried this rule at Georgetown College... what ended up happening was that when the men's team played at 2 on Saturday and the girls played at 4 - so many fans left after the mens game that the womens team felt terrible. It was very hard on them to warm up while so many fans were filing out. The women's team coach was a major Title 9 advocate and didn't care that playing early was tearing up her team mentally. She refused to change back until she got wind that the men's coach actually LIKED playing the early game.

I agree that the girls should have the same quality uniforms and the same opportunity to win games, but I do not agree with any of this playing first or second or on a particular night stuff. The fans are going to come to the games they want to see no matter when anyone plays...

Yes and no. Clark County has won 20 regional titles, but 14 of those were in the 16th region. Since GRC moved to the 10th region in the late '60s, they have won 6 titles.

Mason County has ten regional titles, with the first coming in 1981. All have been won in the 10th region.

Thanks! :thumb:

For some small schools (Deming, Augusta, Nicholas Co) who don't get the opportunity to play in the fieldhouse they are just happy to make it to the region. It was overheard last year that this was their state tourny. Remember from the river to the region!! I have also heard former students from these schools say they never had the opportunity to play in the fieldhouse. The 10th region tourny is a special atmosphere, why deprive these kids of that.
That's easy to say ... if you're from Mason County.