Owensboro vs. Daviess County Predictions/Updates

City vs. County  

19 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/2022 at 11:00 PM

1542977001_download(1).thumb.jpeg.97d97ca2517234f6ec54e1ac0b0dff65.jpeg

This Year's Edition Lighter On Drama, Still High On Bragging Rights

Records: Owensboro (1-1) | Daviess County (2-0)

BGP Ranking: Owensboro (#2 in 5A) | Daviess County (unranked)

Series History: Owensboro leads 57-9-1 all-time

Table Setter: This one has the near impossible task of living up to the hype and post game fallout of last year's thrilling 49-42 Red Devils win. Mr. Football contending quarterbacks Gavin Wimsatt and Joe Humphreys provided the pre-game star power, but Kenyatta Carbon delivered the 'player of the game' performance for the winning side with 181 rushing yards and four combined touchdowns. He's coming off a five touchdown game against Apollo in Week 2 that has him climbing this year's Mr. Football ladder. Owensboro laid waste to the Eagles to claim the first leg of the city/county championship. Daviess County presents hurdle #2.

The Panthers had their hands full with a very solid Owensboro Catholic squad last week before pulling away in the final 15 minutes. Decker Renfrow snagged a state best four interceptions, including a pick-six that gave DC a two score cushion in the fourth quarter. Aggressive tendencies could make or break a defensive back against Owensboro. The Red Devils appear to have the offensive firepower to replicate last year's output. The question is, can the Panthers keep pace at Rash Stadium like they did a year ago at home?

• Like 1

This game and the Henderson game are probably going to be the biggest test left on O’s schedule. DC has a few athletes that will make you pay if you don’t wrap up. After watching the O vs Apollo game I’m sure DC will run some screen plays with Parm, if O struggles with the screen plays I can see DC scoring a few touchdowns. But like @Tigerpride94 said I don’t see DC slowing down the Devils offense. 

Devil: 64

DC: 21

• Like 2

I think O needs to get the WR corps more involved.  Goodwin is too good a playmaker to only have 2 catches on the year, as is Pendleton.  I think they will - Boone and the coaches are simply taking what is given.  DC will look to focus on Carbon - time for Boone and the WR corps to shine.  Also, I’m not sure Goodwin or Clark couldn’t play MLB some.  Switch Gough or Early outside, or even Pendleton.  To me your best 2 tacklers are Goodwin and Clark - they don’t miss and are where they need to be.  Both are blazing fast.  I liked the Kimbrell kid playing some TE, he will fill in nicely next year after Goodwin graduates.  Defense has to start playing up to its level.  I look for a ticked off O team after allowing 18 to Apollo.

Owensboro 42-14.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brown said:

I think O needs to get the WR corps more involved.  Goodwin is too good a playmaker to only have 2 catches on the year, as is Pendleton.  I think they will - Boone and the coaches are simply taking what is given.  DC will look to focus on Carbon - time for Boone and the WR corps to shine.  Also, I’m not sure Goodwin or Clark couldn’t play MLB some.  Switch Gough or Early outside, or even Pendleton.  To me your best 2 tacklers are Goodwin and Clark - they don’t miss and are where they need to be.  Both are blazing fast.  I liked the Kimbrell kid playing some TE, he will fill in nicely next year after Goodwin graduates.  Defense has to start playing up to its level.  I look for a ticked off O team after allowing 18 to Apollo.

Owensboro 42-14.

Would love to see it. Both Clark and Goodwin are aggressive and athletic enough to make it work. But what you gain on inside strength, you lose on the outside in great coverage and pressure.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:30 PM, Devils Fan said:

Would love to see it. Both Clark and Goodwin are aggressive and athletic enough to make it work. But what you gain on inside strength, you lose on the outside in great coverage and pressure.

Yeah Clark is a must have in coverage, and it probably overcomplicates things from learning several defensive positions and schemes.  I would hate to lose the Goodwin pass rush too!  Let's see how they come along through the year. 

On 8/28/2022 at 12:11 PM, Purple88 said:

IMO, if OCath doesn't turn the ball over as much as they did, they would have had a chance to beat DC.

That defensive effort isn't going to cut it vs the Red Devils.  50 Burger #2 coming right up!

I got to call that one and I agree.  DC really struggled to consistently move the ball on offense.  Renfrow and Floyd are both great weapons but both DC QB's struggled to get the ball down the field.  If DC can't get their run game going tonight, they are going to be in big big trouble.  Catholic got after them up front last week and Parm looked indecisive at times.  That cannot happen tonight.

On the other side, I came away very impressed by DC's front 7.  Clark and Cunningham were solid on the DL and Beehn and Blue were very good at LB.  Speed will be the issue for DC.  Do they have anyone on the edges who can contain Carbon?  Keep an eye on Ball at Safety coming down to try to help take him away.  I'm just not sure I see a path for DC.  

OHS 49 - DC 7

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ApolloFan98 said:

I got to call that one and I agree.  DC really struggled to consistently move the ball on offense.  Renfrow and Floyd are both great weapons but both DC QB's struggled to get the ball down the field.  If DC can't get their run game going tonight, they are going to be in big big trouble.  Catholic got after them up front last week and Parm looked indecisive at times.  That cannot happen tonight.

On the other side, I came away very impressed by DC's front 7.  Clark and Cunningham were solid on the DL and Beehn and Blue were very good at LB.  Speed will be the issue for DC.  Do they have anyone on the edges who can contain Carbon?  I just don't think they do.  

OHS 49 - DC 7

Great analysis here!

I just don't think DC can do anything with Owensboro's offense.  Just too many guys who can take it to the house every play.  I'm sure the Red Devils will key on Parm, who is a very fine player.  If O is successful at doing that (which I think they will be) then what?  Could be over very quickly.

Owensboro 56

DC 6

• Like 2