Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question (probably a stupid one) from a former football player

Featured Replies

Here's the question: why in pre game warm ups, don't basketball teams, as they do their shooting, have some defensive players guarding them to simulate what will happen once the game begins?

It's a matter of preference. Some schools do that after they are warmed up with some 3 on 3 and 4 on 4 drills or something, but most choose not too, to avoid an injury. That is all you need is someone turn an ankle trying to play defense in pre-game warm ups. That is what practice is for anyways, pre-game is used to get the muscles warmed up and get the players focused and ready to go! This is just my opinion on this, I'm sure others have theirs as well.

I am a firm believer that warmups need to include activity and not laziness. I cant stand watching simple layup lines where the players go through the motion. I always have my boys do 3 man weave, alley ball and passing drills to keep them moving at all times.

 

If they are doing the layup drills at half speed then I don't have a problem but sometimes I watch these kids just fling em up there and goof off in line. How does that warm you up let along keep you focused.

I was very happily surprised when I went to my first Mason game this year at the Fieldhouse and they were doing some of those drills before the game. It was nice to see something aside from a layup drill.

Here's the question: why in pre game warm ups, don't basketball teams, as they do their shooting, have some defensive players guarding them to simulate what will happen once the game begins?

Very hard to simulate game action without going full go. Thats what the hours of practice are for. There are a couple of drills desgned to have a "hand in the face" of a shooter. Football is sort of the same. The only contact in pregame seem to be the line guys butting heads. And most of that seems to be token at best.

Let me ask this should Dunking be allowed during warm-ups. I say yes.

Let me ask this should Dunking be allowed during warm-ups. I say yes.

 

I don't know why it isn't. You can dunk prior to referees coming to the floor, but after they arrive you can't dunk. I assume the rule is to limit showboating but the dunk is a legal shot in basketball and theoretically, practicing it before the game would be preparing for a similar shot during the game.

In HS you don't usually have a backup basket, in the pros or college you can roll in a new one, if you break the bucket at most HS's the game will be canceled. I remember a backboard shattering at Connner in '91, during warmups.

In HS you don't usually have a backup basket, in the pros or college you can roll in a new one, if you break the bucket at most HS's the game will be canceled. I remember a backboard shattering at Connner in '91, during warmups.

 

Brennan Votel broke the rim at NCC in '03 and it delayed the game about a half hour. Add that to the fact that the JV game went into OT (maybe 2 OT) and you've got a long delay.

In HS you don't usually have a backup basket, in the pros or college you can roll in a new one, if you break the bucket at most HS's the game will be canceled. I remember a backboard shattering at Connner in '91, during warmups.

 

I was at the game at Conner. Sat down, watched warmups, left.

Let me ask this should Dunking be allowed during warm-ups. I say yes.

 

It is, until refs get on the court.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.