War in Ukraine

PP1

I am also wondering if Russia if going to use Thermobaric Weapons against the Ukrainians. 

From Wikipedia:

A thermobaric weapon, aerosol bomb, fuel air explosive, or vacuum bomb[1] is a type of explosive that uses oxygen from the surrounding air to generate a high-temperature explosion. In practice, the blast wave typically produced by these weapons lasts significantly longer than that of a conventional condensed explosive. This can be launched as a rocket or dropped from an airplane as a bomb. The initial explosive charge detonates as it hits its target, opening the container and dispersing the fuel mixture as a cloud.[2] The fuel–air explosive is one of the best-known types of thermobaric weapon.

In September 2007, Russia exploded the largest thermobaric weapon ever made. Its yield was reportedly greater than the smallest dial-a-yield nuclear weapons at their lowest settings.[33][34] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon

Also, I spoke to one of my Army Ranger friends awhile back and a Vietnam Veteran today about these bombs.  They both refer to them as "daisy cutters" and they both had the same look of satisfaction on their faces when they described to me how effective these bombs are on the battlefield.  

• Like 1

I also see that the advanced fighter jets that were reported to be on the way to the Ukrainians are not being given to them now.  I saw several potential offerings the most lethal of which would be updated Mig 29s which are like watered down F15s but still extremely lethal war planes. 

30 minutes ago, theguru said:

I am wondering if Ukraine is going to launch a counter-offensive against the reported 40 mile caravan of Russian war machines and soldiers slowing rolling towards Kyiv.   It seems to me there have to be some choke points where the Ukrainians could take out a massive amount of attacking Russians in the front of the caravan and essentially block their march forward while at the same time striking at the morale of the Russian troops and giving the citizens back in Russia a clearer picture of what is going on.

That's the first thing I thought of when I heard about the caravan. Seems like sitting ducks to me. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

That's the first thing I thought of when I heard about the caravan. Seems like sitting ducks to me. 

I agree.  With the right equipment (A10 Warthogs and advanced drones) it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. 

• Like 1

Hearing that the brewery that was making molotov cocktails has been bombed.

I also read that Stinger Missiles (anti air) and Javelin Missiles (anti tank) are being delivered from neighboring countries. 

There is a video going around of captured Russian soldiers saying they had no idea they were invading Ukraine. They were told they were going on a training exercise in Belarus. 

Just now, Jumper_Dad said:

Hearing that the brewery that was making molotov cocktails has been bombed.

I also read that Stinger Missiles (anti air) and Javelin Missiles (anti tank) are being delivered from neighboring countries. 

There is a video going around of captured Russian soldiers saying they had no idea they were invading Ukraine. They were told they were going on a training exercise in Belarus. 

Even the Swiss have stepped into the game and that should tell us all something.

I have heard the same thing on Stingers and Javelins, numerous countries are providing them and other things similar to them.

I have heard the training exercise thing too but once the bullets start flying that pretty much goes out the window.  And in todays world some of the Russian soldiers surely have access to the internet meaning they know what is up now. 

It's a scary situation. My parents moved back to the states in 2011 and about six months later a very anti-USA establishment came to order. Several of their friends emigrated to US from Crimea in 2013 and never went back home. 

I pray for them. I'm also proud of them for standing up for themselves. I was worried they were just going to tap out and not even counter-punch. I'm not sure if it is good that I feel that way though.

4 hours ago, theguru said:

From the Great Google Machine and updated 22 hours ago:

How much oil does the u. s. buy from Russia?

In 2021, the U.S. imported nearly 700,000 barrels of oil a day from Russia. As a nation, we have been unnecessarily contributing to the industrial success of a hostile competitor that has repeatedly shown a willingness to weaponize its energy exports.

=================

Right now that equates to about 70 million dollars a day.

Do you know how much oil Europe buys from Russia? I heard a report that said about 50% of Europe's oil comes from Russia.

44 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Do you know how much oil Europe buys from Russia? I heard a report that said about 50% of Europe's oil comes from Russia.

No but I am thinking Google does.  I just found this on Google:

How much of U.S. oil comes from Canada?

Of the 7.86 million barrels per day the U.S. imported in 2020, the majority came from its North American neighbors: Canada, with 4.13 million barrels (52.5%), and Mexico, with 750,000 (9.6%).

3 hours ago, theguru said:

Even the Swiss have stepped into the game and that should tell us all something.

I have heard the same thing on Stingers and Javelins, numerous countries are providing them and other things similar to them.

I have heard the training exercise thing too but once the bullets start flying that pretty much goes out the window.  And in todays world some of the Russian soldiers surely have access to the internet meaning they know what is up now. 

I can see for operational security that no one may have internet access. Couldn't take a chance on a soldier giving away locations on accident. I can see them being completely kept in the dark...until they started moving into Ukraine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I can see for operational security that no one may have internet access. Couldn't take a chance on a soldier giving away locations on accident. I can see them being completely kept in the dark...until they started moving into Ukraine. 

I saw an interview with a Ukrainian resident that had family in Russia. They were finally able to get ahold of their family and when they did, the family members in Russia didn’t even know about the war happening in Ukraine because it hadn’t been allowed on TV or the internet in Russia. 

• Like 1

No Politics Policy

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, White House, Capitol, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, bill, legislative process, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

7 hours ago, theguru said:

From the Great Google Machine and updated 22 hours ago:

How much oil does the u. s. buy from Russia?

In 2021, the U.S. imported nearly 700,000 barrels of oil a day from Russia. As a nation, we have been unnecessarily contributing to the industrial success of a hostile competitor that has repeatedly shown a willingness to weaponize its energy exports.

=================

Right now that equates to about 70 million dollars a day.

According to Wikipedia if completed the XL section of the Keystone pipeline would have increased the capacity of the pipeline by 510,000 barrels per day.  If we really wanted to, we could eliminate the need to rely on any Russian oil.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

According to Wikipedia if completed the XL section of the Keystone pipeline would have increased the capacity of the pipeline by 510,000 barrels per day.  If we really wanted to, we could eliminate the need to rely on any Russian oil.   

There’s nothing we can do at this point.  There isn’t an easy or quick fix.  Big oil is reaching out offering to do more if they are allowed.  Russia (obviously) and Saudi Arabia will not intervene to lower prices or increase production.  This is literally going to be a bubble to watch burst.  It will burst once demand destruction begins in April/May-ish I’m guessing.  Sit back and absorb the pain, $4 is coming to a pump near you.