War in Ukraine

PP1

3 hours ago, Bert said:

Russia has put it's nuclear deterrent forces on high alert.  Well that's just great news.

I read that as a bluff. Russia says they’re expecting a nuclear war, the world says we don’t want that and then questions the long term strategic value of helping Ukraine full force. Russia then takes over Ukraine because the world doesn’t want to use the weapons Russia claimed they would.

50 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I read that as a bluff. Russia says they’re expecting a nuclear war, the world says we don’t want that and then questions the long term strategic value of helping Ukraine full force. Russia then takes over Ukraine because the world doesn’t want to use the weapons Russia claimed they would.

I was thinking that too and hope it is a bluff.

2 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

My concern with this they may be about to unleash some weapons that they know the world will react badly to - perhaps even chemical weapons. There are reports that gas masks are being distributed to Russian soldiers. Hopefully someone in Russia stands up and stops anything like that from happening.   

• Like 1

No Politics Policy

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, White House, Capitol, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, bill, legislative process, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

3 minutes ago, nkypete said:

A former Miss Ukraine has joined the fight too.  Part of me wonders if this is serious or an opportunity for her to up her Instagram numbers.  Very attractive lady and she looks good with a gun.

I kind of thought the same thing.  I have great, great respect for the Ukrainian people but I thought those photos looked a little staged.  

• Thanks 1

From the Great Google Machine and remember this was 1-20-22:

What's the closest the Doomsday Clock has been?

100 seconds to midnight.

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists announced on Jan. 20 that the hands of the Doomsday Clock remain at 100 seconds to midnight—the closest it has ever been to apocalypse. Jan 23, 2022.

On 2/28/2022 at 11:00 AM, nkypete said:

A former Miss Ukraine has joined the fight too.  Part of me wonders if this is serious or an opportunity for her to up her Instagram numbers.  Very attractive lady and she looks good with a gun.

On 2/28/2022 at 11:05 AM, theguru said:

I kind of thought the same thing.  I have great, great respect for the Ukrainian people but I thought those photos looked a little staged.  

I have seen news reports now claiming that was an airsoft gun with her being the source.

I was thinking more about this last night and we all know certain people will exploit anything for their benefit.  With that said, if push comes to shove I assume she will step up and fight.

• Confused 1

The Ready Campaign has some advice for us since nuclear weapon use has been in the news:

Stay inside for 24 hours unless local authorities provide other instructions. Continue to practice social distancing by wearing a mask and by keeping a distance of at least six feet between yourself and people who not part of your household.

https://www.ready.gov/nuclear-explosion

About the Ready Campaign

Launched in February 2003, Ready is a National public service campaign designed to educate and empower the American people to prepare for, respond to and mitigate emergencies, including natural and man-made disasters. The goal of the campaign is to promote preparedness through public involvement.

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2022 at 10:23 AM, theguru said:

I watched a couple of reports showing college students in Ukraine that were in class a week ago and now they are making molotov cocktails and possibly even roadside bombs.  What a difference a week makes. 

Poor kids.  That makes me sick.

• Sad 1