National League to adopt the designated hitter in 2022.

On banning the shift, it likely isn't a ban on the shift. They are restricting what a shift can look like.  A team has to keep 4 infielders with their feet in the dirt. They would still be able to put 3 infielders to the right side of 2nd base as long as all 3 have their feet in the dirt.  I don't think there are any restrictions on outfielders, so you could move your center fielder to short right field. I like the rule with those restrictions.

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Well I guess there is that.  I didn't play baseball, but is it really all that hard to learn or is it an ego thing?

Pitchers practice hitting on a limited basis but they are professional baseball players and great athletes. They practice bunting on a regular basis and look how bad most of them are at it. Yes, I think it is a skill that is not easily mastered and requires practice. Egos are probably at play as hitters don't want to use their batting practice time working on bunting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Pitchers practice hitting on a limited basis but they are professional baseball players and great athletes. They practice bunting on a regular basis and look how bad most of them are at it. Yes, I think it is a skill that is not easily mastered and requires practice. Egos are probably at play as hitters don't want to use their batting practice time working on bunting.

Very few major league pitchers regularly practice bunting these days. It's been that way for a long while. Actually, some never pick up a bat throughout the minors either. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Very few major league pitchers regularly practice bunting these days. It's been that way for a long while. Actually, some never pick up a bat throughout the minors either. 

Which is so dumb. Often the best athletes coming up are pitchers, then they are told not to put those skills to the test, instead continue specializing in an already specialized skill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bugatti said:

Which is so dumb. Often the best athletes coming up are pitchers, then they are told not to put those skills to the test, instead continue specializing in an already specialized skill.

I've always thought the same! 

On 3/8/2022 at 11:42 AM, bugatti said:

Can they also negotiate that managers/coaches are prohibited from wearing uniforms? A pair of nice slacks and a polo will suffice. Spare me the "they are part of the team" argument.

If baseball managers have to wear unis, so should basketball coaches.  I for one can’t wait to see Jim Boeheim in uniform. 

Can they also negotiate that managers/coaches are prohibited from wearing uniforms? A pair of nice slacks and a polo will suffice. Spare me the "they are part of the team" argument.

Baseball Coaches and managers have to be assigned a uniform number.  Unlike other sports, they are legally allowed on the field during play.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 9:05 PM, The Raven said:

Baseball Coaches and managers have to be assigned a uniform number.  Unlike other sports, they are legally allowed on the field during play.

Are you saying baseball coaches are legally allowed to go inside the foul lines during even a live ball play? If so that is the first I have heard of that. 

If not, then it is not much different than a basketball coach or football coach being right there moving up and down the side line just barely out of the field of play. Much like how a 1st and 3rd base coach are in foul territory/out of bounds area in a coaches box. 

13 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Are you saying baseball coaches are legally allowed to go inside the foul lines during even a live ball play? If so that is the first I have heard of that. 

If not, then it is not much different than a basketball coach or football coach being right there moving up and down the side line just barely out of the field of play. Much like how a 1st and 3rd base coach are in foul territory/out of bounds area in a coaches box. 

No.  But 1st and 3rd base coaches are on the field during the live game.   Pitching coaches and Managers are allowed mound visits.  Basketball coaches and Football coaches at the college and pro levels are not allowed out into the playing field at all by rule, even though during TOs they do go out in FB, but they can't go inside the numbers.

23 minutes ago, The Raven said:

No.  But 1st and 3rd base coaches are on the field during the live game.   Pitching coaches and Managers are allowed mound visits.  Basketball coaches and Football coaches at the college and pro levels are not allowed out into the playing field at all by rule, even though during TOs they do go out in FB, but they can't go inside the numbers.

I think we all get this, but it does not mean they need to wear uniforms. 

I say go full on for the Cornelius McGillicuddy look.