Your School's All-Time Starting 5

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grant County:

Tyler Jones '03 all time leading scorer; led to regional finals; signed at Miami (Ohio)

Steve Howe '79 led GCHS to state 34-2 record; 2x all state; leading scorer for over 20 years; 4 good years at NKU

Alan Shafer '01 broke Howe's scoring records; scored 49 against Lex Cath in an upset in 01 and over 50 in tourney in Texas

Terry Smallwood '68 best player in the 60's led GCHS to regional finals all conference at Union College

Bob Turner '60s held scoring records until Howe broke in 79

honorable mention

Rob Kinmon mid 90's could play all positions at 6'5"

Rusty Thomas 1975 solid shooting guard and great passer

David Shelton all "O" and little else but could really score

Agree with the starting 5. Robert Pfister, Mitch Jones, David Parks, and Tim Simpson should be added to the honorable mention.

Anybody done a Bourbon County one?

I don't know enough about anything pre-1990 to give it a run.

Corey Williams?

Derek Robinson

Preston LeMaster

Snoop Johnson

All names I'd have in the running.

Don't forget Jeff Royce leading Bourbon to the final game in '84.

Admittedly I don't follow CC's program closely. Best player i can recall would be Kevin Reinhardt. 2001 or 2002 grad.

Best ever Campbell Co. Player was Lee Lemos (1960). All State, avg.25 for Witchita undefeated frosh (freshman not eligible days of NCAA) along with Dave Stallworth 30. avg. Transferred to Eastern Ky. and led them to NCAA tournament in 64-65. Runner-up to Clem Haskins as OVC Player of the Year.

Don't have bio, but Tom Russell of the 1966 team was remembered as a man among boys.

Don't forget Jeff Royce leading Bourbon to the final game in '84.

It was either Craig Jefferson or Edmund Royce that year that pulled off every ball player's dream.....memory tells me he hit three last minute winning shots in their state tournament victories that year. Forget the fogginess...might have only been two. Do remember one was beyond mid court.

Nope. Grant isnt even close!! John is close to list but couldnt hold Rick Batches jock. John scoring points vs ( not to be mean) but 90's teams of bellevue Dayton Ludlow crap like that when Batsche going for double double almost every night with no 3 point line and playing vs GCL schools. Its no compassion

Not going to argue that about Batsche. Still think McDonald gets a starting nod. He's putting up the same numbers against the best the state has to offer.

Lewis County

PG- Terrence Smith ('11)

SG- Ralphie Davis Jr. (Backcourt mate of the Big O at UC and in the NBA, attended Vanceburg High School though) ('53?)

SF- Tyler Clark ('04)

PF- Jim Bloomfield (school's all-time leading scorer) ('78?)

C- Billy Howell (6'10") ('95?)

That's just a stab at it. I'm sure some of the older LC fans could put one together a little bit better but that's what I came up with.

Eddie Scott, Harold Billman, Howard Schumate, and Tracy Shunway all also deserve mentions here and could be in the starting 5. I am a young buck and admittedly have only seen Smith and Clark play on my list. One that could fall in here if he would have stayed with it in high school was Mark Blevins. Blevins graduated in '89 and was the QB of the last Lewis Co. football team with a winning record until the 2011 football team accomplished that goal. Blevins started varsity for the Lions in 85-86 as a freshman and 86-87 as a sophomore. He scored 40+ two or three times his sophomore year from the PG position. Legend has it he had an argument with the current coach before his junior season and called it quits on the hardwood for good. What could've been.

Eddie Scott, Harold Billman, Howard Schumate, and Tracy Shunway all also deserve mentions here and could be in the starting 5. I am a young buck and admittedly have only seen Smith and Clark play on my list. One that could fall in here if he would have stayed with it in high school was Mark Blevins. Blevins graduated in '89 and was the QB of the last Lewis Co. football team with a winning record until the 2011 football team accomplished that goal. Blevins started varsity for the Lions in 85-86 as a freshman and 86-87 as a sophomore. He scored 40+ two or three times his sophomore year from the PG position. Legend has it he had an argument with the current coach before his junior season and called it quits on the hardwood for good. What could've been.

Mark was a tremendous athlete, great at every sport. The coach when he quit was Rob Hall.

I always heard David Gaunce was awesome, played with Bloomfield. Chad Mefford was a great player in the mid 90s.