Your School's All-Time Starting 5

My top 5 Holmes players. Older folks forget how good Herndon was but he had to battle the CovCath giants from 1965/1966 and more than held his own. I wish I could remember his stats from high school but here is a bio on him from the draft review. He was drafted 3rd round by the Chicago Bulls, 45th overall in 1970.

Lou Herndon

G - Dicky Beal 1980

G - Bob Barton 1959

F - Doug Schloemer 1978

F - Jack Jennings 1988

C - Lou Herndon 1966

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 5 Holmes players. Older folks forget how good Herndon was but he had to battle the CovCath giants from 1965/1966 and more than held his own. I wish I could remember his stats from high school but here is a bio on him from the draft review. He was drafted 3rd round by the Chicago Bulls' date=' 45th overall in 1970. Lou Herndon G - Dicky Beal 1980 G - Bob Barton 1959 F - Doug Schloemer 1978 F - Jack Jennings 1988 C - Lou Herndon 1966

What about Paul 'Lefty' Walther, who just passed away.

http://rcnky.com/articles/2014/12/24/covington-native-nba-all-star-dies

What if Tollesboro had always been consolidated with Lewis County? Would anyone other than Chris Harrison from Tollesboro make the starting 5? I know very little about Tollesboro basketball history. Guess that comes with being raised on the opposite side of the county. :D

CLAY CO

Richie Farmer

Russ Chadwell

Shannon Hoskins

Steven Asher

Russ Farmer

Lloyd Collins

Robert Marcum

Antwan Henson

Gary Gregory

Skyler Garrison

David Blair

Seen several list from Clay Co. How did Pearl Hicks get left off those list. Pearl played at WKU

Clay County for me if I was building a team to win.

Richie Farmer - one of the true Goats of high school basketball.

Shannon Hoskins- probably more skilled than anyone else to wear the tiger uniform. Instant offense with range out of the gym.

Russ Chadwell- Imo better than Richie just didn't get the touches and hype.

Mark Smith- without a doubt the best high school defender I've ever seen. Played a nice mid range game.

Shane Brumley- without a doubt the best rebounder I've ever seen. Lead the state 2 years in a row. Would do all the dirty work and clean up everyone's misses without ever commanding the ball.

These aren't the 5 best individual players but if I'm building a team to compete with anyone, these are my horses.

Truth,

how good was Mark Jackson (of The Great American Race fame) when he played for Clay County. He's been to our local golf course a few times and he looks to be around 6'4. He said he played with Richie when Farmer was a freshman and Mark was a senior. He played in several state tournaments.

I'd like for someone from Knott County post a team for the schools from that county. Before the consolidation in 1975 Carr Creek, Hindman, and old Knott County High, had some very good players and teams. Carr Creek and Hindman each won state titles in the '40s and '50s. After the schools combined to create Knott County Central, the Patriots first team had a fantastic player named Herbie Stamper. He went in to star at Morehead State. There was also a player named Combs from the 1960s that played either in the NBA or the ABA.

I know there's many more great ones from that county. Of course, the present team has two players already signed to D-1 programs.

Frankfort High School

Bobby Bodell - class of '69 - D1 Maryland

Phillip Perry - '70 - D1 Wake Forest

Bobby Jones - '68 - D1 Drake University

Dwight Mattison - '68 D1 Morehead State University

Chris Current - '03 D1 University of Louisville

Who am I forgetting?