Where was D Allen today?

Cary Grant

Allen has a decision to make. Does he want to play pro basketball? If yes, he needs to stay at UK, practice every day against NBA level competition and work on getting to the floor and the next level. If he doesn't see pro basketball in his future, then transfer and have some fun playing college ball.

• Thanks 1

If he wasn't from Ky this thread wouldn't have been started.  If Frederick wasn't hurt, Allen would likely only be coming in the game with the walk ons.  On the current roster he's the 11th best player.  Usually the 11th best player only gets minutes in garbage time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Professor said:

Bob Tallent did that with Rupp in ‘66 and Rupp kicked him off the team. He transferred to GW in DC and led the nation in scoring for a couple seasons. He was part of Rupp’s Runts while at UK. 

Bob's refusal was due to an ankle injury as I have been told by Bob and family.

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

Bob's refusal was due to an ankle injury as I have been told by Bob and family. 

I wasn’t aware of that. Rupp sure wasn’t very understanding! His loss and George Washington University’s gain, I suppose. 

Bob also had two other brothers, younger than himself, go on to star at George Washington as well. All are the pride of little Maytown High in Floyd County. 

I am sorry, but Cal is a jerk for not playing him earlier. He had 20+ point leads and could have easily played him. I think he intentionally is embarrassing the kid and hopes he transfers. A great example for future Kentucky HS kids. Cal should have played the walk-ons earlier. He is so worried about his 5 stars getting drafted he forgets everyone else.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tigercat said:

I am sorry, but Cal is a jerk for not playing him earlier. He had 20+ point leads and could have easily played him. I think he intentionally is embarrassing the kid and hopes he transfers. A great example for future Kentucky HS kids. Cal should have played the walk-ons earlier. He is so worried about his 5 stars getting drafted he forgets everyone else.

There is zero chance I pull my starters with a 20 point lead and 15 minutes to go against UNC. Zero chance. Maybe a 20 point lead with 5 minutes to go I start working the bench in.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Professor said:

I wasn’t aware of that. Rupp sure wasn’t very understanding! His loss and George Washington University’s gain, I suppose. 

Bob also had two other brothers, younger than himself, go on to star at George Washington as well. All are the pride of little Maytown High in Floyd County. 

Mike played at GW and passed away last year. Pat is a successful entrepreneur in the DC area and became an outstanding amateur golfer. Saw him make a hole in one in US Senior Open. Oldest brother Bill lives in Florida...played at Presbyterian. Bob still resides in DC area. Did TV basketball regionally for a while. Their cousin was my good friend in college and that's how I got to know them, travel to Maytown to watch Pat play, and play golf with the Tallents  and their dad Jones. Talked to my buddy two days ago and caught up on all things Maytown lol. His dad was HS principal, mom librarian. Had the opportunity to meet many Eastern Kentucky/15th region legendary coaches. Real basketball!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

Mike played at GW and passed away last year. Pat is a successful entrepreneur in the DC area and became an outstanding amateur golfer. Saw him make a hole in one in US Senior Open. Oldest brother Bill lives in Florida...played at Presbyterian. Bob still resides in DC area. Did TV basketball regionally for a while. Their cousin was my good friend in college and that's how I got to know them, travel to Maytown to watch Pat play, and play golf with the Tallents  and their dad Jones. Talked to my buddy two days ago and caught up on all things Maytown lol. His dad was HS principal, mom librarian. Had the opportunity to meet many Eastern Kentucky/15th region legendary coaches. Real basketball!!

It’s amazing to have that much basketball greatness in one family, all from a tiny high school in eastern Kentucky. I saw Bob in an interview on YouTube with someone from the Mountain Sports Hall of Fame (the museum is located at the old Wayland High School gym and high school) and he talked about his early childhood, his high school playing days, his recruitment to Kentucky, and his transfer and play at GW. It was very interesting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigercat said:

Some of you missed my point.  Allen,  a scholarship player, could have played at any time during the game up 25+ with  4 starters. Cal did nothing more than embarrass the kid. How long was his leash on Boston? This was a la Billy G.

This is the Cal way of forcing a kid to move on from the program.