College Football Playoff: Top 25 (11/02/21)

16thBBall Fan

2 hours ago, John Anthony said:

On a neutral field, of the teams in front of UC, who do you believe they would beat?

I think they would beat both Oregon and Michigan State.

Bama and Georgia are the only two teams I would absolutely lay money on to be favored and cover the spread.

Ohio State would be a great game. OSU would be favored by 6-8 but they aren't a team that I think UC couldn't beat. OSU WR's v UC's secondary would be a lot of fun to watch. Would be a much more even matchup than what we saw 2 years ago.

The only people knocking UC and their schedule or conference are the ones who haven't actually turned on the film and watched them play multiple times and simply look at final scores. Most NFL scouts have UC as having 10 "draftable" guys on their boards in the upcoming draft.

Ridder, Ford, Pierce, Whyle, L Taylor on offense

Myjai, Beavers, Sauce, Bryant, and Cook on defense. Guys on the DL like Malik Vann, Curtis Brooks, and Marcus Brown could also have a good combine and get some looks as an UDFA. 

Does that mean UC should roll through their conference and not have close games like Tulane and Navy? Probably. But UC isn't the only team having close games against inferior competition. If OSU and Oregon or even Oklahoma run the table against the rest of their schedule, they deserve to be ranked ahead of UC. But you can't look at results through the first 8 weeks and tell me they should be ahead of UC right now. Same with Michigan State.

Why is Michigan State needing OT to beat Nebraska not being brought up?

What about OSU being in a 7 point game with Tulsa with 3 mins left? 

Oregon almost lost to Fresno State at home and were losing to Cal in the 4th quarter.

UC is the only team being penalized for having an "off week."

5 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Is there a website like calpreps.com that tracks college football using computer formulas and providing strength of schedule?

SP+, FPI, SOR are all different calculations used for the CFP rankings... Game control, strength of schedule, margin of victory are just a few metrics used to formulate the above ratings. 

According to Gary Barta, UC hasn't played anyone other than Notre Dame... The SP+ ESPN formula above says different.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Walter said:

5 weeks left...all UC can do is continue to win and hope that enough teams stumble along the way that the committee has no choice but to put them in.

It has always been about other teams stumbling. Which, in fairness, is a big reason UC is the highest rated non-P5 school ever in the first poll. You cite OU's struggles, and they are also ranked behind UC because of it. The others have faltered and I expect will continue to do so like every season. The Bearcats must win in dominating fashion. Everybody knows this.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bugatti said:

It has always been about other teams stumbling. Which, in fairness, is a big reason UC is the highest rated non-P5 school ever in the first poll. You cite OU's struggles, and they are also ranked behind UC because of it. The others have faltered and I expect will continue to do so like every season. The Bearcats must win in dominating fashion. Everybody knows this.

The committee took the last 2 weeks at face value.  UC struggled with two 1-6 teams.  Now UC could dominate from here on out and get to #5 and hope for some help.  It’s still early…

9 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

The committee took the last 2 weeks at face value.  UC struggled with two 1-6 teams.  Now UC could dominate from here on out and get to #5 and hope for some help.  It’s still early…

Absolutely. I genuinely like their chances to sneak in, mainly because the other players - aside from UGA - have looked suspect in multiple weeks. Every resume has some warts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

Absolutely. I genuinely like their chances to sneak in, mainly because the other players - aside from UGA - have looked suspect in multiple weeks. Every resume has some warts.

Will they keep Alabama in if they lose to Georgia, will it be a quality loss, enough to get the #4 seed.  The fact Bama is too tells me it’s possible, especially, if it’s a 31-28 game in favor of Georgia.

1 minute ago, John Anthony said:

Will they keep Alabama in if they lose to Georgia, will it be a quality loss, enough to get the #4 seed.  The fact Bama is too tells me it’s possible, especially, if it’s a 31-28 game in favor of Georgia.

Almost seems like that's what it is set up for. Honestly, it seems like it is set up to keep the group of 5 out. Scenarios that could get 2 SEC schools (including a 2 loss option if a tight game), 2 B1G schools (including a 2 loss option if it is a close game), Oregon should win out, etc, all ahead of UC. It's not even winning all your games and hope for an upset at that point. 

CFP = Farce, in my opinion.  Imagine if the NFL selected it's playoff teams by a committee instead.  There'd be people arguing that the Patriots should be in over the Bengals right now, because even though Cincinnati has a marquee win over Baltimore, they've lost to Chicago and the Jets, a team that New England has manhandled...TWICE!  And hey, the Patriots have been to the Super Bowl how many times, and won it?

This just blows the whole "I like CFB, because every week matters" mantra out of the water.  Because it doesn't.  You can literally win Every.Single.Game...and not make the playoffs because of what someone "thinks" about your team.

If they want you in (or out), they'll come up with a way to justify it.  It's great if your team benefits from it (Ohio State, Bama, etc.)...but it sucks if your team is the one getting hosed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Anthony said:

I really feel if Alabama loses to Georgia in the SEC Championship game the  committee will not vote for them in the final four. They really don't want that debate over two SEC teams and if possible would LOVE a Big 10, Big 12, SEC, and PAC 12 field. You just never know. If Bama wins out, oh baby.

5 hours ago, John Anthony said:

I don't think so I don't think there have ever been a two loss team to make the playoff.