Jefferson County Public Schools "Test to Play" program

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Ok. Let me rephrase. What reasons does JCPS give for requiring the test?

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

Who knows, judging from the head of JCPS a God complex. 

I believe the theory behind it is that even people or in this case students/kids whether vaccinated or not can transmit the virus.  Therefore, the JCPS school board voted to enact the Test to Stay and the Test to Play initiatives not the superintendent (Mr. Polio).  It is already taxing an already taxed admin system.

I coach archery and girls lacrosse at a JCPS school and it will create a headache weekly.  

What if a kid misses the day he is supposed to get tested?  They have the option to pay to get a test and show a negative test PRIOR to attending a practice or game.  No other way.  Coaches/administrators are held to make sure each student is approved to play weekly off of an administrative list.  Coaches already have enough on their plates.  Now this on top of it.  If you are not vaccinated, I'd go along with that.  But you are basically, dismissing the value of having a received the vaccine with this policy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I believe the theory behind it is that even people or in this case students/kids whether vaccinated or not can transmit the virus.  Therefore, the JCPS school board voted to enact the Test to Stay and the Test to Play initiatives not the superintendent (Mr. Polio).  It is already taxing an already taxed admin system.

I coach archery and girls lacrosse at a JCPS school and it will create a headache weekly.  

What if a kid misses the day he is supposed to get tested?  They have the option to pay to get a test and show a negative test PRIOR to attending a practice or game.  No other way.  Coaches/administrators are held to make sure each student is approved to play weekly off of an administrative list.  Coaches already have enough on their plates.  Now this on top of it.  If you are not vaccinated, I'd go along with that.  But you are basically, dismissing the value of having a received the vaccine with this policy.

I have a hard time believing JCPS is making a major change like this and Polio isn't for it.   Or put another way, if Polio isn't for it, it would not be happening. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, theguru said:

I have a hard time believing JCPS is making a major change like this and Polio isn't for it.   Or put another way, if Polio isn't for it, it would not be happening. 

I honestly don't know if Mr. Polio is for or against either policies.  I do know that the voting records of those on the JCPS school board speak to an overarching agenda that has already put JCPS schools/teams at a disadvantage from the beginning of the pandemic.  Unfortunately, I don't see that changing.

Additionally, the winter sports are mostly inside sports, so that has something to do with it I suppose.  But what about in the spring.  I've got my fingers crossed this policy will go away when we return outside for the 2022 Spring Season (baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Purple88 said:

I honestly don't know if Mr. Polio is for or against either policies.  I do know that the voting records of those on the JCPS school board speak to an overarching agenda that has already put JCPS schools/teams at a disadvantage from the beginning of the pandemic.  Unfortunately, I don't see that changing.

Additionally, the winter sports are mostly inside sports, so that has something to do with it I suppose.  But what about in the spring.  I've got my fingers crossed this policy will go away when we return outside for the 2022 Spring Season (baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc).

I look at it as it is JCPS so who knows what crazy ideas they will come up with all of which will probably hurt children and make things tough on the adults (coaches and teachers) that are bending over backwards to help children.

Clearly I am not a fan, I guess that is what sitting through a couple of their board meetings does to a guy. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, theguru said:

I look at it as it is JCPS so who knows what crazy ideas they will come up with all of which will probably hurt children and make things tough on the adults (coaches and teachers) that are bending over backwards to help children.

Clearly I am not a fan, I guess that is what sitting through a couple of their board meetings does to a guy. 

Sounds to me like the lawyers will be lining up with injunctions, lawsuits, parent protests, and media involvement. This will be very interesting. The private schools have probably all begun fund raising campaigns to expand facilities lol.

Just now, 9068 said:

Sounds to me like the lawyers will be lining up with injunctions, lawsuits, parent protests, and media involvement. This will be very interesting. The private schools have probably all begun fund raising campaigns to expand facilities lol.

I hope so.  Clearly a lot of schools systems need a lot more pushback from common folk. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, 9068 said:

St. X is going to 100% demonstrated need for tuition assistance so they are ready.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, theguru said:

This.

Get your kids out of JCPS and if you are the parent of an 8th grader or below make other plans for your children. 

Might I recommend Bullitt East.  We border Jefferson Co. and will accept newcomers with open arms 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not only could it potentially mess over some of the JCPS schools & athletes, it could mess over schools and athletes that play them.  Imagine having to quarantine b/c you just played a JCPS school who just had some of their kids test positive?  I think it makes it to where many teams won't want to play them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Unrivaled97 said:

Might I recommend Bullitt East.  We border Jefferson Co. and will accept newcomers with open arms 🤣

Friend of mine moved out there this past year and kids were at JCPS but now at Bullitt East. I think that trend continues. Counties that border Jefferson will benefit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Friend of mine moved out there this past year and kids were at JCPS but now at Bullitt East. I think that trend continues. Counties that border Jefferson will benefit.

I couldn't agree more.  There is a reason why 20 years ago, Bullitt East had 600 kids in the school and now they have over 1600.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Well, the wealthier families will move away. The poor families will remain, as they always have. And the design of JCPS will continue to favor a certain set of schools at the expense of several others. These move-aways rarely hurt Manual and Male like they hurt Iroquois and Western.

• Like 2