School Board decisions on participating in Kentucky's Supplemental School Year Program (SSYP)

13 minutes ago, brooksville said:

Some do not have facilities or resources to accommodate more students than what they already have.

I would assume this to be a major factor in most districts. It may be more of a disadvantage to the students if the class sizes are affected. I really only see an academic benefit for younger students myself.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

How many of these schools that are opting out have allowed pre high school students redo a year? I don't see a difference. If you will allow a 7th or 8th grader to redo a year then, you should be opting in to this plan.

Unless I'm mistaken, the law as written is to be applied district-wide to all grade levels. So no school districts should be allowing 7th and 8th graders but not allowing high schools.

These are taken from separate paragraphs, but are both in the text of the law:

"Notwithstanding any passing grades a public school student may receive during the 2020-2021 school year, any student enrolled in a Kentucky public school in grades kindergarten  through 12 during the 2020-2021 school year may request to use the 2021-2022 school year as a supplemental school year to retake or supplement the courses or grades the student has already taken."

"A local board of education shall not approve or reject requests on an individual basis, but shall determine by June 1, 2021, whether the district shall or shall not accept all requests."

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the law as written is to be applied district-wide to all grade levels. These are from separate paragraphs, but are both in the text of the law:

"Notwithstanding any passing grades a public school student may receive during the 2020-
2021 school year, any student enrolled in a Kentucky public school in grades kindergarten  through 12 during the 2020-2021 school year may request to use the 2021-2022 school year as a supplemental school year to retake or supplement the courses or grades the student has already taken.
"

"A local board of education shall not approve or reject requests on an individual basis, but shall determine by June 1, 2021, whether the district shall or shall not accept all requests."

Thanks for that info.

My question is have these schools allowed it in the past? Have there been students in previous years that went through the 7th or 8th grade for a second time?  That is a general question for everyone, not specifically for you.

52 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Thanks for that info.

My question is have these schools allowed it in the past? Have there been students in previous years that went through the 7th or 8th grade for a second time?  That is a general question for everyone, not specifically for you.

If kids fail a year or perhaps they feel they are behind whatever they have always been able to have a redo.  Zeke Pike did it.  A current local varsity baseball player repeated 7th or 8th grade.  Some schools are reluctant to "fail" kids for a variety of reasons, but we all know people who were "held back". The difference, I would assume, there is an extra year of athletic eligibility and it being easier for the parents to do.

16 minutes ago, rjal said:

If kids fail a year or perhaps they feel they are behind whatever they have always been able to have a redo.  Zeke Pike did it.  A current local varsity baseball player repeated 7th or 8th grade.  Some schools are reluctant to "fail" kids for a variety of reasons, but we all know people who were "held back". The difference, I would assume, there is an extra year of athletic eligibility and it being easier for the parents to do.

I see virtually no difference in those two situations.  If a school has allowed students to repeat grades in previous years, they are being hypocritical if they do not opt in to this plan.

45 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I see virtually no difference in those two situations.  If a school has allowed students to repeat grades in previous years, they are being hypocritical if they do not opt in to this plan.

I think the big difference is the sheer size of the number of redos.  Systems have had ways to remediate in the past by holding students back (even if research shows that academic gains by doing so can be minimal at best) but it was for one or two students.  This is asking districts to accommodate the potential for lots of holdbacks (depending on the district in question) and some don't like what that does for staffing, resources, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

I think the big difference is the sheer size of the number of redos.  Systems have had ways to remediate in the past by holding students back (even if research shows that academic gains by doing so can be minimal at best) but it was for one or two students.  This is asking districts to accommodate the potential for lots of holdbacks (depending on the district in question) and some don't like what that does for staffing, resources, etc.

That is a fair and valid point.