Covington Catholic 71 Ashland Blazer 62

addout

17 minutes ago, Bluesport said:

Couldn't have said it better. The spread was 10 points or so the entire night.

That 10 point spread happened in the first quarter of the game when Tomcat center Marcum was picking up 3 quick fouls and CCH was marching to the free throw line. The last 3 quarters+ were fairly even between the 2 teams. As for CCH not playing well, neither did Ashland. The texts I received said “Ashland can’t hit anything from the floor and the refs keep calling fouls on our end of the floor.” 
Anyway, with a free throw discrepancy of 30-2 you don’t have to play well, just make free throws. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, addout said:

I won't argue intent, strategy or flow of the game, I will simply stick to facts. Ashland Blazer has played two games in Northern Kentucky this season and shot 10 free throws and their opponents shot 55.

Wow. Hard to imagine that being a coincidence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Professor said:

That 10 point spread happened in the first quarter of the game when Tomcat center Marcum was picking up 3 quick fouls and CCH was marching to the free throw line. The last 3 quarters+ were fairly even between the 2 teams. As for CCH not playing well, neither did Ashland. The texts I received said “Ashland can’t hit anything from the floor and the refs keep calling fouls on our end of the floor.” 
Anyway, with a free throw discrepancy of 30-2 you don’t have to play well, just make free throws. 

Two of Marcum's fouls were obvious calls. The third may have been a 50/50 call, but the refs let him off easy by not calling a T when he spiked the ball out of frustration. Even with Marcum, CovCath had a big advantage in the low post. A big advantage in the low post usually leads to fouls called on the smaller team. 

On 2/27/2021 at 6:59 AM, The Professor said:

True.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:35 AM, Bluesport said:

They will not. CCH did not play well.

On a neutral floor and CCHS don’t get handed charity stripe points, Tomcats win this game!  You have to admit that CCHS shot 32 free throws.   Ashland shot 2.  Come on man!

2 minutes ago, Reno said:

On a neutral floor and CCHS don’t get handed charity stripe points, Tomcats win this game!  You have to admit that CCHS shot 32 free throws.   Ashland shot 2.  Come on man!

Not a chance. Were you there as I was? Those fouls were legit, and Ashland just cannot handle CCH down low.

40 minutes ago, Bluesport said:

If anything, I would expect this game to be worse if they play again. CCH couldn't hit a open shot.

You do realize that you just agreed with Professor’s quote and then changed your stance saying the game would be worse.  Lol.  Obviously you are emotional about this unbalanced Ref Called game so we will just agree to disagree.  

8 hours ago, Reno said:

You do realize that you just agreed with Professor’s quote and then changed your stance saying the game would be worse.  Lol.  Obviously you are emotional about this unbalanced Ref Called game so we will just agree to disagree.  

Didn't agree with his entire quote- said it was "true" to not play well, but just have to hit free throws to win a game-I agree with that. Not emotional at all-my team won, and they couldn't hit a shot. Highly unlikely they meet again unless the brackets unfold that way, so this is all a moot point. Good look to Ashland the rest of the season.

Just for fun, I thought I’d look at the stats on KHSAA for this game. Ashland attempted 28 3s. Cov Cath attempted 8. That could have a lot to do with the difference in free throw attempts. Not saying the refs weren’t a little whistle happy towards Ashland. But when one team takes the majority of their shots from the outside, and the other the inside. Inside draws more fouls. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, HoopJunkie said:

Just for fun, I thought I’d look at the stats on KHSAA for this game. Ashland attempted 28 3s. Cov Cath attempted 8. That could have a lot to do with the difference in free throw attempts. Not saying the refs weren’t a little whistle happy towards Ashland. But when one team takes the majority of their shots from the outside, and the other the inside. Inside draws more fouls. 

I said the same earlier in the thread. CovCath is a nightmare matchup inside for the Tomcats this year and I doubt a second matchup would be any different in outcome, unless Ashland was hitting a crazy amount of three pointers.

• Like 4

On 2/26/2021 at 11:45 PM, addout said:

Marcum played less than 12 minutes total in the game before fouling out. I think he only play 2 and a half minutes in the first half.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:29 AM, TheDeuce said:

Wow. Hard to imagine that being a coincidence. 

Is it a coincidence that local residents don't speed as much when their city is a speed trap?