Covington Catholic 71 Ashland Blazer 62

addout

9 minutes ago, addout said:

Final from Covington Cath. Interesting statistic Covington Cath. shot 30 free throws hitting 26 and Ashland shot 2 hitting 1.

I didn’t watch the game because it was blocked without a $10 fee but that 30-2 discrepancy is not because Ashland relies too much on 3’s. Every game I’ve watched them this year, which there’s a few I wasn’t able to see, they are constantly attacking the basket, especially PG Colin Porter. Ethan Sellars, Cole Villers and Zander Carter will all drive the ball to score or get kick outs 3’s.  

To get outscored from the foul line by 25 points and lose by 9 on the scoreboard tells me these two teams are probably a toss up on a neutral floor. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Professor said:

I didn’t watch the game because it was blocked without a $10 fee but that 30-2 discrepancy is not because Ashland relies too much on 3’s. Every game I’ve watched them this year, which there’s a few I wasn’t able to see, they are constantly attacking the basket, especially PG Colin Porter. Ethan Sellars, Cole Villers and Zander Carter will all drive the ball to score or get kick outs 3’s.  

To get outscored from the foul line by 25 points and lose by 9 on the scoreboard tells me these two teams are probably a toss up on a neutral floor. 

I would agree completely with that statement. I would further posit that Ashland would very much like a rematch on a neutral state tournament floor.

• Like 1

Some of the free throw discrepancy was Ashland intentionally fouling in the 4th quarter to try to lengthen the game and CovCath hitting both ends of one and ones. Most of it was Ashland didn't match up well inside and CovCath was attacking the basket nearly every time down the court. The crew doing the game is one of the better ones in NKY. Game was about a 10 point spread most of the night. A couple more made 3s by the Tomcats and they could have been right back in contention. A couple more made 3s by CovCath and the score could have been lopsided.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Some of the free throw discrepancy was Ashland intentionally fouling in the 4th quarter to try to lengthen the game and Covcath hitting both ends of one and ones. Most of it was Ashland didn't match up well inside and CovCath was attacking the basket nearly every time down the court. The crew doing the game is one of the better one in NKY. Game was about a 10 point spread most of the night. A couple more made 3s by the Tomcats and they could have been right back in contention. A couple more made 3s by CovCath and the score could have been lopsided.

I won't argue intent, strategy or flow of the game, I will simply stick to facts. Ashland Blazer has played two games in Northern Kentucky this season and shot 10 free throws and their opponents shot 55.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Samcro said:

Sounds like Ashland shouldn’t have fouled so much.  I’m kidding.  I wonder what the fourth quarter free throw totals were for CCH.  

I know at the half CCH had shot 12 free throws with one player shooting 10 of them. Ashland shot zero free throws. Ashland’s big guy, 6’8 Sean Marcum, had 3 fouls on him in the first quarter. 
Now , I didn’t watch the game but I was getting texts from someone who was at the game. 
I wished I could have listened to Dickie Martin broadcast the game but I couldn’t find him on the radio through iTunes. He really gets wound up in games like this, lol. 

3 minutes ago, The Professor said:

I know at the half CCH had shot 12 free throws with one player shooting 10 of them. Ashland shot zero free throws. Ashland’s big guy, 6’8 Sean Marcum, had 3 fouls on him in the first quarter. 
Now , I didn’t watch the game but I was getting texts from someone who was at the game. 
I wished I could have listened to Dickie Martin broadcast the game but I couldn’t find him on the radio through iTunes. He really gets wound up in games like this, lol. 

Marcum played less than 12 minutes total in the game before fouling out. I think he only play 2 and a half minutes in the first half.

4 hours ago, The Professor said:

I say that on a neutral floor, Blazer wins.  30-2 is insane.  Sounds to me like they didn’t want the Tomcats leaving with the “W”!  

8 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

Some of the free throw discrepancy was Ashland intentionally fouling in the 4th quarter to try to lengthen the game and CovCath hitting both ends of one and ones. Most of it was Ashland didn't match up well inside and CovCath was attacking the basket nearly every time down the court. The crew doing the game is one of the better ones in NKY. Game was about a 10 point spread most of the night. A couple more made 3s by the Tomcats and they could have been right back in contention. A couple more made 3s by CovCath and the score could have been lopsided.

Couldn't have said it better. The spread was 10 points or so the entire night.