Murray at Mayfield Predictions/Updates (2A Playoffs) ***Upset Alert***

DevilMayCare

Tigers vs. Cards  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/28/2020 at 12:00 AM

Murray eyeing an end to three streaks in one night

After vanquishing Caldwell County a second time, Murray sets its course for War Memorial Stadium, aka, where visitor's postseason dreams go to die. Mayfield's last playoff loss at home came at the hands of Danville in the 2003 1A semifinals. That's seventeen years and 46 straight home playoff wins since the Cards last ended their season on home soil.

Additionally, Mayfield's run of eleven straight district titles is also on the line this Friday. 

Murray's bid to cage the Cardinals for the first time since 1997 came up short when the Tigers failed to convert on a two pointer in overtime on October 23rd. The following week was the last time we saw Mayfield. With the cancellation of their regular season finale and a first round bye, the Cards will have gone nearly a month without game action by the time they take the field against Murray.

4nhifq.thumb.jpg.40ea0a8df19e6bfed525017195c40974.jpg

As a Beechwood Tiger fan you want your toughest opponents out of the way, especially with Mayfield being ahead of us in RPI. But I see no way Mayfield loses this game. The winning tradition in the playoffs is engrained in all the minds of everyone that will be around or in this game. The Cards win this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mayfield will have back Galbreath who has not played since the Caldwell game. He is the best runner and linebacker on the team. He should make a difference. Murray played Mayfield tough in their last meeting and had a very good chance to win and I think that will give them confidence that they can get the job done. It's been a month since Mayfield last played, so I don't know if that hurts or helps but this is Murray and that should be enough to get their extra competitive juices flowing.  

Galbreath is one heck of a player and will make a difference! There are a bunch of x factors with Mayfield not playing in a long time but I have no doubts that they will be ready. The first game was so hard fought, I hope we get the same thing this time. If your ever going to pick Murray to upset, it would have to be this year and this situation.

Murray - 27

Mayfield - 24

• Like 1

Historically it has seemed like a close regular season game for Mayfield usually leads to a much wider margin in the second game. I know Murray is a different team and Mayfield isn't as good as some past versions, but I still think Mayfield clicks in November. I'm expecting a margin of at least two scores.

• Like 1

I think Murray has to score 4 times to expect to win this time. Which is no easy task, I’m not sure they can score 35. They can’t turn it over and have to generate some explosive plays especially passing. It will be close and obviously I wouldn’t be surprised if Mayfield wins. I just have a good feeling about it.

13 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

I’m surprised the poll is in favor of Mayfield 18-3. I expect this to be a really close game and this is Murray’s chance and I think they get it done 35-21.

Murray has beaten Mayfield about 3 times since 1960, My thinking is if you vote for Murray to win then you're really just voting against Mayfield for whatever reason.

Murray could win this game based on their previous performance against Mayfield....I just don't expect them to do it.

• Like 1

These are wins Murray has over Mayfield from the early 60's when my parents were in school, add the 7-0 win from the early 90's and there is a total of six wins, not sure about 1965-80 as to if there were any wins for Murray.

1960 Murray 20-13

1961 Murray 8-6

1962 Murray 32-0

1963 Murray 27-6

1964 Murray 13-0

1 hour ago, breds740 said:

These are wins Murray has over Mayfield from the early 60's when my parents were in school, add the 7-0 win from the early 90's and there is a total of six wins, not sure about 1965-80 as to if there were any wins for Murray.

1960 Murray 20-13

1961 Murray 8-6

1962 Murray 32-0

1963 Murray 27-6

1964 Murray 13-0

1964 Mayfield 13-0

All time record is 82-15 with 2 ties, Mayfield.

Murray won 7-6 in 76 and 7-0 in 97, those are their most recent.

I would venture to say Murray got most of their wins in leather helmets.

Friday night will be the 100th meeting.

• theguru changed the title to Murray at Mayfield Predictions/Updates (2A Playoffs) ***Upset Alert***
  • theguru locked this topic