The Last Dance: Michael Jordan documentary

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jordan/ Lebron debate is going to rage on forever no matter what. Neither side will change their position. But the notion that MJ wouldn’t have left Chicago if he was in the same position year after year that Lebron faced in Cleveland is ridiculous. Lebron left Cleveland because it was a horribly run organization that lucked in to one of the greatest players the sport has ever seen and then they did nothing. The Bulls were nothing before Jordan got there but then they worked to surround him with talent and they happened to hire the greatest coach in NBA history to coach them. It’s in no way fair to compare the two situations.

LeBron is every bit responsible for the people he played with as anybody else, in both Cleveland and Miami, and now LA.

We all know Mike was an all time great defender, one time winning Defensive Player of the Year. He led the league in steals on three separate occasions, including his league leading 3.16 per game in '87/'88 which is 8th best in NBA history.

I loathe Bobby Knight, but always appreciated his comment regarding the Portland Trail Blazers heading into the '84 draft. When asked who they should take - since it was known Hakeem was going #1 to the Rockets - Knight said they should draft Jordan. "The Trail Blazers have Clyde Drexler at SG and need a Center." To which Knight responded, "Then draft Jordan to play Center."

The Jordan/ Lebron debate is going to rage on forever no matter what. Neither side will change their position. But the notion that MJ wouldn’t have left Chicago if he was in the same position year after year that Lebron faced in Cleveland is ridiculous. Lebron left Cleveland because it was a horribly run organization that lucked in to one of the greatest players the sport has ever seen and then they did nothing. The Bulls were nothing before Jordan got there but then they worked to surround him with talent and they happened to hire the greatest coach in NBA history to coach them. It’s in no way fair to compare the two situations.

Jackson ended up as that but when they hired him it was his 1st NBA head coaching job.

LeBron is every bit responsible for the people he played with as anybody else, in both Cleveland and Miami, and now LA.

Oh yes Lebron was totally responsible for his second best player being Mo Williams in Cleveland and having David Griffin as his owner. All Lebrons fault. Jordan would have left for greener pastures too.

Let's not pretend the Bulls organization is run like a well oiled machine. Pretty well known that operation was a dumpster fire before and during Jordan's tenure as well as afterwards. By hook or crook, the right pieces got in place to make it work.

Let's not pretend the Bulls organization is run like a Fortune 500 Company. Pretty well known that operation was a dumpster fire before and during Jordan's tenure as well as afterwards. By hook or crook, the right pieces got in place to make it work.

Watching the documentary it's pretty easy to pick up on that.

Reinsdorf is regarded as a terrible owner. Dumb luck or whatever it was, he won six NBA titles and a World Series with the White Sox.

Barkley is saying the attacks on Krause are wrong. Reinsdorf is the one who wanted to break up the team because he didn't want to pay everyone.

I have always laid the blame for the dismantling of Chicago at Krause's feet. He gets justifiable blame for that. That being said, even I am like man, they're dragging this guy. I hate that he's not alive to defend himself. Even though I agree with the narrative, they are bulldozing him.

Five and six were the two best episodes thus far, in my opinion. Next episodes will presumably start with Jordan's dad being murdered, his retirement, stint through the minors through the Bulls losing to the Magic in '95, while also progressing through the '98 campaign the first couple rounds of the playoffs.

I think last night was my least favorite of the series so far, but still some things I found pretty interesting:

1) I think I could listen to a whole episode with Gary Payton talking.

2) I didn't realize what Jordan's salary was while playing AA ball for the WhiteSox

2b) It was interesting hearing why they put Jordan in AA

3) Jordan talking about being a nice guy. Great.